Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 6 2014, 02:18 AM   #46
Ensign

Re: BLURAY hype

I suspect the bluray stuff is hype, when we're talking about releasing old shows that came out in the SD days. Aren't old TV shows just upscaled to HD with fancy filters? That's not the same as true HD content. But if you are a completionist fan of ST, bluray is for you. I'm sticking to watching it on Netflix for now. You don't have to fiddle with discs this way, and any episode is a few clicks away.
8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 02:29 AM   #47
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

8472 wrote: View Post
I suspect the bluray stuff is hype, when we're talking about releasing old shows that came out in the SD days. Aren't old TV shows just upscaled to HD with fancy filters? That's not the same as true HD content. But if you are a completionist fan of ST, bluray is for you.
You simply have no clue as to what you are talking about.
Old June 6 2014, 03:42 AM   #48
feek61
Captain

I suspect the bluray stuff is hype, when we're talking about releasing old shows that came out in the SD days. Aren't old TV shows just upscaled to HD with fancy filters? That's not the same as true HD content. But if you are a completionist fan of ST, bluray is for you. I'm sticking to watching it on Netflix for now. You don't have to fiddle with discs this way, and any episode is a few clicks away.
Star Trek was shot on film which still has superior resolution to the current Blu-Ray and the forth-coming 4K. The film is scanned frame-by-frame so it is not at all upscaled; in fact its down-scaled for Blu-ray since the film resolution is far superior. Even so the resolution is so far superior to DVD; that for me it's a no-brainer; go with Blu-ray. The show looks absolutely fabulous like you have never seen it before.

I hope that clarifies.
Old June 6 2014, 04:40 AM   #49
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
feek61 wrote: View Post
To watch a DVD on a 50+ HDTV verses a Blu-Ray on the same; there is a world of difference.
This. There is a big difference from DVD to Blu-ray. That's as far as I'll go, though. I don't see 4K being in my future.
Thirded. I own a Blu-Ray player just to get great picture quality and sound quality (ass well as extras which are no longer on standard DVD sets), even though all I have is a standard LCD screen. I want to buy the show on Blu-Ray, and eventually get a HDTV set to see the show on.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 01:28 AM   #50
Ensign

BillJ wrote: View Post
I suspect the bluray stuff is hype, when we're talking about releasing old shows that came out in the SD days. Aren't old TV shows just upscaled to HD with fancy filters? That's not the same as true HD content. But if you are a completionist fan of ST, bluray is for you.
You simply have no clue as to what you are talking about.
And you fail to explain what was wrong about it, so it stands.
Old June 7 2014, 01:32 AM   #51
Ensign

Star Trek was shot on film which still has superior resolution to the current Blu-Ray and the forth-coming 4K. The film is scanned frame-by-frame so it is not at all upscaled; in fact its down-scaled for Blu-ray since the film resolution is far superior. Even so the resolution is so far superior to DVD; that for me it's a no-brainer; go with Blu-ray. The show looks absolutely fabulous like you have never seen it before.

I hope that clarifies.
Where is your source for the claims that the Star Trek series were all shot on film? And even if that were true, analog film has no digital resolution, so you're wrong, either way. Films will look better on bluray because you can see the film grain with more detail, but not TV series shot on tape. But even something shot on 1080p digital will look better than anything shot on film.
Old June 7 2014, 01:57 AM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

Where is your source for the claims that the Star Trek series were all shot on film? And even if that were true, analog film has no digital resolution, so you're wrong, either way. Films will look better on bluray because you can see the film grain with more detail, but not TV series shot on tape.
Star Trek, shot on film, edited and completed on film.
*The Next Generation, shot on film, edited and completed on video tape.
Deep Space Nine, shot on film, edited and completed on video tape.
Voyager, shot on film, edited and completed on video tape.
Enterprise, some shot on film, some shot with HD cameras.

*CBS went back to the original film negatives and completed the show at 1080p. Trekcore.com has extensive material concerning this project.

But even something shot on 1080p digital will look better than anything shot on film.
Google is your friend. There are tons of resources out there that explains why you are wrong.
Old June 7 2014, 02:18 AM   #53
Ensign

Of course Enterprise is the exception.

edited and completed on video tape.
And there we go. That's the answer we're looking for.

Google is your friend. There are tons of resources out there that explains why you are wrong.
Google says digital is better than film.
Old June 7 2014, 02:19 AM   #54
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

Where is your source for the claims that the Star Trek series were all shot on film?
Wow. Seriously? I've got to go with BillJ on this one.

As far as blu ray being "hype", it is now a standard and has been for a couple of years. I think we are way beyond the "hype".
Old June 7 2014, 02:31 AM   #55
Ensign

Maab of the Ten Tribes wrote: View Post
Well, you're going with the idea that content edited on videotape can be bluray HD.

As far as blu ray being "hype", it is now a standard and has been for a couple of years. I think we are way beyond the "hype".
It's hype mostly because the technology is advancing so quickly that any optical media standard seems obsolete at this point. Few years from now they'll start selling the new UltraHD Super Dooper re-releases on new discs, and all the previous ones are supposed to be old hat. Just milking more money out of people. With any luck optical media will go extinct, instead.
Old June 7 2014, 02:32 AM   #56
BillJ
Admiral

Best to allow the ignorant remain ignorant. Have a great day!
Old June 7 2014, 05:09 AM   #57
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

edited and completed on video tape.
And there we go. That's the answer we're looking for.
Yeah? And...what? It was originally edited on video tape. That's no secret. You know what else isn't a secret? That the original film negatives were pulled and the footage from each episode has been scanned digitally and reedited in HD for the purposes of being presented on Blu-ray. They never touched the original edited episodes made for broadcast 20 or so years ago.

It seems like you're trying really hard to be "right" about this by purposely ignoring facts.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 08:22 AM   #58
MacLeod
Admiral

Maab of the Ten Tribes wrote: View Post
Well, you're going with the idea that content edited on videotape can be bluray HD.

As far as blu ray being "hype", is now a standard and has been for a couple of years. I think we are way beyond the "hype".
It's hype mostly because the technology is advancing so quickly that any optical media standard seems obsolete at this point. Few years from now they'll start selling the new UltraHD Super Dooper re-releases on new discs, and all the previous ones are supposed to be old hat. Just milking more money out of people. With any luck optical media will go extinct, instead.
Just because technology keeps advancing doesn't mean that blu-ray is hype. DVD was superior to VHS does that mean DVD was hype?

Yes one day UHD will no doubt supplant HD, just as that might one day be replaced.

As for milking more money out of people, people have a choice they can either purchase it or not. As for blu-ray players they'll happily play DVD and upsacle it a bit, many people don't double dip and re-purchase a blu-ray of a DVD that they already own or if they do it's only a few films.

Optical media has several advantages over On Demand services.

1.>You don't require an Internet service

It might be shocking to hear but not everyone has the internet by restricting to On Demand services you lose customers. Not very good for buisness

2.>Even if you have Interent you don't require a fast connection

It might be shocking to hear but some people can barely stream SD never mind HD. See above loss of potential customers

3.>Might be rare that it occurs but with a physical disc you are not subject to outages by your ISP, On Demand provider.

4.>There is the potential that different studios might provide content as exclusives to a particular On Demand provider, so you might have to pay for multiple On Demand providers
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 09:21 AM   #59
feek61
Captain

I hope that clarifies.
Where is your source for the claims that the Star Trek series were all shot on film? And even if that were true, analog film has no digital resolution, so you're wrong, either way. Films will look better on bluray because you can see the film grain with more detail, but not TV series shot on tape. But even something shot on 1080p digital will look better than anything shot on film.

Wow!! Really? There is no question that Star Trek WAS shot on film and that information is readily available.
Sometimes it is best to do a little research before you start posting. Just a little advice.

Last edited by feek61; June 7 2014 at 02:16 PM.
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 10:52 AM   #60
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Calling Blu-ray "hype" is at least 5 years behind the times. I have a shelf of 50 HD-DVDs -- way to back the wrong format just because I detest region coding with a passion. I'll probably end up biting the bullet and buying the required tech to watch 4K UHD or whatever it's branded as. I itch to own some classic films in the best format available and that includes the Star Trek movies -- sad first-world consumer that I am.
Asbo Zaprudder is online now   Reply With Quote