Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 4 2014, 08:53 PM   #16
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Re: Sorry NuTrek fans...

lol. "Do not actually kill the Gorn." "Correct."
Old June 4 2014, 09:02 PM   #17
Pasi Nurminen
Lieutenant Commander

It's quite spot on. All the "references" just remind me I could be watching a good movie instead. It's like seeing an ad for Boys Don't Cry during a TV airing of Avatar.
Pasi Nurminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 11:14 PM   #18
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
...but this is too funny not to share

http://youtu.be/6B22Uy7SBe4
It was okay. Honest Trailers have done better examples of that formula before; this one could have been both funnier and shorter. It was also posted in this forum by TrekToday more than nine months ago, so you're running a little behind.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Sorry NuTrek fans...
Oh, I doubt that. Really, I do.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 02:03 AM   #19
MakeshiftPython
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The video is amusing, but I think some are missing that it's an affectionate parody, as are the majority of Honest Trailers. That's what makes them fun.
Exactly. It's not like it's a hate video made by Devin Faraci. Loosen up, folks, it's all for fun.

Reminds me of how fans of THE MATRIX got so upset over this video thinking it was attacking the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGR4OMpMTQU Despite the fact that the info says it's the narrator's favorite film of all time. Does anyone have a favorite film of theirs that they can enjoy AND poke fun at?
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 03:38 AM   #20
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I don't hate the parody. I even find much of it amusing. I simply cannot take the idea that it's better than the actual movie with any degree of seriousness.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 03:45 AM   #21
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ovation wrote: View Post
I don't hate the parody. I even find much of it amusing. I simply cannot take the idea that it's better than the actual movie with any degree of seriousness.
Yeah, the "it's better than the actual movie..." statements are just so far off the mark, and seem more spiteful than honest. Still, the trailer parody was fun, like they usually are.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 03:53 AM   #22
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Yeah, the "it's better than the actual movie..." statements are just so far off the mark, and seem more spiteful than honest. Still, the trailer parody was fun, like they usually are.
I said it was better because to me, the parody was more enjoyable. Subjective opinion, 'k?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 04:08 AM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I said it was better because to me, the parody was more enjoyable. Subjective opinion, 'k?
I still don't believe you.
Old June 5 2014, 04:12 AM   #24
Timewalker

*shrug* Whatever.

Old June 5 2014, 04:13 AM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

*shrug* Whatever.
You really need to go and have a funny bone implant.
Old June 5 2014, 04:19 AM   #26
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I did not mention your name, neither did I implicitly refer to you specifically. It just seems that calling a parody movie trailer better than an actual film, especially when that film is critically and financially successful, just seems more spiteful than honest. You may feel differently, that's fine.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 04:32 AM   #27
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The video is amusing, but I think some are missing that it's an affectionate parody, as are the majority of Honest Trailers. That's what makes them fun.
Yup, by the way, please everyone pay attention to the following key phrases: Star Trek is awesome again (0:29) a new era of actually watchable Star Trek films (2:48)

If I remember well the making-off (you can find it on their channel), they made the trailer for the day of the film release, so I don't think they actually saw STID to do the parody. I'm a huge fan of Honest Trailer, so I can tell there's not really hostility toward NuTrek. It's not like second Star Wars trilogy.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 04:50 AM   #28
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'll admit it. I laughed at the Blingons thing.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 06:22 AM   #29
Timewalker

I did not mention your name, neither did I implicitly refer to you specifically. It just seems that calling a parody movie trailer better than an actual film, especially when that film is critically and financially successful, just seems more spiteful than honest. You may feel differently, that's fine.
The hell you weren't referring to my post; you quoted part of it word for word.

I don't give any portion of a rodent's anatomy if a movie is "critically and financially successful". If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't. I give my honest opinions, and your implying otherwise is uncalled for.

BillJ wrote: View Post
*shrug* Whatever.
You really need to go and have a funny bone implant.
Hey, I'm the one with the sense of humor here; I liked the parody. You, on the other hand, appear to think I should laugh because someone called me spiteful and dishonest.

Old June 5 2014, 10:28 AM   #30
martok2112
Captain

Easy folks, we're all going to have opinions.
I have a split opinion on it, and that's all. When I first watched the "Honest Trailer" a few months ago, I got a bit of a laugh out of it, but I also didn't exactly get the sense it was an affectionate parody....thus my remark about it seeming angry "fanboyish". If it was indeed an "affectionate parody" then my remark is off the mark.

But let's remember, folks, opinions are only that...opinions. They are not facts. (Only angry fanboys/girls delude themselves that their own opinions are matters of seemingly immutable fact.)
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote