Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 5 2014, 11:27 PM   #76
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Your ideal New Trek Series

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
on the most boring planet in the federation
San Fransisco could be depicted as a very cosmopolitan city with a high percentage of numerous alien species living there. The cadets and instructors would have friends in the city.
Boring as in nothing happens there, do you honestly think people give two s@#ts about future humanity, or how the federation is run, or what 23rd or 24th century Earth is like?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 12:16 AM   #77
urbandefault
Captain

Star Trek 90210? No thanks.

I wouldn't mind a TOS-era prime timeline show, set on another of the 12 Connies. P2 and STC have shown that the sets and costumes can look great in HD. It could even be in the TOS-movie era, with a refit. That would be cool, too. With the right team it could recapture the fun and adventure of TOS.

It could be a huge success.
Old June 6 2014, 05:46 AM   #78
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

do you honestly think people give two s@#ts about future humanity, or how the federation is run, or what 23rd or 24th century Earth is like?
If it's well written, yes of course.

Look at all the successful drama shows today that have no space battles. Look at all the fantasy shows without space battles.

Seriously, what what on your wish list has a chance?

Old June 6 2014, 08:43 AM   #79
MacLeod
Admiral

Could a show in the vien of say The West Wing work for Star Trek possibly but in the end it all comes down to how well written it was.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 08:52 AM   #80
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

You're idea is to follow a bunch of kids
The cadets would be late teens through early/mid-twenties. And not all the characters would to be cadets. There would also be the instructors at the Academy, some would be Starfleet officers, others civilians.
Some could be older as well, not everyone will decide to become a Starfleeter in their teens. It'd be interesting to have a character in their late 20s or early 30s have a life changing event that made them enroll, so they have considerably more experience to draw upon. Or a Rhaandarite character, who are androgynous and only reach maturity at 150 Earth years old.

If done right from the beginning, I am all for an Academy-based series, one which focuses on the character dynamics and not space battles or babes in catsuits.
Old June 6 2014, 12:27 PM   #81
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

So not Star Trek.
Which is what people said about DS9 prior to it's premiere.
...and for some, many aspects of DS9 remain extremely un-Star Trek like after the entire run.

Each to their own of course, but for me, magic wizard "Prophet"/"Pah-wraith" showdowns, Ferengi caterwauling "MOOOOOGIIII", a horrible series long fascination with religion and "prophet worship", a drawn out tedious war, "Orb visions" etc., has nothing to do with Star Trek and reduced my enjoyment of the show.

Yes, I'm sure you could highlight similar tropes that appear in the other Trek series, but they weren't presented in the same "mystical" and extended way DS9 seemed to favour.
Old June 6 2014, 12:32 PM   #82
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Look at all the successful drama shows today that have no space battles. Look at all the fantasy shows without space battles.
None of which are part of a franchise that is primarily set in space.

Hence the name Star Trek, not Earth Trek.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 04:57 AM   #83
RavenWolf
Ensign

Star Trek: CSI

Set on a spaceship crime lab. Now that would be some interesting forensics!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 07:02 AM   #84
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

RavenWolf wrote: View Post

I really don't see the appeal, when a tricorder can do most of the scans and analyses needed, then there really isn't much need for a full crime lab.
Old June 7 2014, 09:19 AM   #85
RavenWolf
Ensign

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post

I really don't see the appeal, when a tricorder can do most of the scans and analyses needed, then there really isn't much need for a full crime lab.
Except that if all they needed to do was to wave a tricorder around episodes like TNG's Aquiel, Minds Eye and Drumhead (just to name a few) would have been a lot shorter.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Forensic_team

I don't know I thought it was a fun idea, or maybe I just want to see gooey alien corpses. LOL the idea originally occurred to me well watching an episode of Bones.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 09:22 AM   #86
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I want my HBO Trek before I die.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 12:31 PM   #87
2takesfrakes
Commodore

None of which are part of a franchise that is primarily set in space.

Hence the name Star Trek, not Earth Trek.
I was never a fan of the "StarFleet Academy" concept, but now that I think on it, if they are not going to reboot the original series crew again for the next series, this has probably the best shot of being a success. For one thing, the main focus of the show is on youth, which makes a lot of sense to me. Naturally, the seasoned faculty, staff and guest speakers are going to be older, so there's that mix going. As far as the TREK is concerned, that's what these students are preparing for. It's their aim ... their goal. So the STAR TREK moniker on an "Academy" series is very apt, indeed.

Besides, part of their training can always be on a starbase, or on a vessel, of some kind. The opportunities here for friendships, romances and various kinds of loss with a show of this type are vast. Vast. AND the connection with the movies is right there. It's not some odd concept that came out of nowhere. And the last time we were there, it was a great setting for some fun and drama. I do find myself warming to this idea. And the ability to dump cast members who are a problem or characters that don't work, or just to shake things up can still add to the pot, without being disruptive to the daily format. So you go right ahead and hope for this new series, T'Girl. You may even get your wish ...
Old June 7 2014, 11:29 PM   #88
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Remove the word "crime," and substitute the word "science."

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Thing is, on CSI, or NCIS and other such shows, collecting and analyzing the physical evidence is only the beginning. Taking that and assembling what actually happen is the real show.

It would be the same with a Star Trek show that investigated mysteries, strange occurrences, new worlds, new civilizations ... and yes maybe a crime from time to time.

The tricorders and scanners only take the mission so far, it's people who put the pieces of the puzzle together. That who the show would center on. Not the machines.

Old June 8 2014, 10:25 PM   #89
MacLeod
Admiral

I'm not sure if a ST: CSI would have legs, sure it might work for a season. But once again execution is everything.

Sure Sci-Fi based shows can be mainstream and TNG was at it's peak, and as new Sci-Fi shows are always being made aren't the studios looking for the next big Sci-Fi show?

But haven't we had several procedural Sci-Fi based shows that haven't faried well over recent years, why would we expect a ST based one to fair any better?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 09:02 AM   #90
O'Dib
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Starfleet Academy. Smallville meets Star Trek, with Kirk, Spock and friends.
There was an SFA comic book I stumbled upon once. TNG era I believe. First storyline dealt with drugs on campus. But like, alien gland ones. For better test scores.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a series if it moved the academy offworld (cause SanFran got buggered in XII right?), and, similar to the extreme circumstances surrounding XI, required recruits be posted to various ships. We could have a close knit group of friends go through a lot of messed up shit when there isn't just one hero ship. They'd meet back and hang out in space-dock. Some would never return though. But mostly they'd be kids showing a lot of promise, so they could get picked for away teams pretty much always.

Oh, and as cliche as the trope is by now, can one of them be a defrosted hewmon primitive from the 21st century?