CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 29 2014, 02:11 AM   #16
E-DUB
Captain

Re: Serpents in the Garden cover

My thoughts were that McCoy was correct in his assessment of what would happen on that planet and that the conflict there would only be resolved once the greater conflict which spawned it (that between the Federation and the Klingon Empire) was resolved.

I recently rewatched the TNG episode "Too Short a Season" and wonder if the writers of that episode took the concept of the man supplying arms to both sides from "A Private Little War".
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 03:14 AM   #17
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I actually remember this thread. The wiki entry has been changed since, though, so I assume the 'original Jameson'=Kirk claim was untrue.
Old January 29 2014, 08:10 AM   #18
RPJOB
Commander

I'd imagine that something similar would happen to any number of planets in the Fed/Klingon border area. They can't fight each other due to the Organians so they tend to fight proxy wars. You probably wouldn't be able to supply the natives with phasers but you can teach them to build weapons of their own. A similar situation probably played out on dozens of planets.

You can actually imagine something similar happening in A Private Little War when Kirk is encouraging the Organins to rise up against the Klingons even though they have made it quite clear that they are willing to follow the Klingons instructions. Kirk knew that Kir had said he would do and he still committed sabotage that would be blamed on the natives. Federation first, natives second seems to be how the Prime Directive is interpreted in these situations. When you have a culture that hasn't had any contact with another spacefaring race (or government) then you can pull out the purer version of the PD.
Old January 29 2014, 08:31 AM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I actually remember this thread. The wiki entry has been changed since, though, so I assume the 'original Jameson'=Kirk claim was untrue.
IIRC, the original Jameson = Kirk pitch was mentioned in the "ST:TNG Companion".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 01:10 AM   #20
Fer
Commander

So now that the book is out, can anyone tell me where it takes place in regards to the movies? Pre-TMP? Post-TMP/Pre-TWOK? Post STV/Pre-TUC? The only other thread I can find on it is the review thread, and I'd like to avoid spoilers if I can. Thank you!
Old June 12 2014, 01:53 AM   #21
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Fer wrote: View Post
So now that the book is out, can anyone tell me where it takes place in regards to the movies? Pre-TMP? Post-TMP/Pre-TWOK? Post STV/Pre-TUC? The only other thread I can find on it is the review thread, and I'd like to avoid spoilers if I can. Thank you!
Pre-TMP.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 12:15 AM   #22
Fer
Commander

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Fer wrote: View Post
Pre-TMP.
Thank you!