Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 12 2011, 06:18 PM   #106
Christopher
Writer

Re: Could a Lost Era set between 2161 and 2265 work?

There are differences of interpretation between Crucible and the rest of the Trek Lit continuity that preclude it being explained as simply an alternate timeline. For instance, its explanation of what chronitons are is inconsistent with DTI: Watching the Clock and Forgotten History. Also, several minor characters from TOS are given different first names in Crucible than they were in other Trek lit -- for instance, Crucible has Ed Leslie and John Kyle while other Trek lit calls them Ryan Leslie and Winston Kyle.

(Sorry it took so long to reply... I forgot to clear my browser cache and just kept getting the "BBS is closed" message for days. Oops.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2011, 09:53 AM   #107
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Christopher wrote: View Post
There are differences of interpretation between Crucible and the rest of the Trek Lit continuity that preclude it being explained as simply an alternate timeline. For instance, its explanation of what chronitons are is inconsistent with DTI: Watching the Clock and Forgotten History. Also, several minor characters from TOS are given different first names in Crucible than they were in other Trek lit -- for instance, Crucible has Ed Leslie and John Kyle while other Trek lit calls them Ryan Leslie and Winston Kyle.

(Sorry it took so long to reply... I forgot to clear my browser cache and just kept getting the "BBS is closed" message for days. Oops.)
Good points, Christopher, and I thank you for your reply. With regards to different explanations for chronitons, I didn't remember that, but it would be the sort of detail that I would overlook to be completely honest.

As for the different names given for the various TOS recurring characters, your point is taken, however various different novels and comics have given varying names to the TOS characters over the years, so that's not really a deal breaker for me. If this was a barometer of a different timeline/continuity, then The Buried Age would be placed in a different one from Q & A, because Lieutenant Torres (from "Encounter at Farpoint") was given a different first name in each.
Old December 13 2011, 02:33 PM   #108
Christopher
Writer

Well, the point is, the authors seem content to treat Crucible as an alternate fictional interpretation rather than a parallel timeline within the same metacontinuity (because it was consciously conceived as being a standalone work with no continuity ties to the other literature, just to TOS & TAS themselves), so whatever Crucible established about the fate of Thelin would not in any way preclude a live, adult Thelin from turning up in a main-continuity novel.

Old June 19 2014, 08:31 AM   #109
Leto_II
Commander

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
The first contact with the Cardassians wasn't until the 2320s, unless you count the exiled Cardassian poet who spent some time on Vulcan during Tobin Dax's lifetime.
I know there is a comic that focuses on that, but where in "canon" does that little gem crop up?

First Contact between Cardassia and the Federation in the JJverse was a lot earlier than the 2320s as Uhura asked for a Cardassian something-or-other while at the bar in Star Trek 09 so who's to say it didn't occur earlier than the 2320s in the Prime-verse.
In one of the Vanguard novels, set in the mid-2260s, it's mentioned that Starfleet Intelligence has recently become aware of a "new" alien government nearby, the Cardassian Union.

Also, in Margaret Wander Bonnano's movie-era novel Unspoken Truth, set in 2286 (the same year as Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home), it's mentioned that the Starfleet captain of the science vessel that Lt. Saavik signs onto hails from a Federation colony world on the Cardassian border, whose settlers were forced to toughen themselves up, due to facing the Cardassian threat on a daily basis, etc.

So there definitely was some knowledge of them as far back as Kirk's 5YM (and well into the TOS movie era), although of course in the Prime Universe, the Federation didn't make "official" first contact with them until the early 24th century or thereabouts...more likely "proper" open diplomatic relations in this case, supplanting the "unofficial" border brushfire-skirmishes that had been the norm for several decades by that point.

Last edited by Leto_II; June 20 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 09:25 AM   #110
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Brains?

Cheers for clarifying that given I actually wrote what you quoted nearly three years ago.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 01:55 PM   #111
Christopher
Writer

I'm glad this is a 3-year-old bumped thread, because the title's kind of weird in the context of what I've been writing for the past couple of years...

Old June 19 2014, 08:29 PM   #112
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
The first contact with the Cardassians wasn't until the 2320s, unless you count the exiled Cardassian poet who spent some time on Vulcan during Tobin Dax's lifetime.
I know there is a comic that focuses on that, but where in "canon" does that little gem crop up?

First Contact between Cardassia and the Federation in the JJverse was a lot earlier than the 2320s as Uhura asked for a Cardassian something-or-other while at the bar in Star Trek 09 so who's to say it didn't occur earlier than the 2320s in the Prime-verse.
In one of the Vanguard novels, set in the mid-2260s, it's mentioned that Starfleet Intelligence has recently become aware of a "new" alien government nearby, the Cardassian Union.

Also, Margaret Wander Bonnano's movie-era novel Unspoken Truth, set in 2286 (the same year as Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home), it's mentioned that the Starfleet captain of the science vessel that Lt. Saavik signs onto hails from a Federation colony world on the Cardassian border, and whose settlers were forced to toughen themselves up, due to facing the Cardassian threat on a daily basis, etc.

So there definitely was some knowledge of them as far back as Kirk's 5YM (and well into the TOS movie era), although of course in the Prime Universe, the Federation didn't make "official" first contact with them until the early 24th century or thereabouts...more likely "proper" open diplomatic relations in this case, supplanting the "unofficial" border brushfire-skirmishes that had been the norm for several decades by that point.
Personally I think it's silly that TOS era novels are making the Cardassians that well-known already in that era, but given that the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance conquered the Terran Empire in 2295, I guess I no longer have a valid objection.

What do y'all think about how Kobayashi Maru has the Vulcans already knowing about the Breen in 2155?
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 08:52 PM   #113
Christopher
Writer

I don't see how it's a problem. Korea, for instance, first became aware of the West around the 1600s, but it wasn't until the 19th century that they had ongoing interactions with the West and not until the 20th that the Korean War happened.

And it's a big galaxy. Being aware that another power exists doesn't automatically equate to having found the time to explore and study their society in depth -- not when there are so many other civilizations to explore and study and only a finite amount of time and resources to do it with.

Old June 21 2014, 07:03 AM   #114
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

I'm glad this is a 3-year-old bumped thread, because the title's kind of weird in the context of what I've been writing for the past couple of years...
I guess that definitively answers the thread, though... it works just fine!