Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old June 5 2014, 11:45 PM   #16
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: The rise of the 4K TV(updated)

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Not sure if there is the demand for 4K, at this time. Not opposed to it, but I see no reason at this time to replace my HD TV as it serves my needs.
Exactly. Most people have just upgraded to the 1080p HD sets. Now suddenly there's 4K, and people are supposed to do it again so soon? That's why I laugh about the curved TVs which are being pushed now.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 11:59 PM   #17
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

It seems likely that, as happened with 480i TVs, all TVs will simply become 4K and manufacturers will just stop making 1080p TVs. We are no doubt several years off from that, but it seems the likely outcome.

On the plus side, this means PC monitor resolutions will rebound from what is basically a dark age of shitty resolutions right now.
Old June 6 2014, 12:25 AM   #18
sojourner
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
That's why I laugh about the curved TVs which are being pushed now.
Yeah, I don't get the curved screen thing. Why would I want a tv with a purposely reduced viewing angle?
Old June 6 2014, 07:52 PM   #19
The Creeper
Commodore

Curved? I had to look that up.

Wrap around gaming experience.

Do you have a curved wall in need of a TV?

Some imgs following use graphics to illustrate a visual advantage, but I think it's all blowing smoke.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...rnjfuiCnJypOJg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...TEUTe9CYM8BYgW

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...MUUIvZsk41gPAw

Oh wait, here's something with information attached.

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration...sung-curved-tv

I don't know, seems too gimmicky to me.

As for the topic, great. My current TV is on its second power source. By the time it fries again I should be ready for a new one all together and if 4k's are that inexpensive by then, well, why not.
Old June 6 2014, 08:27 PM   #20
Metryq
Captain

Por que TV?

Keeper, some of the "benefits" listed in that last article you linked sound specious, like some of the light slipping past you with flat screens. As for the whole "sweet spot" thing, I'd say that "most" people do not sit so close to a screen that it fills their entire field of view—based on an informal analysis of movie audiences over the years. (Almost no one would sit in that forward section of the cinema, but that's back when cinema screens were actually BIG. Today's multiplexes take the theater I saw STAR WARS in and cut it into four rooms, sometimes literally, as one can see the bizarre angling of the chairs.)

As for the immersed gamer, there's Oculus Rift and other VR visors. No doubt much cheaper and more effective than a 6-meter wrap-around TV.

If you want to know where OLED will really take off, I think it's in clothing. No more static T-shirt patterns. People will plug in their smartphones and run episodes of STAR TREK, or something like that.
Old June 6 2014, 08:54 PM   #21
The Creeper
Commodore

I agree. Metryq. That's why I used terms like, 'blowing smoke and 'gimmicky'.

I also agree with you about OLED in clothing as being the coming new frontier. Moving, walking billboards everywhere, what's not to like? All my OLED clothing will be broadcasting Trek content!
Old June 6 2014, 10:13 PM   #22
Metryq
Captain

^ Do you suppose a person might get arrested for playing "nude" imagery on their OLED clothing? No doubt there will be "Predator" dynamic camouflage fans, too.
Old June 6 2014, 10:32 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
It seems likely that, as happened with 480i TVs, all TVs will simply become 4K and manufacturers will just stop making 1080p TVs. We are no doubt several years off from that, but it seems the likely outcome.

On the plus side, this means PC monitor resolutions will rebound from what is basically a dark age of shitty resolutions right now.
A would perhaps say a decade or so away before 4K TV's overtake current HD TV's.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 11:28 PM   #24
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

A would perhaps say a decade or so away before 4K TV's overtake current HD TV's.
A decade from now we may be looking at something much cooler than 4K.
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 11:32 PM   #25
sojourner
Admiral

Holographic tv is always 10 years away. Just like fusion power is always 20 years away.
Old June 7 2014, 07:54 AM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I love new technology but I think they are pushing this way too soon.

RAMA wrote:
Even this isnt a problem. There are sub $500 and sub $400 models that are less than 39" and from what I understand, the upscaling technology is excellet on most 4K tvs! Your 1080ps should look great. DVDs are another story, they really are obsolete anyway.
At 39", the human eye isn't going to be able to discern the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Possibly, but trust me I've seen more than one demo now, and at 50+ inches, it's very discernable.

It doesn't have to overtake it to be useful or popular.
Old June 7 2014, 08:05 AM   #27
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Even this isnt a problem. There are sub $500 and sub $400 models that are less than 39" and from what I understand, the upscaling technology is excellet on most 4K tvs! Your 1080ps should look great. DVDs are another story, they really are obsolete anyway.
I can't afford to replace my DVDs, and they're not obsolete, as they are still being sold in huge numbers. VHS? Yeah, that's obsolete, but DVDs are still current media.
I simply don't think there's yet enough 1080p media to justify another technological jump. No one broadcasts in 1080p, my cable company doesn't send a 1080p signal to my house. Video game consoles still have trouble outputting games in 1080p/60.

It has only been about ten-years since the switchover from NTSC. I doubt broadcasters and cable companies are prepared to pay up again for 4K broadcast equipment.

This feels a lot like 3D. TV manufacturers trying to drive new sales. But they don't have the programming or equipment to back it up. Heck, the Xbox One and PS4 both have just launched and will be around for six or seven years before the next consoles hit.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/tel...ox-one-1219888

Early talk about a 4K expansion of the brand's Video Unlimited streaming service has so far come to naught, and Netflix 4K is certainly not heading to either console.

The streaming VoD service, which will debut on 2014 4K UHD screens from Samsung, LG, Sony and Visio, requires a hardware HEVC h.265 decoder to work, something missing from both consoles.
This pretty much sums it up. It'll be several years before first 4k sources appear to get the full effect but even then the human eye won't notice a difference from 1080p to 4K.

Personally if i wanted to buy i'd go for a better screen technology like OLED to get a better picture. You will gain a far better picture quality with this new tech than just upping the resolution capability for which there is no source currently.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 08:23 AM   #28
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

sojourner wrote: View Post
That's why I laugh about the curved TVs which are being pushed now.
Yeah, I don't get the curved screen thing. Why would I want a tv with a purposely reduced viewing angle?
Yes, indeed. For home viewing purposes, it's just a gimmick. Now, if you own a large theatre, with a 50 ft screen, then sure, curve that puppy, but a home TV isn't going to curve enough to offer benefits, and will instead offer nothing more than viewing trouble.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 08:41 AM   #29
Relayer1
Commodore

Captrek wrote: View Post

Am I the only one who thought of a thirty something guy with a beard wearing a white dress and repeating 'Help me Obi Wan, you're our only hope' ?
Old June 7 2014, 08:02 PM   #30
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post

Am I the only one who thought of a thirty something guy with a beard wearing a white dress and repeating 'Help me Obi Wan, you're our only hope' ?
Of course you are, you ignoramus. The rest of us remember the quote correctly.

Not exactly what you were describing, but handy:

And, of course, TTIUW:

Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote