New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 12 2014, 12:26 PM   #196
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Your own personal continuity

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
That's not what I recall. Wasn't it that he just expressed discomfort to what hero status he had been elevated to?
Gene Roddenberry, writing as James T. Kirk in the first person, pages 7 and 8:

Unfortunately, Starfleet's enthusiasm affected even those who chronicled our adventures, and we were all painted somewhat larger than life, especially myself.
Eventually, I found that I had been fictionalized into some sort of "Modern Ulysses" [...] ... As a result, I have become determined that if I ever find myself involved in an affair attracting public attention, I would insist that some way be found to tell the story more accurately.

In other words, the TOS we saw wasn't the real thing. Gene Roddenberry's little way of jettisoning everything he'd thought better of since the 60's.
I think this is just conjectural speculation because we do not really know to what these "chronicled adventures" refer to (written articles in public magazines or the actual TOS episodes?).

And how were the crew members painted "larger than life"?

Do we instead have to assume
  • that the chief engineer was constantly drunk and exaggerating his actual capabilities?
  • that the navigator was a fanatic, rebellious Russia lover, wearing actually a red star in his insignia and constantly talked about the great Soviet Union and how much communism laid the foundation of the UFP?
  • that the helmsman was such a knife and dagger lover that he constantly brought one to the Bridge and had strange daydreaming fantasies ("And the Children...")?
  • that the doctor, too, was most of the time drunk, explaining his permanent cursing, and incompetent (according to the Klingons in TUC)?
  • that the communications officer permanently had to be asked to speak in English and not Swahili?
Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 06:25 PM   #197
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

In other words, the TOS we saw wasn't the real thing. Gene Roddenberry's little way of jettisoning everything he'd thought better of since the 60's.
With all due respect to the ashes of Roddenberry circling this planet, I'll stick with the original episodes and their depiction of events.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 01:38 AM   #198
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

That's not what I recall. Wasn't it that he just expressed discomfort to what hero status he had been elevated to?

Unfortunately, Starfleet's enthusiasm affected even those who chronicled our adventures, and we were all painted somewhat larger than life, especially myself.
Eventually, I found that I had been fictionalized into some sort of "Modern Ulysses" [...] ... As a result, I have become determined that if I ever find myself involved in an affair attracting public attention, I would insist that some way be found to tell the story more accurately.

I think this is just conjectural speculation because we do not really know to what these "chronicled adventures" refer to (written articles in public magazines or the actual TOS episodes?).

• that the chief engineer was constantly drunk and exaggerating his actual capabilities?
  • that the navigator was a fanatic, rebellious Russia lover, wearing actually a red star in his insignia and constantly talked about the great Soviet Union and how much communism laid the foundation of the UFP?
  • that the helmsman was such a knife and dagger lover that he constantly brought one to the Bridge and had strange daydreaming fantasies ("And the Children...")?
  • that the doctor, too, was most of the time drunk, explaining his permanent cursing, and incompetent (according to the Klingons in TUC)?
  • that the communications officer permanently had to be asked to speak in English and not Swahili?
Bob
I kind of imagine this "larger than life" reputation is why Mr. Adventure was genuinely confused by Uhura picking essentially a desk job, Preston a wee bit in awe of the ship, Klaa wanting the fairly obsessed honor of hunting Kirk, the crew minus Kirk keeping their ranks after court martial, and why the Enterprise was picked to meet with Kronos-1.

But if nothing else, I suppose it goes to show that word-of-mouth rumor mills are still a thing in the future, even with the vast gulfs of space. Details can be exaggerated, taken out of context, or changed in other ways quite quickly when it comes to rumors, hearsay, and gossip.

Last edited by Cyke101; June 13 2014 at 07:27 AM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 11:23 AM   #199
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Given Roddenberry's opinions of TOS (see canonwars link on the prior page), I think it's hard to interpret it in any other way than as a direct reference to the classic series.
I think its fair to say Kirk and crew were larger than life heroes throughout TOS (and TAS and the movies). Everything from beating impossible odds every week to coming back the next completely devoid of psychological trauma, falling in love several times in the space of 50 minutes, lots and lots of fantasy magic science and countless other examples common to television shows paint them as such.

I also wonder if this "popular depiction" explanation was meant to explain why everything looks so completely different in the movies than it did in TOS. It's in no way a believable in-universe evolution, not one control console in the movies at all resembles what came in TOS except in their most basic layout around the bridge. And then there are the Klingons, which Roddenberry claimed for years were always meant to look as they did in the movies.
T'Girl wrote: View Post
With all due respect to the ashes of Roddenberry circling this planet, I'll stick with the original episodes and their depiction of events.

For once, we are in agreement
Old June 13 2014, 11:40 AM   #200
Mario de Monti
Captain

Personally I view each series (including the Abrams movies) as something like "variations on a theme" and enjoy them separately without trying to fit together bits and pieces that simply don´t go together. Too many people have been involved with Trek over the decades for everything to comprise one coherent universe.
For me at least this attitude works very well

teacake wrote: View Post
Janeway and 7 were totally doing it.
Would be interesting to see ...
Old June 13 2014, 06:28 PM   #201
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Janeway: "The Doctor failed to mention that particular "implant."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 03:12 AM   #202
LordMudd
Lieutenant Commander

Reminds me of an idea I had once: the swiss army Borg. Interchangeable attachments for any occasion.

CCC.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 09:31 AM   #203
Mario de Monti
Captain

Now it sounds even more interesting ...
Old June 14 2014, 12:15 PM   #204
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I am totes on board.

Borg.. appliances. Need to see more stat.

I mean.. assmimlate?! They can't be that stupid.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 01:16 PM   #205
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post

Bob
I kind of imagine this "larger than life" reputation is why Mr. Adventure was genuinely confused by Uhura picking essentially a desk job, Preston a wee bit in awe of the ship, Klaa wanting the fairly obsessed honor of hunting Kirk, the crew minus Kirk keeping their ranks after court martial, and why the Enterprise was picked to meet with Kronos-1.

But if nothing else, I suppose it goes to show that word-of-mouth rumor mills are still a thing in the future, even with the vast gulfs of space. Details can be exaggerated, taken out of context, or changed in other ways quite quickly when it comes to rumors, hearsay, and gossip.
I kind of view it that way. I think TOS happened exactly as we saw it onscreen, but there was a lot of stuff that was exaggerated or is more myth than fact by the public (I could see someone writing that during the Enterprise's encounter with the alien entity Apollo in "Who Mourns For Adonais?" Kirk simply defeated a god with his bare hands, when it really didn't happen that way).
Old June 14 2014, 03:34 PM   #206
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ I agree, especially considering that he did defeat a "god" partially with bare hands in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (although there were no witnesses).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 05:13 PM   #207
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^ I agree, especially considering that he did defeat a "god" partially with bare hands in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (although there were no witnesses).
In a sense, that's what I'm talking about, how certain details are embellished, overlooked, or just personally termed. In "Where No Man Has Gone Before," the truth was that Kirk actually used a phaser rifle to stop a crewmember with mutated telepathic and telekinetic powers, and even then by using it indirectly to create a rockslide to crush him.

Someone else might say that Kirk shot a "god" with a phaser rifle or might leave out the phaser rifle bit altogether, making Kirk look even more bad-arse than he actually was in the situation.

Last edited by C.E. Evans; June 14 2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: can't spelle
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote