Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 6 2014, 04:30 AM   #3781
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine
Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I had noticed the reach-back to Hickman and Weaver's work re: "spear and shield" sister organizations.

And I note that mainland China's not the first country in 616-ville to do this stuff. Canada's Department H (from whence came Alpha Flight), the Soviet-era Leviathan organization, and so on being established precedents in continuity.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 04:34 AM   #3782
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I do think SPEAR's official claim of 150,000 personnel on the payroll, "sixteen airships" (which I suspect are not unlike the Circle), and only having started up in the wake of Infinity are somewhat dubious. After all, we're talking about a time span of probably less than a year in the characters' lives for editorial purposes.

They could make a legitimate case for having had this in the works much further back in continuity. Say, back when word got out about Namor's first modern invasion of NYC in Fantastic Four?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 05:23 AM   #3783
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

S.H.I.E.L.D. is not always an American institution... I think it currently is-ish, "Nick Fury said #### the UN, their money is not worth their shitty attitude" probably 10 years back in in a Garth Ennis' Punisher, and no one has reversed that to any real degree. S.H.I.E.L.D. answers to the US President, not the UN Security Council.

But when S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't American, then even America needs an answer to S.H.I.E.L.D..

What I think the pitchman (terrible super hero name) in Avengers World said is that Spear had 150,000 "noncovert" operatives. Which is soldiers anylists, techs and beuracrats... But it's a fricking spy organization. A conservative estimate would be to quadruple that figure to acount for their covert operatives, but a generous guess would be that one out of three Chinese Nationals anywhere in the globe is accepting money from these people on some level just to listen and repeat... Of course if it's just a question of worshipping the Yen, or a bag of uncut diamonds now and then, then it's really racist to think that only the Chinese would be in the service of Spear... One in three people of any nationality are working for Spear, but of those Spear Agents, at least one in four of them are reporting back to at least one other government identical secrets so they can be paid 5 times for the same useless twaddle and autocoroborate in the proccess.

This is how you make a triple agent.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 09:23 AM   #3784
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You should all think about reading Magneto.

He's wandering the American heartland murdering people who might be secret Sentinels.

It's awesome.

Old June 8 2014, 09:54 AM   #3785
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^It's one of the books I'd be reading if I had more disposable income for comics.
Old June 8 2014, 11:39 AM   #3786
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If you buy comics, you're allowed to hang out and read some of the new stuff on the shelves.

I remember walking into the primary comic shop that was having money problems because the new owner, the old owners son, was an alcoholic gambler, and all the new release books had been sealed in mylar plastic bags.

I think they lost a lot of money that week, since that's about how long they lasted doing that.

Old June 9 2014, 05:36 PM   #3787
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^It's one of the books I'd be reading if I had more disposable income for comics.
Ditto.
Decided to Trade wait the Magneto book. I'm looking forward to the first Invaders Trade as well. That should be forthcoming. Anyone read the Shang Chi book yet or Iron Fist? Budget constraints on those being floppy buys as well.

I did drop She-Hulk though. The opening arc about Doom's son seeking political asylum with art I found unappealing for 4 issues was all I could stomach. I rarely stop before an arc is done but doing it this time. Silver Surfer is walking a tight rope as again it's got a questionable hook with this new female that not only is the SS supposed to instantly care about but us as well.

I'm indifferent on the All New Ghost Rider. I like we finally got something as far as background in issue #3 on this demon that's in the car buy why can it bestow power to the kid(sad, i can't recall his name right now). Does it have ties to Zarathos, is it something else, why is it usurping another demons "gig". Still need some explaining, especially if it's not an avenging angel as was asked.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 07:55 PM   #3788
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Kaare Andrews "Iron Fist: The Living Weapon" seems to be getting good reviews from what I've seen. I've debated about picking it up.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 08:03 PM   #3789
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Invaders is awful, I don't like the art on Iron Fist of Surfer, so I can't even look at the words, Ghostrider on four wheels left me cold, especially now that the idea of Nick Fury as a Ghost Rider with a Ghost Hellicarrier is actually a possibility,

Old June 9 2014, 08:15 PM   #3790
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

James Robinson hasn't written anything good that isn't Starman related since his first departure from DC. The traditional explanation that editor Archie Goodwin was instrumental in Starman and Golden Age becomes obvious with each passing day. Pity DC cancelled the Shade comic, that was the only good thing he has written in these ten years aside from maybe the LXG movie.
Old June 9 2014, 08:51 PM   #3791
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Invaders is awesome. so is All New Ghost Rider. i don't care too much for the current Iron Fist comic. She Hulk is...ok. i may drop it eventually.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 10:30 PM   #3792
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I love the Alldred's art on "Silver Surfer". I think it compliments Slott's writing and the tone of the book perfectly.

Old June 9 2014, 10:40 PM   #3793
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Aldred's art is better suited for Surfer and I can deal but it was a deal breaker on FF.
I got the first issue free about 5-7mo after if first came out at Free Comic Book Day '13 cause my LCS had a crap ton for some reason(I'm guessing to obtain Variants for some customers) and he just gave them away. I might've stuck around to figure out the convoluted family structure with those aliens and what have you but She Hulk looked horrid. Scott Lang looked bad, normal landscapes didn't impress me. Aldred just not my overall cup of tea.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 11:14 PM   #3794
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I loved his art on Future Foundation...it was out of place on Fantastic Four, but it worked for FF.

Old June 9 2014, 11:45 PM   #3795
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Too bad SS seems to be trying to ripoff Dr. Who.