Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 10 2014, 12:04 AM   #31
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Star Trek II: The God Thing

trevanian wrote: View Post
Even though I bet it is filled with scientific howlers that would make out of date references to Mercury keeping one side facing the sun at all times seem modest by comparison, I am still craving the release of any treatment or screenplay for PLANET OF THE TITANS. The general storyline just sounds like it could make for a decent generic trek adventure movie even if it may not have made a great TOS story.

I just wish we could have seen a full sized Ken Adam ship model and not just the study models. Drax's station in Moonraker is probably what Adam had in mind for the Enterprise set
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 01:24 AM   #32
trevanian
Rear Admiral

MOONRAKER is definitely the beneficiary of Adam's months on TITANS. But there's a lot of serendipity at work on MR, given that for the first time the Bond people abandoned England to shoot in France, and were able to use Pompidou Centre for some bits, which also fits with the hamster tube approach seen aboard the station and on the ground in Drax's Venice lab.

The Mondrian-style launch complex interior is utterly wonderful, and I could easily see something like that in TITANS if there had been any slight justification to go that route. The 'space brain' TITANS sketches are hard for me to figure out, as it looks like a base made out of rock candy.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 01:34 AM   #33
Captrek
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Now wasn't there a ST II story treatment of a male and female duo that found Khan?
They REPLACED Khan as the antagonist, they didn't feature along with him. Was Peeples' take on things, which also introduced Saavik being female.
I'm a big fan of Peeples' teleplay for WNMHGB, and have always wanted to read his "Worlds That Never Were" screenplay for the second Trek film. Is it available anywhere?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 01:53 AM   #34
trevanian
Rear Admiral

You got me. I kinda think that maybe folks at STAR TREK THE MAGAZINE may have had a copy, since they included some info about it in an issue that didn't appear in TMOST2, like the polar bear crewmember, but that's just a guess.
Old June 10 2014, 02:53 AM   #35
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^I saw a copy a while back being sold on some ebay-like site for a couple hundred bucks. Not that interested...

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 05:04 PM   #36
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Leto_II wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
How does the novelization compare to the script?
Novelization?
The TMP novelization, I'd assume. And there are several concepts which leaked into Roddenberry's later novel, including the notion of Spock telepathically linking with Kirk while kneeling before the High Masters on Vulcan (in the very opening of the script), etc.

That particular one didn't make it into the final film, and it's clear that Gene decided to reuse several of them when writing the book.
He also used some of the transporter accident description as well.
Old July 7 2014, 08:41 AM   #37
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I really don't want to cast into the role of the thread's resident whiny bitch, but what are Rod Roddenberry's intentions concerning the release of the full ST:TGT script? I'd be perfectly happy to purchase a copy (or ten) from Roddenberry.com if that is the plan, but some sort of timetable would be very much appreciated.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 02:46 PM   #38
trevanian
Rear Admiral

He probably needs to find some ghostwriter to take all the italics out of moments like God's wrath PULVERIZES Sulu below the waist, instantly vaporizing his legs!
Old July 8 2014, 12:06 PM   #39
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

He probably needs to find some ghostwriter to take all the italics out of moments like God's wrath PULVERIZES Sulu below the waist, instantly vaporizing his legs!
*pictures the introduction to Eddie Murphy's character in Trading Places*

Luckily the piece of writing in question is a screenplay (where italics or UPPER CASE are apparently accepted methods of describing sequences not involving dialog) as opposed to a novelization.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 02:24 PM   #40
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I remember getting my spec kicked back from agents just because I had one sentence italicized in 1989 ... I was differentiating from the other big moments that used underline and caps, which were okay, because this was a big big moment (character shot with a Gyrojet, essentially a rocket propelled bullet) but they still mostly said 'can't do that.'
Old July 8 2014, 02:48 PM   #41
Marsden
Captain

I remember getting my spec kicked back from agents just because I had one sentence italicized in 1989 ... I was differentiating from the other big moments that used underline and caps, which were okay, because this was a big big moment (character shot with a Gyrojet, essentially a rocket propelled bullet) but they still mostly said 'can't do that.'
Gyrojet guns remind me of Star Frontiers. Anyone remember that one?

Sorry I'm off topic.
Old July 9 2014, 01:59 PM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post

Sorry I'm off topic.
Was that a game in a flat box from the 70s? I remember something that had hex shaped grids for starfields that was WAY too complicated for me to figure out how to play, it used to be advertised on the back of sci fi mags. I know Gyrojets from my grandfather's old gun manuals and later, from reading Larry Niven stories.
Old July 9 2014, 06:32 PM   #43
Marsden
Captain

Marsden wrote: View Post

Sorry I'm off topic.
Was that a game in a flat box from the 70s? I remember something that had hex shaped grids for starfields that was WAY too complicated for me to figure out how to play, it used to be advertised on the back of sci fi mags. I know Gyrojets from my grandfather's old gun manuals and later, from reading Larry Niven stories.
It was from TSR, as a futuristic type role playing game with a hex grid spaceship game associated with it. It had two 10 sided dice for percentage rolls. I think it was released in 82. I knew they didn't make that up, but they used it quite a bit. They also had regular bullet weapons, needle shooting guns, and lasers.
Old July 10 2014, 10:37 AM   #44
Nightowl1701
Captain

You obviously never read Damon Lindelof's screenplay for Prometheus, then. Roddenberry's writing is downright subtle by comparison.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 02:25 PM   #45
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I doubt you could pay me to read that guy's PROMETHEUS, I feel bad enough just for having seen the damned movie, which was probably my biggest letdown theatrically outside of TMP and the MATRIX sequels.