TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 6 2014, 02:55 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Best of Bantam?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I have a soft spot for Death's Angel, although it's a blatant Mary Sue story. If ultra-cheesy aliens turn you off (think bipedal crocodiles that talk...)
I was a bit disappointed with "Death's Angel", which I pounced upon the moment it hit Australian bookshop shelves (a three-month boat ride for all imports in those days). But a friend loved it, and saw it only as parody. He created this costume for a convention just a few weeks later, and won:

Si-s-s-s (click) by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

As for the "Phoenix" novels, I found and read "Fate" first, frustrated in my long quest to find the first book in any condition. I enjoyed them, but had little to compare them to. It certainly helped reading Sondra Marshak's contributions to "Star Trek Lives!" around the same time.

"The Galactic Whirlpool" was wonderful, again partly because I has so few other Trek reading experiences to compare it to. "Starlog" magazine had promoted the novel with an advance excerpt. I was hooked!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 03:37 PM   #17
E-DUB
Captain

I kind of dug "Spock: Messiah". I note no one has mentioned "Entropy Effect". Not sure of publication dates and all that, but if it qualifies as "Bantam", it gets my vote as one of, if not the, best.

I also misread the thread title as "Batman" at first, but I think the earlier poster was pulling our collective leg.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

The Entropy Effect was the first original novel published by Pocket. In fact, its publication had to be delayed until Bantam had finished publishing the remaining novels under its contract, which was why there was a 2-year gap between Pocket's publication of the ST:TMP novelization and its publication of The Entropy Effect.

I was going to link to Curt Danheuser's page about the Bantam novels, but I get a 404 Not Found. Is that site defunct?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I was going to link to Curt Danheuser's page about the Bantam novels, but I get a 404 Not Found. Is that site defunct?
Do you mean this one: http://www.danhausertrek.com/Novels/Main_x.html
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Thanks. I've updated my bookmarks.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 09:29 PM   #21
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I still have a very soft spot for Gordon Eklund's two entries, The Starless World and Devil World.
Old June 8 2014, 12:48 AM   #22
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I note no one has mentioned "Entropy Effect". Not sure of publication dates and all that, but if it qualifies as "Bantam".
"The Entropy Effect" was a wonderful novel to kick off Pocket's original Trek fiction line, which continues to this day. It created a lot of fan controversy when promoted with an extract in "Starlog" magazine because fans were outraged that someone would dare to kill off Kirk, even when reassured that the story occurred before the events of "The Motion Picture".

To do a quick check, type the title of a book plus the descriptor "Memory Beta" and you'll get a page dedicated to each novel.
eg. http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Entropy_Effect
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:47 PM   #23
E-DUB
Captain

One aspect of "Death's Angel" that I recall was the Croc-alien's interest in Sherlock Holmes. Kind of presages Data's later behavior in early TNG.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 10:03 PM   #24
publiusr
Rear Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
I agree with Chrstopher about The Galactic Whirlpool. Gerrold at his quirky best and a darned good Star Trek story, too. Have always enjoyed the bit about the would-be galactic emporer and his very short reign.
You could have tied The Billion Year Voyage to that--with something done to the black hole duo.. Shades of Kapp
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...e-chaos-weapon
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 07:53 AM   #25
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Spock Messiah! is nothing short of awesome. It is lurid. It is trashy. When you're nine years old and you think Barsoom is the place you want most to visit in all the universe, this is the Star Trek novel you want. I love it unreservedly.
^This.
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:01 PM   #26
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

I remember picking up some of the Bantam novels when I was early in my teens and not initially understanding why the covers looked so different from the Pocket novels I already had.

Over time I've read them all except for Spock: Messiah!. None of them are particularly good, especially in relation to what Pocket has built over time (there are some horrible Pocket entries as well). But at the time I initially read them, they were fascinating to me, especially in how my mind conjured this entirely different Star Trek universe that was wholly incompatible with what I had seen on-screen (most of TOS and the first three movies) to fit these books into.

However, many of them were enjoyable, even though not great. My two favorites of the line were Vulcan! and Death's Angel, the latter having the distinction of being the first novel I ever read cover to cover in one sitting—a cold, blustery evening when I lived in Berlin in the mid-80s. I sat next to a radiator under a blanket and read and read.

But, even though those two are my favorites, they all have their charms and individual quirkiness.
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 09:52 PM   #27
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Spock Messiah! is nothing short of awesome. It is lurid. It is trashy. When you're nine years old and you think Barsoom is the place you want most to visit in all the universe, this is the Star Trek novel you want. I love it unreservedly.
I remember enjoying it a lot, but being completely perplexed at the description of a red-haired Scotty.

Aside from James Blish's adaptations, which IMO are gems that became overlooked with the advent of the VCR, Haldeman's Planet of Judgement and the New Voyages collections were tops. Following up, The Galactic Whirlpool.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 01:13 AM   #28
dstyer
Lieutenant

Just re-found my copy of The New Voyages and have to say that I still get a thrill reading the story "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited."
dstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 05:52 PM   #29
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Actually, anybody who read Gerrold's two nonfiction works for Ballantine (The World of Star Trek and The Trouble with Tribbles) instantly recognized exactly what The Galactic Whirlpool is: it's a reworking of the very first spec outline he pitched to Star Trek, originally titled "Tomorrow Was Yesterday," with the title plot element added in order to provide the story with some much-needed jeopardy.

As to The Starless World, World Without End, the ever-popular Devil World, and Perry's Planet, I've always regarded them as the least-worthwhile of the Bantam ST novels, all of them variations on the "Kirk & Co. get themselves in trouble with an alien civilization that turns out to be entirely different from what it seems" cliche.

I liked Death's Angel, with its comic-relief ambassador names and its "Special Security Division" (which anticipates Section 31, among other things). And Trek to Madworld was a comic romp of the sort we wouldn't see again until How Much for Just the Planet.

I'd say that the two "Phoenix" books' biggest fault wasn't the K/S elements, but the fact that they were so damned confusing.

All in all, I find the best of the Bantam novels to be better than a lot of the first dozen or so Pocket novels.

And I've never gotten rid of a Star Trek novel unless I somehow acquired two of the same title.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 02:14 AM   #30
Steve Roby
Commodore

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Actually, anybody who read Gerrold's two nonfiction works for Ballantine (The World of Star Trek and The Trouble with Tribbles) instantly recognized exactly what The Galactic Whirlpool is: it's a reworking of the very first spec outline he pitched to Star Trek, originally titled "Tomorrow Was Yesterday," with the title plot element added in order to provide the story with some much-needed jeopardy.
My regrettably moribund website has an old feature article on Gerrold's Trek stuff. On Galactic Whirlpool:

There are no brilliant classics in the Bantam line, but they're entertaining in their own ways. No one had really decided what a Star Trek novel was yet, and there was nothing more than TOS and TAS to work with. They're historically interesting, just like Mack Reynolds's Mission to Horatius.

Back in the 70s I liked Spock, Messiah for having one or two interesting ideas and for showing signs of having read the Star Fleet Technical Manual; the two Star Trek: The New Voyages books for presenting a variety of story styles; Joe Haldeman's first book for doing some good flashback stuff for McCoy; Gordon Eklund's Starless World for introducing the Dyson Sphere concept to the Star Trek universe; and Gerrold's Galactic Whirlpool because the opportunity meant something to Gerrold and he ran with it, if not always successfully (see the spoiler coded stuff for some commentary).

I won't argue that they're essential in a literary sense, but I tend to consider them essential as a part of Trek literary history -- that is, if you're seriously interested in Star Trek books, you should be familiar with these ones.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote