Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 21 2014, 12:43 PM   #331
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 3...

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post

Plays Kirk. Glad I could help.
That's a matter of opinion.
No, it isn't. It's what he does. You don't have to like it. You don't have to add it to your personal headcanon. You can blank it from your signature. You can go kicking and screaming into every theater on the planet voicing your displeasure. You can take out an ad in the local paper decrying the movies. Yet when you have to deal with the reality where other people live and work every day, nothing you say, or believe, will take away the fact that Chris Pine is now Captain James T. Kirk. He has been blessed, and endorsed, by the people who make Star Trek happen. It is a part of history now; a part of reality. Let it go.
+1

Pine is Kirk. Been watching since 1975 and Pine does an excellent job.
Old June 21 2014, 01:58 PM   #332
feek61
Captain

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I don't read a whole lot about the behind the scenes stuff, as it allows for a more enjoyable viewing experience to just 'see it for what it is'. More, pure fun that way. Just as it was in the early 70's.

I had no idea, nor would have guessed that Mr. Mignonga is 52. He looks fantastic! Besides, chronological age isn't really a factor in acting. It didn't shatter my credibility with James Daly in Requiem for Methuselah.

Everyone's talking about the actors, which I suppose is normal. But I'd like to throw a kudos to the behind-the-camera work. In terms of lighting, for instance, this shot was most impressive to me: talk about faithful to the source!

Great care (and time) was taken in trying to duplicate the beginning sequence so that it would match "Mirror, Mirror" as closely as possible. Here you can see the reference photos that we were trying to match. Also note that Vic is not in the transporter chamber; agghhh, the magic of illusion!!

Old June 21 2014, 03:27 PM   #333
Warped9
Admiral

Plays Kirk. Glad I could help.
That's a matter of opinion.
No, it isn't.
Yes, it's is. And I'm far from being the only one who thinks so. If you want to give Pine a hug, go ahead. But I'm find his characterization unrecognizable as well as unlikable.
Old June 21 2014, 06:47 PM   #334
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Yes! This is a great example of the lighting quality. This is probably why it feels so much like TOS.
Indeed. Lighting is so crucial. It really wouldn't do to just illuminate the sets, especially with Star Trek. It would be too easy, without the care Feek61 illustrated above (thanks for that, by the way! ), for it to have the vibe of something like a Saturday Night Live skit!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 07:12 PM   #335
Chemahkuu
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yes, it's is. And I'm far from being the only one who thinks so.
I'd go so far as to say that if anyone watching a few minutes of Chris Pine's performance of Kirk cannot recognise the character almost immediately, they must not have watched much of TOS.

His perfomance is more spot on than a great many pretenders to that role I've seen. TOS Purists playing dress up is cute and all, well, maybe the first couple of times, after 50 or so it's become embarrasing.

But they, as the small minority they are, no matter how much they pretend to be otherwise, are the only ones making these complaints.

And since the fandom no longer care what they think, nevermind the larger audience, or the general public, there is no reason for their drivel to be listened to.

But listen to it we seem to have to, for the small few for whom this is a point of contention out of a deep seated personal bias that got old years ago, before NuTrek even came long.

And so long as Abrams continues not only to drown them out with entertaining Trek but to further encourage the fandom to drown them out as well, I can only applaud him, Pine, and the others further in their endeavour in making Trek something beautiful again.

And I enjoy it all the more, for you, in particular, crying yourself to sleep each night because of it. You (barely) living anachronism of a person.
Old June 21 2014, 07:25 PM   #336
Warped9
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Yes, it's is. And I'm far from being the only one who thinks so.
I'd go so far as to say that if anyone watching a few minutes of Chris Pine's performance of Kirk cannot recognise the character almost immediately, they must not have watched much of TOS.
And with this sttement you have just lost all credibility. Back to our regularly scheduled thread subject.
Old June 21 2014, 07:45 PM   #337
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Can we save this thread to talk about STC, please?
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 07:46 PM   #338
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Can we not make this yet another JJ Trek argument? Sheesh...
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 07:46 PM   #339
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Pine is good as Kirk. He's not Shatner--he's not trying to be--and the new films are not trying to reproduce TOS.

What STC is doing, and doing a bangup job, is picking up where TOS left off.

Two completely different things. I like both.
Old June 21 2014, 10:03 PM   #340
E-DUB
Captain

Thank you, Urbandefault. While I can relate to those who are not totally comfortable with NuTrek,, I also can't help thinking that it's given Trek, as a whole, a shot in the arm, which has rebounded to more people seeking out the earlier incarnations. As noted elsewhere, it's been twenty years shince "The Jem'hadar" aired.

Those who feel obligated to be whiny, trash other people's opinions, and just be general jackwipes should go to other boards and discuss politics where such behavior is par for the course.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 10:16 PM   #341
Warped9
Admiral

E-DUB wrote: View Post
Those who feel obligated to be whiny, trash other people's opinions, and just be general jackwipes should go to other boards and discuss politics where such behavior is par for the course.
I wish they would, but I have to tolerate them anyway.
Old June 21 2014, 10:54 PM   #342
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I wish they would, but I have to tolerate them anyway.
You'll find "jackwipes" everywhere.

Reasonable people with different values can find common ground somewhere in the middle and don't have to call names and point fingers.

When you see people doing that, it's because they have nothing of value left to say.
Old June 21 2014, 10:56 PM   #343
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I would get so into his performance, that when he would back away, and I could see his face directly, I would realize that this isn't TOS, and that wasn't William Shatner ...
You've just described perfectly my experience watching Vic/Kirk. Thanks.
You're welcome!
I think a lot of other people feel the same way, too.

BillJ wrote: View Post
+1

Pine is Kirk. Been watching since 1975 and Pine does an excellent job.
Indeed he does. I easily see him as a young Kirk, still brash and defiant. You can tell he'll become a more mature, level headed Captain, but right now he's still more emotion than intellectual, which is perfectly fine, because he's still young and new to the game.

feek61 wrote: View Post
Great care (and time) was taken in trying to duplicate the beginning sequence so that it would match "Mirror, Mirror" as closely as possible. Here you can see the reference photos that we were trying to match. Also note that Vic is not in the transporter chamber; agghhh, the magic of illusion!!
It shows. It really does. I'm not detracting from other productions; they all work hard, but STC really manages to capture not only the look, but the essence of the original series. In short, I'm not thinking to myself, "look at the gum drop button lights, and the 60s color scheme," because I'm too busy being engrossed in the story to notice the small touches, until later when I realize I'm not watching TOS, I'm watching a very faithful adaptation.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Indeed. Lighting is so crucial. It really wouldn't do to just illuminate the sets, especially with Star Trek. It would be too easy, without the care Feek61 illustrated above (thanks for that, by the way! ), for it to have the vibe of something like a Saturday Night Live skit!
TOS made use of stage lighting quite a bit, and STC is no different. I used to love the lighting effects, especially ones like these:

The lighting tells part of the story, and the crew seems like they've got the lighting down pat.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
<clip>
Agreed. Pine does a terrific job. You can see elements of future Kirk in him, but he's still a bad boy who wants to do good things, and it shows. I can't wait to see how he develops for ST3.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

💖 The Key To One's Heart Starts In The Other... 💖
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 11:46 PM   #344
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Maurice's quote from Orson Welles is very much on target when it comes to TOS (which was always under tight budget constraints) and those that would emulate it. Lighting is one of the ways to create mood and atmosphere as well as various color schemes in lieu of expensive and time-consuming paint. It's a great example of confronting what appears to be a limitation and creating something better.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 12:21 AM   #345
Dix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
Pine is Kirk. Pine does an excellent job.
Pine is not Kirk. Pine is Captain Douche, a moronic version from another universe. Vic Mignogna is Kirk. Pine does a lousy job, bad actor. Vic Mignogna does a great job, good actor.
Dix is offline   Reply With Quote