CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 14 2014, 12:07 AM   #61
teacock
Admiral

Re: We are pregnant!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It's amazing how society takes its little twists and turns. When I was a kid, during the days when society was making an effort to pull the stick out of its ass, one of the big trends was for men to become involved in the woman's pregnancy-- going to classes, being present at delivery, perhaps even taking a hand in delivering the baby. This was a shocking thing. Old-school conservatives would deride such men as weak, silly, and unmanly. And now here we are, fifty years later, in the 21st century, and new-school progressives deride men who do the opposite of what Miss Chicken's ex-husband did as precious, twee, and pantsless.
another from those who don't like it.
Okay, I'm confused. Exactly what decade does this remind you of every morning, then?

Also, "Precious, Twee and Pantsless" would make a great title for an autobiography.
teacake wrote: View Post

OH PLEASE

Here, have a shiny medal. It's the size of a watermelon, make sure you shove it up your ass for nine months and then push it out so we can take you seriously. Don't forget to vomit regularly.
Marry me, teacake?
Only if you will carry our spawn.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 01:39 AM   #62
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
So, when my wife and I decide to have another child and succeed in conceiving we would say something like "We're expecting another child. Gina is pregnant!"
I mean that's fine, and I don't think anybody's saying "OMG you have to say 'We're pregnant!'" I certainly wouldn't use it myself because I think it sounds insufferably... well, twee, and internally roll my eyes when I hear it.

But as was mentioned there's plenty of things couples-in-which-the-woman-is-pregnant do that are obnoxious. They're excited, they're happy, and they want to share so why harsh their melon if it makes her happy? It's language evolving - in a direction I find silly, but I find many things silly.
Old June 14 2014, 02:28 AM   #63
Kestra
Vice Admiral

The whole thread took a ridiculous turn with the man-hating bit.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:40 AM   #64
teacock
Admiral

How could anyone hate their bits? Their bits are lovely.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 14 2014, 02:48 AM   #65
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I love my bits.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:49 AM   #66
teacock
Admiral

I'm sure they are very nice.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 14 2014, 03:00 AM   #67
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Indeed they are. Thank you for noticing.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old June 14 2014, 03:06 AM   #68
teacock
Admiral

I have all the jpegs in a special folder

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 14 2014, 06:37 AM   #69
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Aw, you even marked it "System Files."
Old June 14 2014, 08:25 AM   #70
Sylvia
BobTheSkutter's wife

View Sylvia's Twitter Profile

I think the thread took a better turn when people started asking the 'why' behind this turn of phrase being a problem.

We've had a couple of millennia of misogyny (at best) and women being controlled due to the fact of this one thing that women can do that men can't. Men cannot control the conception and birth process. Heck, until fairly recently men had no way of guaranteeing that their wife's offspring was even theirs. And that lack of control over birth has driven male-dominated cultures to control women's freedom of movement, style of dress, access to education, right to participate in civil society.... the whole shebang.

So when I hear 'we are pregnant' I hear a bloke who doesn't want to admit that there's this one amazing ability his wife has that he doesn't. And when unread a thread full of (mostly) blokes saying 'meh, no big deal' I hear a bunch of people who still deep down don't get that male control of women starts right here, in utero, when they claim co-ownership.

My response to hearing that is to wonder how secure he really feels that the kid is his.

RevdKathy
Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 08:41 AM   #71
teacock
Admiral

It has not escaped my attention that the only full on detractors of the phrase in this thread are also the only people in the thread who have personally given birth.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 14 2014, 09:04 AM   #72
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

An example of how men used to control women's wombs is the talk I had with my doctor when I wanted tubal ligation back in 1982. This was during my checkup 6 weeks after giving birth.

The doctor (who has been my doctor right through my last pregnancy) was quite keen that I have it because I had had three difficult pregnancies and births, and last birth was life threatening and the doctor said he had doubts about me surviving another birth. He told me there were two problems a) I was under 30 (I was only 24) and b) I wasn't certain if my husband would give permission. My doctor said the lack of spousal permission would probably be a bigger problem than my age but he would apply to be allowed to do it without spousal permission.

There was about a 6-8 month waiting list for tubal ligation in the public hospital but my doctor jumped me up the list and 6 weeks later I was in hospital to have the operation done.

The doctor who was performing the surgery came around to question me. I asked me if my husband was OK with it as they didn't have his signature on the form. I said I had been over all that with my doctor. This doctor that asked me if my husband was the father of all my children. This really annoyed me and I answered "You are only asking me that because I am from a lower socio-economic group". He then said he would have to talk to my doctor. About an hour later he came back and told me that he had Oked the operation.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; June 14 2014 at 09:24 AM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 09:13 AM   #73
teacock
Admiral

That is the biggest load of crap Miss Chicken!!! Husband's permission?!?!!!!!! WHAT FUCKTARDS

I bet when vasectomies suddenly became all the rage they didn't ask the wife's permission.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 14 2014, 09:23 AM   #74
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I am not certain when the law changed in Australia and I am not even 100% certain if it was a law or just hospital policy that required women to have their husband's permission.

I don't know what the policy was on vasectomies. Back then it was far more common for the woman to have tubal ligation than for men to have vasectomies.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 09:26 AM   #75
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

I couldn't help noticing it's mostly blokes saying it's fine. It's a silly thing that men feel to be inclusive they have to take ownership by calling it theirs(ours). Your partner is pregnant, you are not. You (we) maybe be expecting a child but that's not the same thing. Seems to me men can be included, supportive, involved without claiming ownership of pregnancy.

And no, it's not the same thing, having hardship throughout the pregnancy, worrying about your partner and child as being pregnant and having your internal organs squashed, lungs compressed, sickness, swollen ankles, plus the stress of all these things happening while it's supposed to be one of the happiest times of your life and you have to worry you haven't felt the baby move in a while, should I be doing this or that while pregnant . Etc etc . but oh, you had to be supportive, you had to be nice to your wife, you fucking hero you.