Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 16 2014, 09:30 PM   #2671
Dennis
The Man

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
But now you are changing the topic. Your question was quite simple, "what's more heroic" and the answer is quite simple and it is not really a subjective answer. I wasn't saying what I would like to see, I was answering your question in a fairly objective fashion
So objectively Superman is more heroic if he is willing to risk the lives of innocents by wasting the SECONDS he has to stop Zod from flat out murdering people becuase he stop time just so he can feel go about himself.

Because that what the "there should have been another way" complaint boils down to.
Yep.

It's saying "being God would be more heroic." Except that it really wouldn't.

Fuck that version of Superman.
Old June 17 2014, 02:49 AM   #2672
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Tough luck, Dennis, because that was a deux et machina-laden cop-out even back in 1978 and it would be a cop out now.

I knew that WB would make a different Superman movie after Superman Returns 'failed' (it didn't) and that people would now have warm fuzzy memories of it over Man Of Steel. The only thing is, why didn't they like the last one if the current one's such shit?

Also, you're missing the fact that Zod had nothing to live for due to Krypton being destroyed and his plan to bring it back on Earth failing. His fighting Superman and forcing Superman to kill him could be considered 'suicide by cop'-because that's what Superman usually is like, a cop (he'e even a specially deputized member of the Metropolis police force in the comic books.) So no, I disagree with how you view this.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 03:56 AM   #2673
DWF
Vice Admiral

Except that in Man Of Steel, Superman isn't a cop or an authority figure of any kind. And really Zod believed that he could take out Superman, after all he was a trained warrior from birth and Clark was a mere farm boy. I don't think Zod believed that Clark had in him to kill him, let alone the fact that he'd withstood everything Superman could throw at him.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 06:25 AM   #2674
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Except that in Man Of Steel, Superman isn't a cop or an authority figure of any kind. And really Zod believed that he could take out Superman, after all he was a trained warrior from birth and Clark was a mere farm boy. I don't think Zod believed that Clark had in him to kill him, let alone the fact that he'd withstood everything Superman could throw at him.
I just realized, wouldn't it have been smarter of Zod to use his heat vision on the floor? Or on Superman? (The floor would collapse, he might get a tactical advantage over Superman) (Using it on Superman might kill him)

Like, why go after ants before you've dealt with the real threat? Especially when that threat has you in your grasp? Especially since that threat hasn't made any effort yet to save people... (tee hee.)
Old June 17 2014, 06:32 AM   #2675
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

what gets me about this infamous scene are two things:

1: There hadn't been so much as an ounce of concern (even a single worried shot) from Superman during the Zod fight that he was concerned with aving people. They tore up half the city.
2. The "family" was more like a "contrivance" made to force us to finally care but we can't because it's clear that even the director didn't. After Zod is killed the family is left out of any subsequent wide shots and they are absent for any reactions. They are not even allowed to say thank you to Superman. They weren't people the film cared about at all.
Old June 17 2014, 10:42 AM   #2676
DWF
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I just realized, wouldn't it have been smarter of Zod to use his heat vision on the floor? Or on Superman? (The floor would collapse, he might get a tactical advantage over Superman) (Using it on Superman might kill him)

Like, why go after ants before you've dealt with the real threat? Especially when that threat has you in your grasp? Especially since that threat hasn't made any effort yet to save people... (tee hee.)
Zod tried both earlier on the fight and Superman was able to fly away from a collapsing floor anmd he hit Zod with a girder on Lex Luthor's building when Zod tried using his heat vision against him.
Old June 17 2014, 10:56 AM   #2677
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The shots of Supes "hovering" over the collapsing floor looked really badly composited...
Old June 17 2014, 02:29 PM   #2678
Dennis
The Man

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^Tough luck, Dennis, because that was a deux et machina-laden cop-out even back in 1978 and it would be a cop out now.

I knew that WB would make a different Superman movie after Superman Returns 'failed' (it didn't) and that people would now have warm fuzzy memories of it over Man Of Steel. The only thing is, why didn't they like the last one if the current one's such shit?

Also, you're missing the fact that Zod had nothing to live for due to Krypton being destroyed and his plan to bring it back on Earth failing. His fighting Superman and forcing Superman to kill him could be considered 'suicide by cop'-because that's what Superman usually is like, a cop (he'e even a specially deputized member of the Metropolis police force in the comic books.) So no, I disagree with how you view this.
I have no idea why you're addressing me here, since nothing you say has anything logically to do with anything I've said.
Old June 17 2014, 08:12 PM   #2679
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Zod tried both earlier on the fight and Superman was able to fly away from a collapsing floor anmd he hit Zod with a girder on Lex Luthor's building when Zod tried using his heat vision against him.
I was more thinking if he used it on the floor, he might get out of Superman's grip.

Most of the fight I have totally forgot.
Old June 17 2014, 10:20 PM   #2680
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wait, we're still going over all this? I thought it was as obvious as can be that Zod wanted Superman to kill him at that point. That's what all the stuff about him no longer having any purpose anymore was all about.

Instead of continuing to fight on and on, he decided to force Superman's hand and give him no choice but to kill him.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 11:03 PM   #2681
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

^That was my take on it as well.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 11:17 PM   #2682
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Wait, we're still going over all this? I thought it was as obvious as can be that Zod wanted Superman to kill him at that point. That's what all the stuff about him no longer having any purpose anymore was all about.

Instead of continuing to fight on and on, he decided to force Superman's hand and give him no choice but to kill him.
Yeah, we're still going over it. I'm willing to admit I don't fucking remember every moment from a movie I didn't like and haven't watched since walking out of the theater.

Edited to add: Sorry, just frustrated.
Old June 17 2014, 11:52 PM   #2683
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

If he knew he could be killed, and knew that the fight would go on and on, why didn't he try to kill Supergoof instead?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 12:47 AM   #2684
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If he knew he could be killed, and knew that the fight would go on and on, why didn't he try to kill Supergoof instead?
And then rule Earth.
Old June 18 2014, 12:51 AM   #2685
DWF
Vice Admiral

It sure looked to me like Zod tried pretty hard to kill Superman and just couldn't do it.