New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 8 2014, 06:09 AM   #1
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Who are the cast of Seekers?

The Seekers novels are coming out soon, and I haven't heard much about it yet.
I wondered if we could get some teasers about the books, especially about the characters.
Old June 8 2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Who are the cast of Seekers?

The series features the Sagittarius and the Endeavour from Star Trek: Vanguard.

Clark Terrell, Atish Khatami and their crews will be the main cast.

PS: Sorry if your response is "well, yes, I know that"; I don't think there's much else revealed. Although David Mack did mention that an Orion crewman will feature - she's apparently going to be more important in book three than in the opening two-parter, I think?

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; June 8 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:41 PM   #3
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ That's correct.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 05:10 PM   #4
2of1million
Captain

I'm getting more interested in the Seekers as well, if only for the pretty covers! Tempting me with paper books again...darn pocketbooks!!!
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 05:46 PM   #5
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Thanks. Ever little teaser is appreciated, and the Orion woman sounds interesting. I'd imagine a lot could be done with that character given the sexist stereotypes of Orion women in that era and how they've been developed since.
Old June 12 2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Technobuilder
Commodore

One of the reasons I'm so stoked for Seekers is that it will be following in the "TOS:Vanguard" vein that was establised as "What-If HBO did The Original Series"

I was always a fan of the TOS era Films, but TOS as a TV series never really appealed to me and I only really came around to enjoying stories from that era after Vanguard gave me a new way of looking at the same material... "With Fresh Eyes" so to speak.

Hopefully that made sense.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Well, actually, although it uses characters from VNG, I gather it's more in the vein of TOS, telling episodic adventure tales.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 06:41 PM   #8
David Mack
Writer

^ Pretty much. We're picking up ships and characters from Vanguard, but we're not looking to replicate the tone or structure of Vanguard. Whereas the saga was close-ended, and was rather dark and gritty, Seekers is meant to be open-ended, and to return to the sense of finding adventure in the final frontier, and trying to leave people and places better than we found them.

Old June 12 2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Technobuilder
Commodore

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ Pretty much. We're picking up ships and characters from Vanguard, but we're not looking to replicate the tone or structure of Vanguard. Whereas the saga was close-ended, and was rather dark and gritty, Seekers is meant to be open-ended, and to return to the sense of finding adventure in the final frontier, and trying to leave people and places better than we found them.
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it well.

Before I'd read Vanguard, TOS wasn't "real" to me. It was hokey and strange and something that never really clicked for a child of the 80's who grew up watching TNG (Which has it's own ironies I'm sure, but still).

After having read Vanguard, my perception of the larger TOS era shifted. It gave me the ability to see past the limitations of 60's design, special effects, and aesthetic to see a world that was 'believable' as the 22nd century.

Many of Greg Cox' novels are TOS adventure tales, and I've found myself enjoying them quite a bit, but I never would have really given them a fair shake if not for the perspective that I got through reading Vanguard.

Tonally, I'm not expecting Death and Destruction on a Cosmic Scale or dark and gritty what-have-you, etc.

What I am expecting though is the TOS Era I've come to appreciate combined with the excellent writing we've all come to enjoy throughout Trek Lit over the past Decade or more telling new stories with new characters in an Era I'd basically written off due to my own past presumption.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"

Last edited by Technobuilder; June 13 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old June 12 2014, 09:21 PM   #10
David Mack
Writer

All right, then. In that case, I think you'll enjoy Seekers.

Old June 12 2014, 10:37 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
It gave me the ability to see past the limitations of 60's design, special effects, and atheistic to see a world that was 'believable' as the 22nd century.
I think your spell-checker sabotaged your attempt to type "aesthetic."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
It gave me the ability to see past the limitations of 60's design, special effects, and atheistic to see a world that was 'believable' as the 22nd century.
Given the nature of some of those special effects, it's no surprise that faith in a loving god was abandoned.
Old June 13 2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Technobuilder
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Indeed so, thanks for the correction and the 'eagle-eye'.

*(Post has been corrected)
Old June 29 2014, 09:45 PM   #14
tenmei
Fleet Captain

I was wondering if there were any good descriptions of the Sagtarrius' bridge? It would be nice to have some deckplans perhaps - it seem to be where the new ships fal down, we know what the ships look like, but rarely the interiors.

I think the only original interior we saw on a book cover was the Excalibur's bridge in New Frontier.
Old June 30 2014, 12:21 AM   #15
David Mack
Writer

I've described the bridge of the Sagittarius several times in the Vanguard novels. It's a single compartment on a level deck. The entrance is a sliding door on the aft bulkhead. Captain's chair in the center, combination helm/operations console forward. Wraparound main viewscreen on the curved forward bulkhead. Duty consoles line the bulkheads; the tactical station is aft, near the door. Communications is on the port side, sensors are to starboard. The compartment has a low overhead. It is Compartment Number 01, located at the front of the saucer and is flanked by the captain's quarters to starboard and the XO's cabin to port.