Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 12 2014, 11:21 AM   #76
Markonian
Captain

Re: Who Should Be the Next Captain of the Enterprise?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I would love to see the Trek novels start over 100 or so years in the future. Completely reinvent the universe like "TNG" did, and give us a new crew on board the Enterprise-G or -H.

No idea how realistic that would be, but it could be fun.
Or as an animated series, like the Star Trek: Final Frontier project attempted. Only less apocalyptical, that is. If that series focused on singular episodes and its characters, only hinting at backstory events, it would leave a lot of breathing room to 24th century novels and/or the STO timeline - if it would be set in any of those timelines at all.

Enterprise-J would be a good point to start with, as we've seen that ship before. It could even be redesigned, because it originally stems from an obsolete timeline.
Old June 12 2014, 03:03 PM   #77
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I would love to see the Trek novels start over 100 or so years in the future. Completely reinvent the universe like "TNG" did, and give us a new crew on board the Enterprise-G or -H.

No idea how realistic that would be, but it could be fun.
Or as an animated series, like the Star Trek: Final Frontier project attempted. Only less apocalyptical, that is. If that series focused on singular episodes and its characters, only hinting at backstory events, it would leave a lot of breathing room to 24th century novels and/or the STO timeline - if it would be set in any of those timelines at all.
Personally, I would love to see a shorter time jump ahead (40-45 years) to STO's Enterprise-F, but that would be the only aspect of STO that I'd like to see. Otherwise, I'd like to have it with new characters and situations from the novelverse rather than the game.
Old June 12 2014, 05:37 PM   #78
Markonian
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Personally, I would love to see a shorter time jump ahead (40-45 years) to STO's Enterprise-F, but that would be the only aspect of STO that I'd like to see. Otherwise, I'd like to have it with new characters and situations from the novelverse rather than the game.
The Star Trek multiverse is large enough to host several timelines. We are used to different eras, so why not get used to different universes and different timelines as well? Or, why even set a series in a single timeline? It worked with DS9's Season 9 already, which involved the MU.

Now that I think of it, your idea, Evans, would have the advanage of a new setting while still keeping familiar characters around. With the life expectancy established, basically everyone we know from the 24th and late 23rd centuries is still around.
Old June 12 2014, 06:35 PM   #79
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The Star Trek multiverse is large enough to host several timelines. We are used to different eras, so why not get used to different universes and different timelines as well?
I just don't like all of them at the same time.
Or, why even set a series in a single timeline? It worked with DS9's Season 9 already, which involved the MU.
It didn't work for me (but then just a little of the MU goes an extremely long way for me).
Now that I think of it, your idea, Evans, would have the advanage of a new setting while still keeping familiar characters around. With the life expectancy established, basically everyone we know from the 24th and late 23rd centuries is still around.
I was thinking sometime around the early 25th-Century (circa 2410), close enough to technically be a continuation of the TNG movie era (which probably would be late 2390 if they were still being made today).
Old June 13 2014, 06:01 AM   #80
Destructor
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Okay, so, granted, as of The Fall, Picard is 80 years old. But longevity is greater in the 24th century. Elias Vaughn was still vigorous and capable in his early 100s. So I'm not convinced Picard has to go anywhere. I don't think audiences would really want to see a version of TNG that didn't focus on Picard.
This is true! However if Picard died or whatever, I say give the Enterprise to Riker. You know he wants it.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 10:12 PM   #81
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
TheUsualSuspect wrote: View Post
I'd rather see Sisko stay on the Robinson. Moving him to the Enterprise seems too small-universey to me.
That's why all the names mentioned are to small-universe and far-fetched for me. Data has made it clear that he no intention (for the forsee-able future) to return to the Fleet, and even if he did, he won't simply be offered a command.
Kira,, Riker, Sisko, Ezri.... they would all be to fan-wankish and weird.

Worf or a new character are the only real logical choices. And if it's a new character, please let him/her be alien. And not a complete new one, but an established race, like Andorian or Tellarite.
How is Worf, a character from TNG and DS9 and a long time associate of Picards, less fan wanky and more logical than Kira, Riker, Sisko or any other Trek character?
Old June 13 2014, 10:40 PM   #82
Mage
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
TheUsualSuspect wrote: View Post
I'd rather see Sisko stay on the Robinson. Moving him to the Enterprise seems too small-universey to me.
That's why all the names mentioned are to small-universe and far-fetched for me. Data has made it clear that he no intention (for the forsee-able future) to return to the Fleet, and even if he did, he won't simply be offered a command.
Kira,, Riker, Sisko, Ezri.... they would all be to fan-wankish and weird.

Worf or a new character are the only real logical choices. And if it's a new character, please let him/her be alien. And not a complete new one, but an established race, like Andorian or Tellarite.
How is Worf, a character from TNG and DS9 and a long time associate of Picards, less fan wanky and more logical than Kira, Riker, Sisko or any other Trek character?
Because he's currently the XO of the ship, and a more logical choice then all of the other characters who all have lives going in directions that have nothing to do with commanding the Enterprise, except for a 'kewl' factor for fans.
Although some fans still cling to the concept of Worf never getting a command because of what happened during DS9 and him choosing Dax over the mission, current TrekLit has already established that Starfleet got over that, and already offered him a command, which he turned down, since he didn't feel ready yet.
Personally, I feel that having Sisko or Kira commanding the Enterprise would a be decision on the same level of 'inspired' as when Seven and Chakotay suddenly became a couple in VOY. Meaning, a bunch of writers thought it would be 'awesome'.
Old June 13 2014, 11:41 PM   #83
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Being XO doesn't mean you're next in line for the Captain's chair of your current assignment. Sisko is an experienced commander and war hero. In a real life military that would make him a top choice for the fleet's flagship. Kira may be a longer shot. Looking at Kira Lit history on Memory Beta, I see she is also an experienced commander and held the rank of Captain in Starfleet. So again, a real life military would see her as a viable commander for the Enterprise.
Old June 14 2014, 12:13 AM   #84
Tirius
Captain

My vote goes to Worf. While he may not be the first candidate Starfleet-wide, he does have years of experience on the ship now, knows it well and also has both a great deal of tactical and diplomatic experience that would be required for the flagship. He's also likely the most marketable character from the current TNG crew.

Of the other characters mentioned in the posts directly above, I agree Sisko feels too small-universe, and not an ideal choice given his recent "instabilities"; he's just gotten settled on the Robinson so I'd leave him there for a while yet. Kira has retired from service, and I don't see her returning unless there was some great threat that demanded her presence. And I don't see Riker leaving Titan either. I suppose he could leave command to Vale and return to the Enterprise with Troi, but that would not only make things awkward for Worf, but also leave behind the closely-knit crew he helped build on Titan. I just don't see that happening.

If we do go for a new character, then yes: let it be an alien, perhaps also a woman. I've actually warmed to STO's Shon quite a bit during the recent updates, but we've already explored Andorian, Vulcan and to a lesser extent Tellarite culture quite a bit. My pick would be from one of the less-often mentioned Federation species, like a Benzite or a Denobulan. And if we do have to have a human, let it be one from a colony world.
Tirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 07:21 AM   #85
Mage
Commodore

Being XO doesn't mean you're next in line for the Captain's chair of your current assignment. Sisko is an experienced commander and war hero. In a real life military that would make him a top choice for the fleet's flagship. Kira may be a longer shot. Looking at Kira Lit history on Memory Beta, I see she is also an experienced commander and held the rank of Captain in Starfleet. So again, a real life military would see her as a viable commander for the Enterprise.

All those reasons make complete sense, but when it comes to TrekLit, those reasons don't always apply. And having Sisko, who was the main star of DS9, becoming the captain of the Enterprise, seems very fanboyish, like someone suggesting somewhere on the forum that a fanfilm with the E-E staffed by people from all shows. It's a bit to much I feel.

As for the reasons you mentioned of a n experienced captain, I pointed out earlier in this thread that I would like a complete new character. That would make the most sense to me. An older captain, preferably alien, that would take the center seat.
Old June 14 2014, 10:26 AM   #86
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

But Starfleet is neither a real life military nor, although having aspects that are very similar to a military is it actually a military force.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:34 AM   #87
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

^ Yes, this. It's always struck me as unjustified when people criticise aspects of Starfleet's functioning by pointing to the protocol of modern militaries. While military organizations as they exist and have existed are clearly a massive influence on Starfleet, it's also clear that Starfleet is a distinct organization, of a type that doesn't exist in reality. It draws strongly from a military, and partially fulfils the role of such, but isn't the same beast. Which isn't to say that they can get away with anything or that logic doesn't apply, or that comparing Starfleet protocol to military standards isn't useful and often fruitful, but the arguments along the lines of "Riker's been in the same first officer post for seven years, his career is over, because in a real military you'd be moving on after two or three" always struck me as uncalled for.
Old June 14 2014, 03:46 PM   #88
TheUsualSuspect
Lieutenant

the arguments along the lines of "Riker's been in the same first officer post for seven years, his career is over, because in a real military you'd be moving on after two or three" always struck me as uncalled for.
Well, we do have the canonical discussions of Riker's career in "The Best of Both Worlds," although he continued on as first officer for a decade or so after that.

But I do agree that the extent that we can determine what Starfleet would or would not do based on contemporary military practices is pretty limited.
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 04:27 PM   #89
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
But Starfleet is neither a real life military nor, although having aspects that are very similar to a military is it actually a military force.
So is there an "in universe" reason a person like Sisko shouldn't be the CO of the Enterprise? Because looking at his CV, I'd think any organization, military or civilian, real or imaginary would have him on the short list for a leadership position.

Starfleet is military. No matter what Roddenberry in his later years or anyone else might say, When the UFP goes to war Starfleet is who fights it.
Old June 14 2014, 04:40 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

Starfleet is military. No matter what Roddenberry in his later years or anyone else might say, When the UFP goes to war Starfleet is who fights it.
I don't think the objection is to the idea of Starfleet being military -- it's to the assumption that a future multispecies interstellar military must be organized the same way as the 20th/21st-century United States military and must handle promotions and assignments in the same way. There have surely been historical military organizations that were structured differently, and there would undoubtedly be alien militaries that are structured differently too.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote