Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 10 2014, 06:16 PM   #31
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Damage to the Enterprise D 6 foot model

treknician1701 wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
I had left the show, and was working elsewhere, when I heard a story about the large 6 foot Enterprise model, and the fact that it was really damaged. [...] A short time later, I found out that Greg Jein had been commissioned to build a smaller, 4 foot version of the Enterprise-D
You once said that your last episode was Yesterday's Enterprise, but that came well after the four-footer became the go-to filming model. So they were already using it for several months before you were no longer working there.

I have no idea on the timeline for that, since I was not privy to it's construction or use.
Perhaps you should better consider your words then when you compose libelous posts against others who worked on the show long after you left it.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 08:39 PM   #32
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
I had left the show, and was working elsewhere, when I heard a story about the large 6 foot Enterprise model, and the fact that it was really damaged. [...] A short time later, I found out that Greg Jein had been commissioned to build a smaller, 4 foot version of the Enterprise-D
You once said that your last episode was Yesterday's Enterprise, but that came well after the four-footer became the go-to filming model. So they were already using it for several months before you were no longer working there.
Not to mention the anecdote about being on set for the "nude" scenes in Menage a Troi, several months later. Unless we're expected to believe the set was not only open, but ex-employees could walk around.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 09:19 AM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Isn't there a picture of the six-footer floating around where they had changed the registry to 1701-E before packing it away after Generations?

Wow is that registry mis-centered.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:15 AM   #34
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The 4 foot model was actually more detailed than the 6 footer, even to the point that that it properly depicted the 10-forward windows.
I don't care about the 10 Forward windows, the 4 footer is a fat and ugly version of the D.

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
Not to mention the addition of the 10 forward windows was a ret-conning of the ship design. Probert only intended for that area to be one deck high.
I wish people would stop talking about Probert's intentions as if they mean anything, the saucer rim is two decks, end of story. It wasn't a retcon because the rim was never established as only one deck.

I'm sure many people intended many things but if it doesn't end up on screen it doesn't matter.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 06:14 PM   #35
sojourner
Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
I wish people would stop talking about Probert's intentions as if they mean anything, the saucer rim is two decks, end of story. It wasn't a retcon because the rim was never established as only one deck.

I'm sure many people intended many things but if it doesn't end up on screen it doesn't matter.
Then that begets the question of why they modified the saucer edge on the 4 footer in the first place?
Old June 14 2014, 06:27 PM   #36
Salinga
Fleet Captain

Probably because the electronics inside the model needed the space (lights).
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:01 AM   #37
sojourner
Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
nope.
Old June 15 2014, 09:35 AM   #38
Mutai Sho-Rin

sojourner wrote: View Post
Salinga wrote: View Post
nope.
If this is supposed to be helpful it fails. Either add some meaningful explanation or don't post.
Old June 15 2014, 11:58 AM   #39
sojourner
Admiral

Nope, it wasn't to fit the electronics inside the model.

Last edited by sojourner; June 15 2014 at 12:38 PM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 09:31 AM   #40
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
The 4 foot model was actually more detailed than the 6 footer, even to the point that that it properly depicted the 10-forward windows.
That was the selling point, but it's a common opinion that the "more detailed" 4-footer sacrificed the sleekness found in the 6-footer.
can you explain this - or post comparison photos?

Thanks
Old June 16 2014, 01:53 PM   #41
sojourner
Admiral

That was the selling point, but it's a common opinion that the "more detailed" 4-footer sacrificed the sleekness found in the 6-footer.

Thanks
Checkout some of the photos at the link in my previous post.
Old June 16 2014, 02:52 PM   #42
Mytran
Commodore

Not just the photos - the whole article is worth reading. Thanks!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 03:21 PM   #43
Robert Comsol
Commodore

This is not about what Mr. Probert intended or not, but the final scale of the 6-footer as seen on screen.

The 6-footer has at least two external features that enable us to conclude the correct in-universe size, i.e. the windows of the Conference Lounge at the back of the bridge and the diameter of the port docking port (i.e. "11001001").

According to those there'd be only space for one deck on the saucer's rim of the 6-footer, but that wasn't considered when the idea of Ten Forward came into being.

Apparently the rim became a lot thicker on the 4-footer to compensate, I still wonder why they didn't use the four large windows above the Captain's Yacht for the location of Guinan's bar, instead.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; June 16 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 05:30 PM   #44
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

This is not about what Mr. Probert intended or not, but the final scale of the 6-footer as seen on screen.

The 6-footer has at least two external features that enable us to conclude the correct in-universe size, i.e. the windows of the Conference Lounge at the back of the bridge and the diameter of the port docking port (i.e. "11001001").

According to those there'd be only space for one deck on the saucer's rim of the 6-footer, but that wasn't considered when the idea of Ten Forward came into being.

Apparently the rim became a lot thicker on the 4-footer to compensate, I still wonder why they didn't use the four large windows above the Captain's Yacht for the location of Guinan's bar, instead.

Bob
Thank you. That is exactly what I was getting at. They had to re-scale the saucer rim in order to fit in 10-forward. This is how the scale should have looked based on the original design of the E-D and the 6-foot model.

Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 05:36 PM   #45
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Thanks
Along with the numerous other photos that have been posted by other members, here's a shot that really shows the differences.

Six Foot

Four foot

EAS also has a bunch of comparisons in their TNG-HD reviews.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote