RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,711
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 554
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 29 2014, 12:18 AM   #31
Jax
Admiral

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

^ GOD awful both of them (Shakira 2010 effort is far better). Coca Cola's "The World is ours" is easily the best WC 2014 song because they know how to to market a product properly
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 02:44 AM   #32
EmoBorg
Captain

Shakira's song for the 2010 World Cup still remains one of the best songs.

Shakira - Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) (The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Song)

K'naan's song Wavin' Flag was a great song as well for the 2010 World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; May 29 2014 at 02:58 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 05:54 PM   #33
Jax
Admiral

K'naan's song[COLOR=#dbdbdb] Wavin' Flag [/COLOR]was a great song as well for the 2010 World Cup.
love that
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old June 5 2014, 07:42 AM   #34
EmoBorg
Captain

EA sports run a simulation using their 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil game, running all 32 teams going through the group stage and top 2 of each group heading to the knockout rounds. The result was not surprising but rather unexpected.

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/pl...234726737.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 12:32 PM   #35
Jax
Admiral

I've not seen anything in the 3 warm up games that indicates ENG will go far in this tournament and nothing to suggest Roy knows his best 11. The only good news really is Italy & Uruguay haven't looked in great shape either and Italy 1-1 Luxembourg made me

I would like to see a side set out to hold the ball in the middle and attack on both flanks with Gerrard/Henderson protecting the defence, Wilshere in the hole using his passing and driven runs to split Italy open and Sterling wide right with Lallana two foot ability n skill on the ball leaving their right back wrong footed at every turn on the left wing. Hopefully Sturridge will not waste his chances either After that game you can bring the likes of Barkley, Rooney and if fit Chamberlain back into the fold.

I expect however this awful flat 4-3-3 (not even a 4-3-3 really) that brings out nothing in his attack and exposes our defence.
Old June 9 2014, 12:27 PM   #36
Starkers
Admiral

Is Wilshere even fit enough to start a game yet?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 03:28 PM   #37
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

8-0 yesterday for France against a very weak Jamaican team.
It means nothing but it's still pleasant and it's not a bad thing after the bad news with Ribery.
Old June 10 2014, 09:15 PM   #38
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Is Wilshere even fit enough to start a game yet?
He looks pretty fit in fairness but I wouldn't want him no for 90 minutes. Let Italy tire and unleash Barkley
Old June 12 2014, 06:32 PM   #39
Jax
Admiral

IT'S HERE !!!

Old June 12 2014, 07:48 PM   #40
Relayer1
Commodore

That was certainly the worst opening ceremony I can remember !
Old June 12 2014, 08:09 PM   #41
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Yeps

World cup ceremonies are rarely very interesting but this one was bad in a fascinating way
Old June 12 2014, 08:31 PM   #42
Relayer1
Commodore

Shaytan wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Yeps

World cup ceremonies are rarely very interesting but this one was bad in a fascinating way
In a similar way that time-lapse films of roadkill decomposing are fascinating...
Old June 12 2014, 09:02 PM   #43
Relayer1
Commodore

And we're off !
Old June 12 2014, 11:24 PM   #44
Jax
Admiral

I switched off the opening show to play FIFA , as for the game Brazil were very lucky...Never been a penalty and probably a foul in the build up for goal number 3 but Croatia's 2nd was rightly disallowed he jumped into the keeper.

Should of been 1-1 really.
Old June 12 2014, 11:47 PM   #45
Count Zero
Decidedly something

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
EA sports run a simulation using their 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil game, running all 32 teams going through the group stage and top 2 of each group heading to the knockout rounds. The result was not surprising but rather unexpected.

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/pl...234726737.html
Mmh. Interesting. It would be all sorts of awesome (though, on the other hand, I'd be torn because it would be a bit tragic for Brazil). However, at the moment, I'd bet good money that Germany won't win the World Cup as their defense is just too weak.

Tonight's game was actually pretty good for an opening match. Quite lively. I'm glad Oscar made the 3-1 because it would have looked pretty bad otherwise, considering the penalty that really wasn't one. And it was a great goal to boot.
I won't be able to watch Mexico vs. Cameroon but I'm looking forward to Spain vs. Netherlands.

England will have a tough time against Italy, sadly enough (yes, I support two unsympathetic teams). It's unfortunate that this is England's first match. It's psychologically rather difficult to start into the tournament with a defeat. With Uruguay also being in the group I'm not sure they'll make it out of the group phase.