Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26 2014, 05:52 AM   #5041
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Lance wrote:
Seriously, the only I thing I still dislike about it is John Harrison turning out to be Khan. I like Cumberbatch's acting and I like the way the character of 'John Harrison' was developed to a certain point, but when that bombshell drops that he was Khan all along it just feels like a cheap trick.

For me everything else about the movie has just gotten better with the passing of time.
This is very similar to how I feel. An example of one thing that has really grown on me is the music. In the theater I more or less disliked everything about the TWOK-lite reactor scene, especially the Quinto Khan scream, but now I really like the music that's playing as Kirk goes into the reactor.
Old May 28 2014, 08:51 PM   #5042
Midshipman
Cadet

I admit to a certain feeling of "really?" when he says "My name is Khan."

It passes after a while. You just can't hate a movie about Kirk vs. Khan.

I say this movie gets a pass just for being about Khan. It makes me want to watch Star Trek II again.
Midshipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 09:59 PM   #5043
publiusr
Commodore

The Vengeance is my favorite trek ship now.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 06:52 PM   #5044
Uhurock
Ensign

It's funny, my rating was A+ the first time I saw it. With subsequent viewings I began to feel kinda jerked around: here'e your moment of a) Zen. b) emotion. c) discussion. d) discussion with contentious McCoy and Snarky Spock. e) Kirk diving thru space. f) Kirk getting laid. g) Kirk getting the crap beat out of him. h) Ditto. i) Ditto. j) romance. k) couple moments in a coupla moments with Spock and Uhura. j) Big Emotion. Here's your Enterprise Rising Out of a) ocean b) clouds. Here's your moment of Kirk hanging off a) catwalk in Engineering b) Warp Core thingy above thingy Kirk has to kick.Oh yeah and let's not forget the head-squishin' kidney-kickin' leg-breakin' action superstar Khan, which, WHY. Couldn't he have been Captain Garth, disillusioned by the existence of Section 31? Ugh.

This Khan plot is [sadly] probably going to evolve further in the next movie. It's too bad.
Uhurock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 09:55 PM   #5045
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Uhurock wrote: View Post
Couldn't he have been Captain Garth, disillusioned by the existence of Section 31? Ugh.
Because nobody outside of trek fans knows who the hell Garth is.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 10:03 PM   #5046
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Uhurock wrote: View Post
Oh yeah and let's not forget the head-squishin' kidney-kickin' leg-breakin' action superstar Khan, which, WHY.
It was quite puzzling given that ST09 did perfectly fine with an original villain... or at least a non-name recognition villain. And the international market surely wouldn't have cared whether it was Khan or not. (Spock doing the Khan scream was pretty funny, though.)
Old June 9 2014, 10:31 PM   #5047
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Look, it didn't have to be Khan. Although if I remember right, Khan's tube started to thaw on its own in "Space Seed" (since he was the leader). So that probably happened when Khan was discovered in the new universe, too. Of course, Marcus could have thawed out someone called Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, the augmented ruler of the British Commonwealth in 1996, for all it mattered. The story could've been the same. (And it would've allowed a great line of its own. In the brig, instead of Cumberbatch ending his story by saying, "My name is, Khan." He could've said, "There are some who call me, Tim.")

The fun was it was Khan. That's all. And to the extent it did add some publicity, that didn't hurt. (I'm sorry, the secret that it wasn't Khan wasn't that secret -- Abrams and his people are better than that.) It creates some nice symmetry, too. It means that in both universes, Khan was the catalyst that allowed Kirk to turn himself around at a critical point in his life. In both universes, Kirk needed Khan.

So, Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, or Khan? It was basically one nice, big, blatant Easter Egg, even if not all fans could appreciate it.
Old June 9 2014, 10:44 PM   #5048
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
Of course, Marcus could have thawed out someone called Timothy Wilberforce Lucas, the augmented ruler of the British Commonwealth in 1996, for all it mattered. The story could've been the same. (And it would've allowed a great line of its own. In the brig, instead of Cumberbatch ending his story by saying, "My name is, Khan." He could've said, "There are some who call me, Tim.")
Love it.
Old June 10 2014, 02:25 PM   #5049
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I thought Star Trek Into Darkness was the worst Star Trek movie ever?

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/star-tr...h-anniversary/
Old June 10 2014, 06:01 PM   #5050
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I thought Star Trek Into Darkness was the worst Star Trek movie ever?
Well, they do say:
Wired wrote:
... or to give it its proper name, “The Worst Star Trek Movie That Isn’t Star Trek Into Darkness.”
TFF is too easy a target, though, and the Wired piece seems to acknowledge it by taking only a half-hearted bash in commemoration of the 25-year anniversary. In spite of all its problems and the sharp turn to WTFery, I think I ultimately found that movie less disappointing than I did either TUC or Generations.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 09:21 PM   #5051
The Stig
Rear Admiral

TFF has a sense of fun and the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy interactions of all the films. On the flip side it has terrible FX and doesn't make a lick of sense. It's kinda like the Season 3 of Trek films.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 09:23 PM   #5052
BigJake
Rear Admiral

TFF is the only Star Trek film I found literally unwatchable. I've still never made it all the way through, every second is just that cringe-worthy; nothing since comes remotely close.
Old June 10 2014, 09:26 PM   #5053
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
TFF is the only Star Trek film I found literally unwatchable. I've still never made it all the way through, every second is just that cringe-worthy; nothing since comes remotely close.
Star Trek: Insurrection is the only one of the twelve movies I find unwatchable. The rest are anywhere from passable to downright good.
Old June 10 2014, 09:32 PM   #5054
BigJake
Rear Admiral

^ Maybe it depends on how nauseating one finds INS on the cutesy-humor front.
Old June 11 2014, 04:09 AM   #5055
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's just something about watching the original cast together that I really enjoy; even if it's in a bad movie like TFF. To me, the cast, and their chemistry, makes TFF watchable. I think it's better than any of the TNG movies and certainly better than STID.

While TFF wasn't good, I do think its short comings were exaggerated. It's the 6th or 7th best Star Trek movie ever made.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote