TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 15 2014, 03:54 AM   #76
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Re: NX01 Refit

Very late to this partae: I quite like the refit NX-01.

She is an ugly ship (no doubt) - but, there's something steampunkish about it, it's grown on me over the years... even the duel deflector dishes feel like an 'earlier attempt' at what became a better design (later in Trekdom's timeline) - so in that light, I like what it represents.
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 11:01 AM   #77
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Watching "These are the Voyages..." recently, aside from the three Enterprises montage at the end, we don't see what the outside of the NX-01 looked like in 2161 do we?

The only obstacle as far I can tell, is Reed and Trip's scene in Engineering. Although that may not have been entirely relocated to the secondary hull. With an experimental class, it's probably reasonable to have that whole section detachable and still have the primary hull as Warp 5 capable as it's always been.
Old May 18 2014, 11:57 AM   #78
F. King Daniel
Admiral

In Star Trek Into Darkness, Enterprise NX-01 is seen in it's original (and IMHO, far superior) incarnation among Admiral Marcus' "History of Spaceflight" display.

Has anyone mentioned yet that in the novelverse, Drexler's refit design is used for the USS Endeavour NCC-06? Despite it being the first ship to be upgraded thusly, Admiral Archer had her named the Columbia-class after the NX-02 which was presumed lost during the Romulan war. The Endeavour is featured on the cover of the second Rise of the Federation novel.
Old May 18 2014, 12:52 PM   #79
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I kind of like it. It's certainly preferable to the horrible NX01...
Old May 30 2014, 01:38 AM   #80
Destructor
Commodore

I think the refit was a neat idea and it would have been great if it had happened in S5- they never would have done it of course, as then they couldn't re-use footage from earlier seasons!
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 11:12 AM   #81
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Well, considering the shows always been mostly one big continuity error, I'm actually okay with this design. I personally see the Earth/Romulan War as being similar to the Dominion War, with Earth facing a more technically advanced enemy and having to hurriedly refit and upgrade existing ships to serve until starship production lines can get up to speed. So yes, I can see the ship being fitted with a larger power core to operate more powerful weapons and sensors, and to free up space in the saucer for a larger crew.

Heck, I like it so much that I'm currently working on the model kit version. More than likely though I'll get rid of the hull mounted dish and do something along the lines of what this person did with theirs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/296074...7643606914624/
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 10:38 PM   #82
Echtzeit
Lieutenant

I don't like the refit version very much; it's a bit too bulky and not as sleek and spiffy as the original.
Old June 9 2014, 11:54 PM   #83
TheSubCommander
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Cpt. Porthos wrote: View Post
I'm curious as to what everyone feels about the design

While I didn't really care for this refit ~slash~ upgrade at first, it has begun to grow on me.

I wanted to ask everyone if I'm interpreting a feature correctly. In between where the engine struts join the secondary hull there is this thingy here, now the NX-01's shuttle pods are fairly small and this look like what I'll call a "heavy lander" set into a docking cradle.

It looks to be about two and a half decks tall, twenty some feet wide and over forty feet long (or more tucked into that over hang). The ability to carry this might in of itself be reason enough to incorporate a secondary hull onto the NX design. Especially if the NX were to be carrying and landing groups of MACO's.

I'm actually a fan of the standard NX-01 design, and I felt the same way about the NX-01 refit. At first, I thought it tried too hard to make the NX-01 look like a Connie, but after a while it grew on me, and now I think it might actually have been a good upgrade for a season 5.

I had thought to myself that a good explanation for the added secondary hull could have been a new, more powerful warp core that increased the speed up to Warp 6, as well as added cargo space for carrying those "primitive" thermonuclear torpedoes used during the Earth-Romulan War.

But I like the idea of it being maybe a detachable landing craft for a company of MACO's!
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 11:59 PM   #84
publiusr
Rear Admiral

The best angle on it is seen in Christopher's Babel Novel.

A flatter saucer might go better with that secondary hull.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 12:07 PM   #85
TheSubCommander
Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
The best angle on it is seen in Christopher's Babel Novel.

A flatter saucer might go better with that secondary hull.
This one?

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/asse...0c1b844b02.png

TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 09:33 PM   #86
Richard Baker
Captain

While I do like the Refit- I wish it had been done with some different curves and less of a fantail cut-out. The logic of upgrading an existing vessel by attaching a lower pod housing the improved equipment and tying it into the propulsion systems makes sense. It would have been nice to had a hangar deck also instead of mostly blocking the four drop doors, but you do have the remaining two stern doors which have never been seen in use.
The back story from Drexler IIRC was that after it's initial missions they determined the original NX was just not strong enough to deal with the challenges out there, hence the idea of adding more power and deflector capability. Ripping out all the existing structures would take forever, but adding the pod and splicing it in allowed the Refit to be done in a short time.
It would be interesting to see how later vessels being built all new would have changed. Having redundant systems might have been set aside for more labs and sensors...

It does bring the NX much closer to the TOS ships we are familiar with- IMO the original NX still looked too advanced for that time period. The clunkier secondary hull fixes that somewhat.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 08:20 PM   #87
publiusr
Rear Admiral

Agreed. It looks like something that came after TOS.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 06:04 AM   #88
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

I liked this design. Made it feel more like a starship.

The backstory from what I remember is that Starfleet wanted to test a longer endurance engine that could maintain Warp 5 for longer periods of time than the one installed in Enterprise. But with war looming, they decided it would be faster to fit it to the Enterprise as a test instead of fitting it to another under construction NX-class ship or a new ship, as they could get more hulls in space quicker if they bolted on a secondary hull to Enterprise than try to work out a new system on an untested ship (seeing how many problems they had just getting the NX-02 Columbia out of dock, that might have been wise).

The new secondary hull moves the main time-space warp stabilizer (or whatever it is called) into the new hull as it would be closer to the center rear of the new warp field. Inside the new hull are a new enlarged warp core and an enlarged navigation deflector to allow Enterprise to maintain Warp 5 to Warp 6 speeds for extended periods of time. There was also some additional storage.

The Shuttle pods were moved to new bays beside the new dorsal connector.

Originally, Enterprise's first Warp 5 core was left installed but deactivated as a safety measure. In case the new warp core failed, the Enterprise could eject the new hull and after some time, power up the old core. They'd have problems due to the loss of the time-space warp stabalizer within the secondary hull, but they could still operate at slower warp speeds. Later the old core was removed (via the doors in the rear of the saucer...that is what those are for). After that was removed, they added larger quarters for the senior officers. Possibly also expanded a lab or two for any post-war ships of this class that remained in service.

The redundant navigational deflector was retained in case the prototype one failed, or in case tey had to jettison the secondary hull. After the old warp core was removed, the redundant deflector remained as a backup or supplimentary deflector. Some later starships were remain this feature, but with a greatly reduced in size secondary navigation deflector.

Also added (supposedly) were an Andorian designed shield generator and Vulcan designed tractor beams. There proved difficult to get to work with Earth power systems, but they managed eventually.

The outer part of the warp nacelles were also covered for added protection.

The NX-01 was supposely rebuild into her original configuration for use as a museum ship. This might account for errors in the holographic record and issues with visitors not knowning about the "Columbia-class" extra features. Unless of course Memory Alpha also has one of the later Columbia-class ships as a museum ship in addition to the NX-class Enterprise.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 10:31 PM   #89
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Fingers crossed, it'll be joining that Eaglemoss Star Trek model with a magazine publication eventually.
Old June 30 2014, 09:26 PM   #90
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
The Shuttle pods were moved to new bays beside the new dorsal connector.
Actually, I don't think they were moved at all. I'm pretty sure they just rearranged the hangar so the pods enter and exit through the otherwise never-used rear doors.

The NX-01 was supposely rebuild into her original configuration for use as a museum ship. This might account for errors in the holographic record....
Human error accounts for that nicely. Besides, the Columbia extra features were pointless and silly looking and I would very much like to pretend they weren't really there.