RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 533
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 7 2014, 05:37 AM   #1
CaptainJon
Captain

Could a Kickstarter Campaign Help Start a New Series?

There's been some projects lately that have been funded by Kickstarter that have helped entice studios to produce them as well. The recent Veronica Mars movie comes to mind. So I had the thought that if the right producer (like Ronald D. Moore, for example) was willing to run a new Trek series, could a Kickstarter campaign help entice CBS to produce it as well? The startup costs for a new Star Trek series would be high but those could be offset by a Kickstarter campaign that might help CBS consider funding the project if their own investment was lower thanks to contributions by fans.

Kickstarter could also help lead to the season renewals for the series. If fans and viewers are happy with the series and ratings are strong enough, perhaps a Kickstarter campaign around the mid-season mark could help provide further incentive for CBS to renew for another season. And if fans are dissatisfied with the direction of the series and don't donate, they don't need to and let the series be cancelled.

Just something I thought I'd share and get people's opinions on.
CaptainJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 06:03 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Could a Kickstarter Campaign Help Start a New Series?

I don't think CBS needs the cash to start a Trek series. I think they are looking for the right climate to launch such a series.
Old June 7 2014, 06:06 AM   #3
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't think CBS needs the cash to start a Trek series. I think they are looking for the right climate to launch such a series.
This. If the interest is there, the money will be there, and CBS will cash in on it. Until then, we'll just have to keep watching the fan productions, and reading the slash fic-, er, fan fiction.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
This. If the interest is there, the money will be there, and CBS will cash in on it. Until then, we'll just have to keep watching the fan productions, and reading the slash fic-, er, fan fiction.
Sadly, I must agree with the above sentiments.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 03:50 AM   #5
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

I think they are looking for the right climate to launch such a series.
Maybe it wouldn't have been canceled in the first place if it was aired in the right climate, instead of UPN.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:04 AM   #6
CaptainJon
Captain

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
I think they are looking for the right climate to launch such a series.
Maybe it wouldn't have been canceled in the first place if it was aired in the right climate, instead of UPN.
While UPN as a network sucked, I think that a high-quality series could've overcome the network's faults. Enterprise started with big ratings and quickly lost those as fans and viewers gave up on a show that played it safe for too long. Had the quality of late-season three been present in season one, maybe even season two, then the series could possibly have gone on longer despite the shoddy network it was on.
CaptainJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 07:02 AM   #7
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Well, UPN was targeted more at a more modern, urban audience. It wasn't exactly the best network for a science fiction show.

When Enterprise was on, I couldn't even watch it, because we didn't have local channels, just satellite. So I never even watched most Enterprise until a couple of years after it was over when pirated copies started to appear online.

However we were selected to participate in the Nielsen ratings the year it was to be canceled. Even though I literally couldn't watch the show, we made sure to give Enterprise the best rating.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 08:44 AM   #8
2takesfrakes
Commodore

CBS is in "talks" with any number of people, all the time, about another STAR TREK series idea that's brought to them. But that's their job, to talk to people about new, or other series ideas. Whilst I'm not a Studio Executive, I have to say that I've not been impressed with anything I've heard, so far, being discussed - and I doubt they are either. CBS got burned thanks to ENTERPRISE, with all of its promise and expense - and is understandably reluctant to come out with another STAR TREK series. If, instead, they were "on the fence" about the idea, then I could see a Kickstarter Campaign making any kind of a difference ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 02:04 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CBS didn't really inherit Trek until after ENT got canceled. While Trek fans may be clamoring for a new Trek series, Trek is really just one of many properties that CBS owns. In a way, the success of the last two Trek movies by Paramount may have mitigated the need for a new Trek series to keep the brand afloat.

Additionally, the first-run syndicated drama market and UPN were the major factors for new Trek shows, things that CBS doesn't have to contend with.
Old June 8 2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Gretnablue
Ensign

Question and I know I'll probably not going to get an answer but how much are the TV right for Star Trek?
Gretnablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 02:13 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

IMO, they're not even for sale.
Old June 8 2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Red Omega
Lieutenant Junior Grade

CBS will not use Kickstarter to bring back Star Trek. But it is interesting to see the fan films using it. Renegades, Phase II, Continues, Horizon, and the best of them all, Axanar, all have used Kickstarter to raise money.
Red Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 01:39 AM   #13
2takesfrakes
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
CBS didn't really inherit Trek until after ENT got canceled. While Trek fans may be clamoring for a new Trek series, Trek is really just one of many properties that CBS owns. In a way, the success of the last two Trek movies by Paramount may have mitigated the need for a new Trek series to keep the brand afloat.

Additionally, the first-run syndicated drama market and UPN were the major factors for new Trek shows, things that CBS doesn't have to contend with.
My initial understanding was that CBS had somehow come into partnership with Paramount and purchased its Television Properties, thust "inheriting" STAR TREK, as you say. Then, someone "knowledgable" on these boards, I believe, informed me that CBS didn't "inherit" anything, that it had already owned it, or some junk. I don't even know, anymore ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 01:43 AM   #14
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just started watching the Phase II fan series today while sick at home, and I have to say the episode quality writing and production wise is so high (especially the newest episodes) that really, why do we need "official"? Official is just some people at CBS anyway, it's not like they're going to have Gene Roddenberry's work or David Gerrold/Harlan Ellison writing episodes. So their fanfic has a license, just fund the stuff that's done by the people who truly have a love for the show.

That said, a licensed trek kickstarted would generate millions in less than a few hours.
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 02:03 AM   #15
Dennis
Commodore

Star Trek aired for eleven seasons on UPN; therefore, the venue was not the problem.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote