RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,199
Posts: 5,436,818
Members: 24,948
Currently online: 470
Newest member: TedCarchidi

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 10 2014, 07:40 PM   #466
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

I had Nintendo's briefing on in the background as I'm not much of a fan of theirs, but they seemed to have some good stuff on display. I feel they were probably the best of the big three, although I personally found the MS and Sony conferences more interesting.

martok2112 wrote: View Post
I also was not keen with one of M$ higher up's attitudes when it came to (at the time) the requirement (that they've since, provisionally, rescinded) that your Xbox One be online at all times. "if you want to play games that don't require you to be online, or if you don't have an online connection...there's another solution....it's called Xbox 360.".
Thankfully, that guy (Don Mattrick) was banished to Zynga within a month of that gaff. The new head of Xbox is Phil Spencer and he seems to have a better ear for what gamers actually want, which is why they dropped so many of their offputting policies, and why their E3 conference this year was focused intently on games.

At this point, I think the PS4 and Xbox One are fairly evenly matched. The PS4 has better hardware while the Xbox has better software, and they both have decent exclusives lined up. But I can't help shake the feeling that MS might not be committed to Xbox for the long haul. The Xbox brand was intended to use video games as a trojan horse to allow MS to take over the living room, but the tech industry has moved towards tablets and phones and controlling the living room isn't as important for MS any more. What's more, consumers just didn't want the Xbox when it was presented as a media centre, which suggests their vision they set out with 15 years ago may itself be flawed. MS shareholders have been increasingly vocal about dropping Xbox in recent years, and I fear that if the new Xbox management don't manage to turn things around quickly then MS could drop them, or sell the division to some other company. I don't have that fear about Playstation, they're far too important and successful for Sony to cut them loose.

I'm confident that PS4 will still be supported and will have new games five years from now. Xbox One probably will too, but I'm not confident about that.


FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Project Morpheus however (VR headset for the PS4) could be a real wrench in MS' plans if it turns out to be good and receives some good games, so far i have not seen a similar device for the XO.
VR could be the biggest thing to happen to video games in decades. Or it could fizzle out like 3D did. But it is another reason to side with PS4 this gen because we know that Sony are at least experimenting with the concept.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 08:10 PM   #467
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Traditional games, be it FPS or 3rd person ones, don't work properly in VR. The mismatch between visual and physical feedback becomes way too big, causing sickness. You want full range of motion when you already have full range of vision, but that will never be possible in the living room. You want different interaction, like really holding your virtual rifle. And when you have full range of motion, you for example run through virtual walls because there are not real wall stopping you, which breaks the immersion (and when you disconnect the camera movement from your head movement once you hit a wall, you cause motion sickness, so it's a lose-lose situation). So VR ready games need to be very different. So I think it's highly certainly going to fizzle for mainstream games. 3D on the other hand is going to stay. High res autostereoscopic displays coupled with Fishtank VR will be da shiznit, enhancing traditional game setups.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 12:24 AM   #468
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

GodBen, those are all excellent points you raised. Believe me, I was well aware of that guy's outing shortly after his arrogant statement, and his replacement by another who seemed to have a better grip on things. . The stigma still lingers with me a bit though.

To be honest, I have no doubts that, as a machine, the Xbox One is excellent, as is the PS4. Certainly, M$ learned their lesson after Xbox 360's massive tech problems..... 52% manufacture fail rate in some shipments. Xbox One in its first production run is probably far more sound than Xbox 360 was in its production life.

Something else that concerns me is, how long will the two companies continue to support/sell their older systems? Sony was really good about this, seemingly realizing that not everyone can afford the latest, greatest in gaming...so they continued to support the PS2 well into PS3's production life. M$ pretty much dropped the original Xbox not too long into the 360's production life.

Sony's mindset: not everyone has 200-300 dollars of disposable cash to afford a PS3, but they still love video games. So, we offer them the option to get a PS2 for 100 bucks, which still has a massive library of quality games. (just good luck in finding a lot of them that aren't "previously enjoyed")

The devil in the details: Sony dropped backwards compatibility not long after 360 did, meaning that if you wanted to continue to play PS2 titles, and did not have an original 60GB model of the PS3, you either had to hope you still had a PS2, or had to go buy one (relatively inexpensive as they are.). A way of maximizing some money for themselves. Yeah...rather shrewd and ruthless...so for that matter, they didn't exactly win points in my ethics book...and it's probably a far more overriding reason than the more altruistic one I offered earlier.


M$ mindset: Can't afford the latest and greatest? Sucks to be you.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 12:28 AM   #469
Steven
Admiral
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Location: Winnipeg
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Well I'm buying a Wii U soon. I'm not sure how much this Direct would appeal to more casual Nintendo fans, but for me it was fantastic. The entire lineup was brilliant.

And, as for the conference itself, I loved the focus on developers. It was great to see the actual developers behind the game sitting in a relaxed place talking about their games. And, even the humour was spot-on. Mother 3 joke? Nicely done Nintendo.
Welcome to the club. I picked up a Wii U last October (the Wind Waker bundle) and although I don't have a whole lot of games for it yet, there was a lot in this presentation that I will be picking up when they're released or shortly thereafter.

I had the Live @ E3 broadcast on during the day, and I gotta say that Splatoon looks like so much fun.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looked beautiful and I can't wait to try out Hyrule Warriors. I've never played any of the Dynasty Warriors games and it looks like organized chaos.

Anyone watching the Smash Bros. tournament at the moment?
__________________
Niners aren't linear, we're everywhere!
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 03:48 AM   #470
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

I've been home sick from work today, so I've been lying on the couch watching Nintendo footage all day. I fell asleep once or twice and missed a bit of footage, but I got most of it. The Smash Tournament was awesome. I'm not a huge fan of fighters and Smash Bros. is no exception to that, but it was fun to watch. The Zelda Williams appearance was a nice touch.

And Nintendo still isn't done with the reveals. We've just learned that Pacman is a playable character in Smash Bros. and that there's a big new 3DS title set to be announced tomorrow at 6pm PST (9pm EST). Come on Advance Wars 3DS!
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:44 AM   #471
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Something else that concerns me is, how long will the two companies continue to support/sell their older systems? Sony was really good about this, seemingly realizing that not everyone can afford the latest, greatest in gaming...so they continued to support the PS2 well into PS3's production life. M$ pretty much dropped the original Xbox not too long into the 360's production life.
Define "support". Sony has no announced PS3 games that I'm aware of (though many third parties like EA are still dual-platforming; Ubisoft is the only exception I can name right now). Their last game was, what, Gran Turismo 6?

I'd argue that Sony's dropped support already, myself.

martok2112 wrote: View Post
The devil in the details: Sony dropped backwards compatibility not long after 360 did, meaning that if you wanted to continue to play PS2 titles, and did not have an original 60GB model of the PS3, you either had to hope you still had a PS2, or had to go buy one (relatively inexpensive as they are.).
360 never dropped backwards compatibility; they did stop adding more titles at some point, but even a new Xbox 360 E should still be able to play the backwards-compatible Xbox [1] titles.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 09:38 AM   #472
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Traditional games, be it FPS or 3rd person ones, don't work properly in VR. The mismatch between visual and physical feedback becomes way too big, causing sickness. You want full range of motion when you already have full range of vision, but that will never be possible in the living room. You want different interaction, like really holding your virtual rifle. And when you have full range of motion, you for example run through virtual walls because there are not real wall stopping you, which breaks the immersion (and when you disconnect the camera movement from your head movement once you hit a wall, you cause motion sickness, so it's a lose-lose situation). So VR ready games need to be very different. So I think it's highly certainly going to fizzle for mainstream games. 3D on the other hand is going to stay. High res autostereoscopic displays coupled with Fishtank VR will be da shiznit, enhancing traditional game setups.
The problems you mention applied to previous generations of VR hardware which couldn't provide the latency and resolution needed to create a usable VR experience.

Oculus Rift seemed to be the first commercially available product that may have solved these issues and Morpheus doesn't see too far behind.

There are tons of videos where people try out the developer versions of Oculus and many have reported some motion sickness with early versions which have been fixed now.

What remains to be done is mostly the programming and that's for the game developers to accomplish which will inevitably take some time but it should be no problem to disallow movements that are not allowed in real life such as walking through walls.

Input wise i could see specialized third party controllers being developed if the VR thing takes off. Especially shooters could benefit by making model guns (pistols and assault rifles) that you hold like the real world equivalent with adapted movement controls so you can move around while holding the gun (this would also be very interesting for real militaries for training purposes).

It just depends on how big the VR market will be if the headsets work as advertised. As someone else has already mentioned this could be the killer device of our generation and open up whole new possibilities to use them for entertainment as well as many other real life applications.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:26 PM   #473
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

ATimson wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
Something else that concerns me is, how long will the two companies continue to support/sell their older systems? Sony was really good about this, seemingly realizing that not everyone can afford the latest, greatest in gaming...so they continued to support the PS2 well into PS3's production life. M$ pretty much dropped the original Xbox not too long into the 360's production life.
Define "support". Sony has no announced PS3 games that I'm aware of (though many third parties like EA are still dual-platforming; Ubisoft is the only exception I can name right now). Their last game was, what, Gran Turismo 6?

I'd argue that Sony's dropped support already, myself.

martok2112 wrote: View Post
The devil in the details: Sony dropped backwards compatibility not long after 360 did, meaning that if you wanted to continue to play PS2 titles, and did not have an original 60GB model of the PS3, you either had to hope you still had a PS2, or had to go buy one (relatively inexpensive as they are.).
360 never dropped backwards compatibility; they did stop adding more titles at some point, but even a new Xbox 360 E should still be able to play the backwards-compatible Xbox [1] titles.
Support, I was referring to their past practices, that Sony supported PS2 during PS3's production life far longer than M$ did for Xbox during the 360's life...again leading to the notion that at least Sony considers those gamers who are not fortunate enough to have gotten a PS3 at that time, the PS2 was still available. I'll reiterate the M$ mindset: "Can't afford the latest and greatest? Sucks to be you."

Of course it was inevitable that support and production for PS2 would eventually cease....but, Sony maintained such support for a previous gen system for far longer than M$ did. The Xbox was practically history when they rolled out the 360 .

However, both companies have adopted services that allow you to download games from prior generations to be played on 360 or PS3.

As far as the new systems go:
I can also say that right now, I am not impressed with PlayStation Now, which is a service (currently in beta test) that allows PS4 owners to play PS3 titles via streaming. I started playing Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 via PS Now, and the visuals were fine for all of five minutes of gameplay...then I got a message saying I didn't have the bandwidth to properly play PS Now....and the picture quality dropped to something like a piss poor YouTube video....and I have kick-ass broadband service.

I still cannot be bothered to get an Xbox One until I am 110% sure they won't try to reinstitute the drm and anti-used game policies they tried to push on gamers before system release. Even if it was merely a publicity stunt to make them suddenly appear as if they actually "listened to gamers", the damage has already been done. Sorry,M$, but you've lost this prospective buyer until you can prove to me beyond a shadow of a shadow of a doubt that you WILL NOT pull that horseshit again. Til then, I'll just stick with my 360, my PS3 and my PS4 .

I still hang onto my older consoles so I can go back and revisit titles that didn't make it into download or backwards compatibility support.


I still have a PS2, original Xbox, GameCube, two PSP's, two 360's and two PS3's.

I have a PS4 and a PS Vita.

Last edited by martok2112; June 11 2014 at 05:41 PM.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 07:06 PM   #474
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

I have a PS1, 2, 3 and PSP and plan on adding the 4 in there when I get around to it. Vita though, no, the battery life and tiny game library are pretty big turn offs for that one.

Never owned a M$ console and don't plan to.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 08:15 PM   #475
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

The Vita is awesome, but it does have niche appeal. If you enjoy indie games and quirky Japanese games it's one of the best systems that you can buy.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 11:33 PM   #476
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The Vita is awesome, but it does have niche appeal. If you enjoy indie games and quirky Japanese games it's one of the best systems that you can buy.
And Borderlands 2 runs purdy durned good on the Vita too...now that they seem to have worked out the bugs.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:36 PM   #477
Lookingglassman
Admiral
 
Lookingglassman's Avatar
 
Location: America
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Sure, I'm going to get both, years from now when more games are out and I can get a cheaper used copy. I didn't buy my PS3 for years and then got a used one for $150 and it has been running great with no problems.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:54 PM   #478
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Traditional games, be it FPS or 3rd person ones, don't work properly in VR. The mismatch between visual and physical feedback becomes way too big, causing sickness. You want full range of motion when you already have full range of vision, but that will never be possible in the living room. You want different interaction, like really holding your virtual rifle. And when you have full range of motion, you for example run through virtual walls because there are not real wall stopping you, which breaks the immersion (and when you disconnect the camera movement from your head movement once you hit a wall, you cause motion sickness, so it's a lose-lose situation). So VR ready games need to be very different. So I think it's highly certainly going to fizzle for mainstream games. 3D on the other hand is going to stay. High res autostereoscopic displays coupled with Fishtank VR will be da shiznit, enhancing traditional game setups.
The problems you mention applied to previous generations of VR hardware which couldn't provide the latency and resolution needed to create a usable VR experience.

Oculus Rift seemed to be the first commercially available product that may have solved these issues and Morpheus doesn't see too far behind.

There are tons of videos where people try out the developer versions of Oculus and many have reported some motion sickness with early versions which have been fixed now.

What remains to be done is mostly the programming and that's for the game developers to accomplish which will inevitably take some time but it should be no problem to disallow movements that are not allowed in real life such as walking through walls.

Input wise i could see specialized third party controllers being developed if the VR thing takes off. Especially shooters could benefit by making model guns (pistols and assault rifles) that you hold like the real world equivalent with adapted movement controls so you can move around while holding the gun (this would also be very interesting for real militaries for training purposes).

It just depends on how big the VR market will be if the headsets work as advertised. As someone else has already mentioned this could be the killer device of our generation and open up whole new possibilities to use them for entertainment as well as many other real life applications.
The things I mention also apply to the current version of the Oculus Rift. Motion sickness in these cases isn't caused by latency, it's caused by the disconnect between virtual and real movement. Of course the impact varies from user to user, but the issue will always remain.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 08:12 AM   #479
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Took me a while to get used to the 3D effect on the 3DS, now it's not straining at all. I realize that's not even close, but I think at least for me I'll be perfectly comfortable in an Oculus Rift after an initial acclimation period.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 11:52 AM   #480
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
Sure, I'm going to get both, years from now when more games are out and I can get a cheaper used copy. I didn't buy my PS3 for years and then got a used one for $150 and it has been running great with no problems.
A wise policy. One that I honestly should follow, since I don't really do multi-player gaming anymore....the down side is that if I did follow such a policy, and did decide to get back into MP gaming, a lot of the games that had come out initially for the newer systems probably have lost their online support by that time.

One of my favorite Xbox 360 games was Chromehounds. I got in quite a few rounds with a clan I had joined, and then, a couple months later...bam....no more online support. The game was then useless. It had a shallow single player mode, that really was just a tutorial for the online matches.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
microsoft, ps4, sony, xbox

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.