Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 5 2014, 09:30 PM   #16
Kommander
Commodore

Re: Ever encounter someone you know...

When I was 19 I ran into my cousin in a gay bar. He wasn't exactly out at the time, but didn't really care to keep it hidden either. He was a little disappointed when I told him I was there with friends and not to pick up men. (In a "we have something in common" context, not a "he wanted to fuck me" context.) The encounter was much more awkward for me because I was afraid he'd tell my dad about my fake ID, but he didn't.

I've recently started going to casual meet-ups for polyamorous people, and will probably start going to BDSM munches and similar things in the near future. I'll be surprised if I don't start running into people I know.
Old June 5 2014, 11:51 PM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The thing with crowded places like airports is it's a sea of unknown faces, not even somewhat familiar like in your local supermarket. So a person that your brain recognizes leaps out at you.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 01:27 AM   #18
mimic
Rear Admiral

One summer I ran into a high school classmate at the restaurant on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I went to HS in PA.

Another time I was at a Flyers game with my brother, and the girl sitting next to me had been my standmate at several PMEA concerts. It was definitely one of those odd 'hey, are you...?' moments.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 01:58 AM   #19
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
Random_Spock wrote: View Post
Ran into one of my High School teachers at a grocery store in the parking lot.
I hope they weren't seriously injured.
No, it wasn't that kind of run into! I saw him there. It was pretty random to be honest.
Old June 6 2014, 02:05 AM   #20
Pondwater
Commodore

I saw an ex's roommate with his partner while waiting for a connecting flight. They were in the seating area for the next gate.
Old June 6 2014, 03:10 PM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yes, the woman who I married. We first met at the place where I worked while in college. She began dating a good friend of mine, so we got to know each other outside of work. Eventually she and my friend broke up and we lost contact. Then, about 8 years later she came into the place I was working, we recognized each other and exchanged numbers. One thing lead to another and three years later we got married. Unexpected on many levels.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 05:36 PM   #22
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
I ran into the little sister of a friend of mine at an airport in Germany who I hadn't seen in about 10 years.
Cool!

And congratulations, Nerys Myk. I quite envy you.

About 20 years ago I saw a former lover of mine on a train. Alas, I was so thunderstruck at seeing him after more than a decade that I was kindof petrified and when I recovered from my surprise he had vanished in the crowd I often wondered what had become of him since he had disappeared without a trace after his parents had died and he had gotten cheated out of his house. Looks like he's doing fine, though (I googled him the other day and shall try to get into contact with him again).
Old June 12 2014, 02:35 PM   #23
Shat Happens
Commander

Once I was in my car, stopped at a red light, a dude crossing the street recognized me and seemed very happy. I didn't recognize him but the guy was so friendly I played along. I wasn't a mistake because he called my name.

Having just a few seconds to exchange phone numbers before the light turned green, I picked the only piece of paper I had in the car, gave it to him so he wrote his name and number, got it back, tore it in half, wrote my name and number in the other half and gave it to him. Just then the light turns green and we went our ways away.

Next red light I looked at the paper -- and realized I've kept the wrong piece, with MY name and number.

I still have no idea who that fucker was.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 06:52 PM   #24
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

I've randomly ran into an old boss at Vancouver international airport on my way down to see shameless. Her and her entire family were there. It was slightly awkward trying to make conversation with the whole lot of them.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 07:20 PM   #25
shivkala
Rear Admiral

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
When I was kid, twice my family went to Disney World on summer vacation. Both times I ran into the same classmate and her family in the park.

Years later, I recognized her when I was stuffing dollar bills into her g-string.
My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold
My angel is a centerfold, angel is a *stripper*
My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold
Angel is a *stripper*

In my senior year of high school, I went up to Boston to interview at a college. We met my Uncle and Aunt at a mall and ate at the Cheesecake Factory. Low and behold, the manager was a former neighbor from our street back in New York.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 07:39 PM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just this past Friday someone I went to High School with delivered my pizza. This is someone in high school who was very, very smart; in fact he got a really good scholarship.

I answered the door and there was a "knowing" look on his for a moment, he mentioned that he went to high school with someone with my name, after noticing it on the CC ticket, and after some questions we determined that it was me as we went to the same high school and the same graduation year. I even recognized his name after we talked some.

Heck, not only was he a pizza delivery driver he also grew a whole other two people in weight.

Quite, shocking to see, really. Would not have called that for him at all.
Old June 13 2014, 08:44 PM   #27
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I was in Omaha on a business trip, and the guy working the desk at the hotel was a guy who lived on my floor in my freshman year dorm. We both had the "Where do I know this guy from?" look for a few minutes until we figured it out.
Old June 14 2014, 09:52 PM   #28
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

I once saw a former coworker at a strip club, dancing. LOL. And all sorts of people from school, work and family friends visiting. LOLOLOL!!!

Actually a girl who bullied me in middle school was dancing there too and wanted to date me so many years later.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 02:25 AM   #29
Finn
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Just this past Friday someone I went to High School with delivered my pizza. This is someone in high school who was very, very smart; in fact he got a really good scholarship.

I answered the door and there was a "knowing" look on his for a moment, he mentioned that he went to high school with someone with my name, after noticing it on the CC ticket, and after some questions we determined that it was me as we went to the same high school and the same graduation year. I even recognized his name after we talked some.

Heck, not only was he a pizza delivery driver he also grew a whole other two people in weight.

Quite, shocking to see, really. Would not have called that for him at all.
I have someone who I suspect may have met a similar fate as this guy you knew. He was incredibly smart, but very socially awkward…well beyond me on both counts. I'm sure he got an scholarship. Nobody knows what became of him which is astonishing for me as he came from the same town as the school (a school for the deaf) and his mother used to help out at the school. I'm Facebook friends with who probably was one of the only two close friends to him, and she has no idea what happened to him.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:31 AM   #30
HIjol
Captain

walking the 1000 year-old streets of Gamla Stan (Old Town) in Stockholm, I heard a girl child's voice say what I thought was my name...I shook my head and walked on, certain that I heard wrong...until I heard it again...it was one of my previous years first grade student with her family...talk about random...!...but very cute...

My grade school principal and I got to know each other very well...or, more accurately, she got to know my butt-cheeks very well (easy, not like that!)...I was in her office weekly for paddlings for naughtiness...she was a real fire-ball, right out of Central Casting for Spinster Old School Principals...years later, as I was delivering for United Parcel, I found myself face-to-face with her, as I had a package...we only looked at addresses in those days, until someone answered the door...I am sure as I can be she did not recognize me...it was only then that I realized she had always been about 4' 9"...she had always seemed bigger to me...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote