RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,221
Posts: 5,405,343
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 490
Newest member: jeb1138

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3 2014, 10:44 PM   #1
J. Lester
Fleet Captain
 
J. Lester's Avatar
 
Location: Alabama
View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester
"Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

"If only...if only".

With those words, TOS ended, only to come back with a vengeance in syndication in the 1970s. I liked Scotty's recitation of Kirk's moods ("I've seen the captain feverish, sick, drunk..." etc.)
__________________
"Ee'd pebnista nordor formor purfektunum...."
Cloud William, reciting the Preamble to the United States Constitution.
J. Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 10:59 PM   #2
feek61
Captain
 
feek61's Avatar
 
Location: The Sunshine State
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

Indeed!
__________________
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 11:09 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

I always liked this one. I think Shatner gives a great performance as the cuckoo Lester.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

As always, there are things to be admired from every episode, no matter how bad it may have been overall. Yes, Scotty's "mutiny" discussion with McCoy ranks right up there as one of my favorite Trek scenes, along with the similar discussion Sulu and Chekov have on the bridge.

If only, indeed.
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 05:22 AM   #5
WisTrekFan
Lieutenant
 
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

One thing that has always bugged me about "Turnabout Intruder" is the death sentence Lester as Kirk gave to his senior officers. Would security really have carried out the order? Wouldn't someone like Sulu at the very least contact Starfleet Command about what was happening?
WisTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 10:22 PM   #6
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
One thing that has always bugged me about "Turnabout Intruder" is the death sentence Lester as Kirk gave to his senior officers. Would security really have carried out the order? Wouldn't someone like Sulu at the very least contact Starfleet Command about what was happening?
In the first and second season of TOS, the answers to your questions would be ''Hell, no'' and ''Definitely yes.''

But in Year Three, reality went out the window when McCoy gave Sulu orders on helm duties in WHOM GODS DESTROY and a security guard screamed for his friend ''SECURITY GUARD!!!'' in TURNABOUT. Plus Kirk and Chekov talking or screaming with their mouths shut in CLOUD MINDERS and DAY OF THE DOVE.

Sulu did say he intended to fight the order, but never planned out how. In previous years, no security detail was really a match for Spock anyhow. But now....
__________________
''Man in red shirt: Scotty, or dead. Woman in red shirt: Uhura, or love interest.''
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 10:42 PM   #7
WisTrekFan
Lieutenant
 
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

foxhot wrote: View Post
WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
One thing that has always bugged me about "Turnabout Intruder" is the death sentence Lester as Kirk gave to his senior officers. Would security really have carried out the order? Wouldn't someone like Sulu at the very least contact Starfleet Command about what was happening?
In the first and second season of TOS, the answers to your questions would be ''Hell, no'' and ''Definitely yes.''

But in Year Three, reality went out the window when McCoy gave Sulu orders on helm duties in WHOM GODS DESTROY and a security guard screamed for his friend ''SECURITY GUARD!!!'' in TURNABOUT. Plus Kirk and Chekov talking or screaming with their mouths shut in CLOUD MINDERS and DAY OF THE DOVE.

Sulu did say he intended to fight the order, but never planned out how. In previous years, no security detail was really a match for Spock anyhow. But now....

I think "Turnabout Intruder," while a good episode, could have benefited with a little more thought and some rewriting.
WisTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 02:15 AM   #8
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
One thing that has always bugged me about "Turnabout Intruder" is the death sentence Lester as Kirk gave to his senior officers. Would security really have carried out the order? Wouldn't someone like Sulu at the very least contact Starfleet Command about what was happening?
In the first and second season of TOS, the answers to your questions would be ''Hell, no'' and ''Definitely yes.''

But in Year Three, reality went out the window when McCoy gave Sulu orders on helm duties in WHOM GODS DESTROY and a security guard screamed for his friend ''SECURITY GUARD!!!'' in TURNABOUT. Plus Kirk and Chekov talking or screaming with their mouths shut in CLOUD MINDERS and DAY OF THE DOVE.

Sulu did say he intended to fight the order, but never planned out how. In previous years, no security detail was really a match for Spock anyhow. But now....

I think "Turnabout Intruder," while a good episode, could have benefited with a little more thought and some rewriting.

And also, "Turnabout" suffered from the same logical defect as "Whom Gods Destroy." I mean, if not hobbled by a plot necessity, Spock could determine real versus fake Kirk very easily with one or two specific questions. Like: what did you eat at our working breakfast yesterday, and who else attended that meeting?

McCoy or Scott could have done the same thing at the hearing. Under the guise of trying to destroy a woman's ridiculous claim of being Kirk, they could have vindicated "her" and destroyed fake Kirk on the spot.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 02:26 AM   #9
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

I don't hate this episode. It's not one of the best, but it's not the worst.

Shatner, in my humble opinion, did a great job playing Janice-playing-Kirk. That said, I've always liked Shatner's over the top style.

Add to that, in the scenes with Janice and the transfer machine he was ill and was sweating off the makeup as fast as they could put it on. That's a trouper, right there.

Did I mention that I like Shatner?
__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 03:26 PM   #10
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

I always thought it interesting that Janice as Kirk sentenced McCoy to be executed for the same crime as Scotty and Spock, even though at no point did McCoy say he was joining the mutiny. “You’re talking about mutiny, Scotty…Yes, I’m ready for the vote.” And at no point did McCoy (or anyone else) jump up and say “Um, but I didn’t agree to anything…” Granted, that’s probably the least of the story problems here, but every time I watch that scene, I think of it.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 06:57 AM   #11
erastus25
Fleet Captain
 
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

Any chance we can use a temporal anomaly to un-air this sexist piece of crap?
__________________
"Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
erastus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Marsden
Captain
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: Getting killed so the captain can have tea later.
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

Push The Button wrote: View Post
As always, there are things to be admired from every episode, no matter how bad it may have been overall. Yes, Scotty's "mutiny" discussion with McCoy ranks right up there as one of my favorite Trek scenes, along with the similar discussion Sulu and Chekov have on the bridge.

If only, indeed.
I like any time Scotty gets more time, this was a great example. I thought it was good performances all around. I didn't care for Dr. Coleman, but it could have been the character and not the actor, sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing.

I think besides being the last episode, this also is a no win episode and that can tend to leave you feeling down. You could say Kirk regains his body and ship as "winning" as in it's a positive outcome to regain what was lost, but he doesn't feel triumphant and therefore neither do we. The fact still remains that this person that Kirk had an involvment with, who certainly belongs in the same facility with Lord Garth being that she is criminally insane, is still a bitter ruined person that killed her own people just to trick him there and wants him dead. I think finding out someone wants to kill you is not a positive thing. Further more that said individual actually has killed many people to do so is even worse. And then Kirk, being himself, feels regret at her condition and wonders if he couldn't have done more to help her, even though it's clearly not his fault. And then it ends without so much as, "they will get her help at the hospital" or something to look forward with. So, it really is gloomy, not the kind of thing people shoot to the top of the list.

I also thought the rehashing of the footage of the transfer over and over was repetitive and wearing. I mean we got it.
__________________
"A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on, and licks it. Or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away."
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 07:23 PM   #13
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: "Turnabout Intruder" Originally Aired This Day in 1969

I’m a huge fan of Shatner as Kirk and even superior episodes like The Tholian Web don’t get visited by me as often because he’s hardly in it. But Turnabout Intruder, which is a badly written over the top piece of Gorn Guano is one I just LOVE to watch because Shatner is mesmerizing. He was sick with the flu throughout, but his energy never wavered and even though it’s stereotypical in its depiction of women at the time, it’s just so much damned fun to watch him let loose. The control his has over his voice and body is to be greatly admired. I always enjoy his utter meltdown during the trial. I’m an actor and I could never come close to that intensity and control on my best day.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.