IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 4 2014, 10:39 PM   #76
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Should a New Star Trek show be willing to kill off major character

CTGuyton wrote: View Post
Absolutely they should! I advocated in another thread Aaron Sorkin writing the new ST series. His biggest claim to fame being The West Wing, which never killed off a major character, but Mid-Major ones. And major character left the show to run for congress.
Everyone knows those characters that disappeared went to Mandyville.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 06:32 PM   #77
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Jadzia's murder was the only way to handle the actresses departure from DS9. Given her marriage to Worf, excitement at the prospect of a baby and her position on the station, having her "go away' in any other fashion wouldn't have made sense.

Old June 6 2014, 07:19 PM   #78
mos6507
Captain

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
CBS has no interest in producing /making a Star Trek show for CBS, The CW, or Showtime. And they're not going to sell Star Trek to HBO/Time Warner either, since it makes too much money as a merchandisable franchise to be let go.
And that's how it will be, until suddenly it isn't. Wait long enough, and things change.
Old June 7 2014, 05:42 PM   #79
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^That 'wait' will be a long, long, long, time. Moonves isn't going to be gone anytime soon as head of CBS Corporation, and most likely his replacement will (sadly) be just like him.

The only hope is for my idea to become reality, so that we can see new Star Trek in some fashion, even if it isn't a weekly TV show.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 10:28 PM   #80
MacLeod
Admiral

So a long wait isn't a bad thing. And for a small glimmer of hope remember that aside from 1 TV movie DW was off the air for 16 years. ST's been off the air less then a decade and had 2 theatrical movies in that period.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 03:13 AM   #81
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Non-Beard Riker wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
The next STAR TREK series has to keep pushing not television's boundaries, so much, as its own.
Of course! Star Trek should push the boundaries by copying Breaking Bad and House of Cards.
We are in the golden age of television, so if Star Trek is going to constantly play things safe and have character shields were certain characters can't die no matter what, it may Star Trek is stuck in the past and get left behind.

I think part of the reason Star Trek imploded in the early 2000s, is that the shows were playing it too safe, rather then taking real risks.

No one is saying Star Trek has to a copy of Breaking Bad or House of Cards, but maybe Star Trek should more like show from today, rather then trying to be an 80s or 60s TV show in this decade.
Absolutely. Voyager in particular felt kinda old-fashioned during its run, emulating the stately pace and decorum of TNG long after other genre shows, like Buffy and Xena and X-Files, had upped the ante. It still worked as comfort food, but it wasn't particularly cutting-edge.

By all means, any new Trek show should not leave sudden death off the table, along with any other jaw-dropping twists and drama and radical changes in the status quo.
Old June 13 2014, 02:09 PM   #82
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Except for the fact that Buffy & The X-Files had the same 'characters shields' that people decried in the Star Trek shows for the characters on both shows-only Tara McLay died on Buffy, and so did Anya, and Buffy died (but came back) while Oz went away to wander the world like Larry Talbot .

As for the X-Files, who died? Not Mulder and Scully, but the poor Lone Gunmen did while preventing a 9/11-type incident (before 9/11 actually happened) as did a few others (Dagget and what's-her-name excepted) So Voyager, TNG, TOS, and DS9 shouldn't be singled out for this (and at least Enterprise killed off Tucker-BUT EVERYBODY HATED THAT, even though the same kind of death [pointless] happened to Tasha Yar!)

Maybe the next show will have somebody die, maybe the next movie will have somebody die-who would YOU choose to die?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 11:32 PM   #83
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

When you think about it, essentially you want other people to become unemployed for your own entertainment. That's pretty cruel. ;-)
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:35 AM   #84
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^Except for the fact that Buffy & The X-Files had the same 'characters shields' that people decried in the Star Trek shows for the characters on both shows-only Tara McLay died on Buffy, and so did Anya, and Buffy died (but came back) while Oz went away to wander the world like Larry Talbot .
)
Have we forgotten Buffy's mom and poor Jenny Calendar already?

Seriously, I was mostly talking about the pacing and direction, not to mention the more serialized storytelling. Voyager proceeded at its own deliberate pace, which sometimes felt rather slow and ponderous compared to, say, Farscape and other shows of the era. No decision could be made without at least one protracted meeting in a conference room--and probably a long, earnest discussion of the Prime Directive.

Or so it seemed sometimes.

Meanwhile, Buffy had probably killed off five vampires and fired off a bunch of quality snark before the opening credits rolled . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; June 14 2014 at 02:46 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:14 AM   #85
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I don't get the mindset that killing off characters is somehow "better" or "more entertaining" than not doing so. Spend some time in real life around the dead...it ain't fun.

Besides, it's like making great new friends in your neighborhood, then thinking "Boy, I can't wait until they move away!"

No offense is meant to anyone here, by the way... it's just an increasingly prevalent trend in entertainment media, and has been for some time now. I'm not saying death of a character can't be valuable or dramatic, but done for its' own sake is another matter entirely.

Kind of disheartening that life just isn't sacred anymore...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:09 AM   #86
HIjol
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
When you think about it, essentially you want other people to become unemployed for your own entertainment. That's pretty cruel. ;-)
"Gladiator Viewing"...the line between civilized and not is RAzor thin...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 06:47 PM   #87
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
But fictional life has NEVER been sacred. It's not like this is a new trend in movies or novels or theater. Just ask Old Yeller or Little Nell. At most, it's a departure for American TV dramas as we've known them since the fifties. (Although I seem to recall the body count being pretty high on The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.)

At the risk of getting pretentious, the Greeks didn't balk at killing off main characters, and neither did Shakespeare, Dickens, etc. And certainly it's nothing new to science fiction: Remember Dr. Morbius in Forbidden Planet? Taylor, Nova, Cornelius, and Zira in the Planet of the Apes movies? And pretty much every single movie version of The Fly or I am Legend?

Writers shouldn't be afraid to kill characters when necessary. We need to be ruthless that way.
Old June 15 2014, 08:24 PM   #88
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
But fictional life has NEVER been sacred. It's not like this is a new trend in movies or novels or theater. Just ask Old Yeller or Little Nell. At most, it's a departure for American TV dramas as we've known them since the fifties. (Although I seem to recall the body count being pretty high on The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.)

At the risk of getting pretentious, the Greeks didn't balk at killing off main characters, and neither did Shakespeare, Dickens, etc. And certainly it's nothing new to science fiction: Remember Dr. Morbius in Forbidden Planet? Taylor, Nova, Cornelius, and Zira in the Planet of the Apes movies? And pretty much every single movie version of The Fly or I am Legend?

Writers shouldn't be afraid to kill characters when necessary. We need to be ruthless that way.
I didn't articulate my thoughts well, Greg. Allow me to clarify:

You're right, death has always been a story-telling tool. Heck, I was watching Leave It to Beaver not long ago, and Ward and June were deciding whether they wanted to go to the movies, or stay home. Ward said something like "Well, we can go to the movies and watch people kill each other, or stay home and watch people kill each other on television!"

What I was (poorly) referring to is the kind of brutal, frankly sickening deaths producers seem to assume that audiences squeal with glee over. Again, that's not new...but there was a time where you could choose your cinematic poison, but it seems to have spilled over into just about everything. The technology now seems to be the cookie jar that directors and producers can't seem to keep their fingers out of. I'm sure it's just my own sensibilities, and I'm not about to tell other people what to enjoy. I never did go for those slasher flicks, either. I just don't get it, that's all.

When I refuse to let my kids read a modern comic book, something has turned a very disturbing corner. They make stuff for kids, and it's too childish. At the other end they have the gray, brooding, death and mutilation fests. The choice is like having a stereo that has two volume levels: 1, and 10.

I still tie the modern origins of this trend to Garbage Pail Kids.

Resume you discussion, folks: I'll stay out of the way.
Old June 15 2014, 08:30 PM   #89
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Old June 15 2014, 10:24 PM   #90
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Resume you discussion, folks: I'll stay out of the way.
Well, except for one thing...

I'm not all sunshine and bunny rabbits (though I like those, too! )

I thought Predator had it just right: enough massacre and gore to make you squirm in your seat, just enough to add to the narrative and characterization. The Predator was a hunter, and humans were animals. Well done!