JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully it'll be Soule then. Since Hermes and Zola are on the cover of Superman/WW #1 does that mean that Soule is actually using stuff from the solo WW series in SM/WW?

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That was just a spread the cast of characters from both Wonder Woman and Superman. Soule is mainly using the Olympians such as Apollo and Strife from Azzarello's run. He has also created another exile from Themyscira as a sort of confidant for her. But the book is mainly an attempt at shipping.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Last issue he had Diana exercising her status as the God of War to get soldiers to be more compliant. It was pretty cool.

In other news, I just finished reading all 17 issues of Clone. I have it say I am really enjoying it. It's a cllaborative writing effort by three TV writers and it shows. It really feels like it could be a TV show. I'd like to see it get the HBO treatment but it might be a little hard what with all the clones of the same person running around.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two words, Orphan and Black.

5. Savage Dragon

Ah. Never watched it.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? Obviously you must have been cursed as a baby by witches during your christening.

7. Savage Dragon

What can I say, I've got a lot on my plate.

In other news, I just started reading Y: The Last Man and it is fantastic. This is another series that deserves the HBO treatment.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Y the Last Man was a good series, yeah.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Rai #2 came out from VALIANT last week and the first two issues were really good.
    The art is phenomenal from Clayton Crain. Issue #1 is largely set up, issue #2 begins the payoff which it appears will flow into #3 with resolution in issue #4.

10. Hound of UIster

I'm really surprised how much mileage and quality they have managed to get out of all these old Valiant Properties like X-O Manowar. Dynamite especially has done a really great job with Magnus Robot Fight and Turok.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm liking Magnus and Solar more than I first thought I might upon reading the initial preview write ups. I'm not super excited on Turok but reading it. I found Doctor Spektor #1 to be a solid read by Mark Waid, shame Dynamite is altering course and reducing it to a 4-ish mini now instead of ongoing.

The VALIANT material is by and large very good and a solid breath of fresh air on the stands. Shadowman along w/Quantum & Woody being the most uneven imo. UNITY has been great w/it's rotating cast member every 4 issue arc. Coming out of the Armor Wars event it'll be Bloodshot joining up with the team.

I also am really enjoying the super hero revival at Dark Horse. Captain Midnight, X and Ghost have been great. Their all new created at DH character Blackout is intriguing and features a back up story by another "classic" CGH character, King Snake. Promo material seems to suggest that Barb Wire's re-tooled character will be making an appearance soon in Project Black Sky.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just added a bunch of Marvel collections to my Comixology wishlist, and I was wondering if I should delete or remove any.
    Avengers Academy vol. 1: Permanent Record
    Black Panther : Who is Black Panther? (first trade of the Reginal Hudlin)
    Black Widow: The Name of the Rose (first trade of the Marjorie Liu series)
    Doctor Strange: The Oath
    Fantastic Four: Worlds Greatest (Mark Millar's first trade)
    Fearless Defenders: Doom Maidens
    Gambit : Once A Thief (first trade of the James Asmus series)
    Immortal Iron First Vol 1: The Last Iron First Story
    Hulk: Red Hulk (first trade of Jeph Loeb series)
    Iron Man: Extremis (first trade in Warren Ellis)
    Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif Vol 1: Stronger Than Monsters
    Moon Knight: The Bottom (First trade of Charlie Huston series)
    Punisher Vol 1 (first trade of Greg Rucka series)
    Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D.
    Astonishing X-Men: Gifted (first trade of Joss Whedon series)
    Mystique By Brian K Vaugh Ultimate Collection 1
    X-Factor: The Longest Night (first trade in first series)
    The Ultimates: Super-Human (first trade in first series)
    Ultimate Fantastic Four: The Fantastic (first trade in first series)
    Ultimate X-Men: The Tomorrow People (first trade in first series)
    Marvel Masterworks: Spider Man vol 1
    MM: The Avengers vol 1
    MM: X-Men vol 1
    MM: The Incredible Hulk vol 1
    MM: The Fantastic Four
    I promise this is the last time I will ask about any of these series. I had them all set, and apparently somewhere I deleted them all, and I can't remember which ones I have and haven't asked about, so I'm asking about them all one last time.

13. Hound of UIster

Don't bother with the Reginald Hudlin Black Panther. It's pretty much terrible all around.

Other than the art there isn't much going for the Millar FF. Pick up the Hickman run or the one by Mark Waid.

The same for Moon Knight. That entire volume iirc was just not good. You are better off skipping it all and reading the new one by Ellis.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can I jump into the Hickman run OK? I remember last time I asked about it someone said I should do Millar's first.
    WOuld you recommed any other recent runs of Black Panther instead. I'm trying to stick to more recent stuff that I'll have a better chance of finding all of digitally.
    I replace the older Moon Knight with the first issue of Ellis's run, and deleted the Hudlin PB.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Millar and Hickman runs of FF aren't connected to each other. You can go right to Hickman, just be sure to start with the "Dark Reign: Fantastic Four" mini-series. That was the beginning of his run and it wasn't in the main series but it introduces the major concepts and ideas that run through the entire story.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You should be able to just jump into Hickman's Fantastic Four, but I would recommend starting with the five issue "Fantastic Four: Dark Reign" mini. It was also written by Hickman and is where his story actually starts.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I jumped into Hickman's run without any problems. I still haven't read Millar's run.

18. Hound of UIster

Maybe Secret Invasion Black Panther, which was a fill-in story in Hudlin's run on BP, but the definite Panther run is the Chris Priest run on BP, the volume which preceded Hudlin's.

19. Hound of UIster

They are connected actually imo since Hickman's run resolves the fate of the artificial world that Reed's old girlfriend creates in Millar's run, the fate of the NuDefenders from the alternate future and as well as the dead Galactus they brought back with them.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. They're related but you can get along without reading the run.

Hickman just captures the spirit of what the Fantastic Four ARE and what they COULD be. That is why I absolutely adored the run.