Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 4 2014, 04:01 PM   #61
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Thanks all; this thread has been good for a few laughs during a slow morning at work.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 04:03 PM   #62
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I do have a lot of respect for the real Afrika Bambaataa. Mostly because of all he's done for hip-hop and music in general and helping kids stay out of gangs...but also because "Planet Rock" sampled from at least two songs by Kraftwerk.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 04:18 PM   #63
HIjol
Fleet Captain

...Could not agree more with the desire of many here to want a spirited, informed, give-and-take discussion on this Board, and within this Thread...too bad we are doing such a good job with each other, and there is nary a sign of the OP...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 04:50 PM   #64
Ethros
Vice Admiral

The OP seems the racist one to me. One should learn to be colour blind when it comes to Star Trek.

To quote Kyle Broflovski in the s4 South Park episode Chef Goes Nanners "but the colour of a person's skin doesn't matter."
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 05:24 PM   #65
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Ethros wrote: View Post
The OP seems the racist one to me. One should learn to be colour blind when it comes to Star Trek.

To quote Kyle Broflovski in the s4 South Park episode Chef Goes Nanners "but the colour of a person's skin doesn't matter."

Agreed.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 05:32 PM   #66
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

HIjol wrote: View Post
...Could not agree more with the desire of many here to want a spirited, informed, give-and-take discussion on this Board, and within this Thread...too bad we are doing such a good job with each other, and there is nary a sign of the OP...
The OP wasn't being serious or earnest, hence it did not receive a serious response for the most part and why he or she didn't return to argue the premise of the thread. We've had countless serious discussions about race/gender/ethnicity/religion/sexuality and Star Trek on this board before, so just because one is dismissed as the obvious gag that it is doesn't mean people don't treat those issues seriously and with respect under the right circumstances.

Ethros wrote: View Post
I know this wasn't your intent, and that you meant it positively as in everyone should be treated equally (and we should strive for that), so forgive me for using your post as a starting point, but while it makes a nice soundbite, being "color blind" doesn't actually solve anything or address the very real problem of racial inequality we face in the world today. It sweeps uncomfortable issues under the rug by pretending that race (artificial construct though it is) is not a major or even the dominant factor in the continuing interpersonal and institutional inequality and injustice faced by minorities around the world.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 05:38 PM   #67
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
And the opening scene in Kevin Smith's "Chasing Amy" featuring Hooper-X addresses this issue in a remarkable way (it's a must-see - and apparently was the inspiration for the OP and Locutus... )
Nothing gets by you, Bob.
You did a great job paraphrasing Hooper-X by putting it into a satirical Star Trek context ("skinhead" ), but I felt the urge to share Kevin Smith's little masterpiece with everyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The OP has presented food for thought, so I couldn't possibly find fault with that. But, then again, discussing Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C has become a forbidden topic in two sections of this forum, so I don't know anymore.
What could be a problem about discussing ship designs? I don't go to the art forums much, but what could be a problem with the subject?
The problem was that we had seen Andrew Probert’s original design for the Enterprise-C for four seasons as a golden sculpture in the conference lounge aboard the Enterprise-D but the different Rick Sternbach Enterprise-C as the actual VFX model in “Yesterday’s Enterprise”.

Being fed up with claims that only the Sternbach “C” is canon, I investigated the issue trying to prove that both are / can be canon, assuming that events in “Yesterday’s Enterprise” did not just take place in a changed timeline of our universe but instead a “parallel universe” (director David Carson!). Near the end of both threads, I was able to present Guinan’s and Sela’s statements from “Redemption II”, allowing indeed the conclusion of a parallel universe because their accounts did not match what had actually happened in “Yesterday’s Enterprise”.

Very early on it was obvious that my proposal had characteristics of a heresy, just by looking at the various comments of those who rejected the mere idea. It even got the point where the opposers actually had the audacity to ask the moderators to close the thread!

Why the TNG thread was closed is still beyond me. It had finally calmed down to the point where a decent and fair discussion had become possible.
The Fan Art thread (because a CGI video of Probert’s “C” had just popped up at the same time) was probably closed because it got off-topic (discussing Star Trek time travel scenarios) and some of the opposers got themselves into a fight.

To cut a long story short: While I would think that Star Trek fans in general are tolerant and open-minded, I think it’s fair to say that what transpired in those two threads suggests rather differently.

Back to the original topic of this thread I’d like to add this: Just because someone thinks to be a fan of Star Trek doesn’t automatically make him or her a tolerant and open-minded person.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 05:46 PM   #68
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Regarding the failure of the OP to return to the thread, keep in mind that the thread is less than 24 hours old. That being said, it does have the appearance of a hit-and-run, simply because it's the only post from the member and it's phrased in such an antagonistic manner.

Everyone should remember, however, that this isn't TNZ, and we can't take potshots at other posters. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just saying that "a word to the wise is sufficient".
Old June 4 2014, 05:53 PM   #69
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

And the opening scene in Kevin Smith's "Chasing Amy" featuring Hooper-X addresses this issue in a remarkable way (it's a must-see - and apparently was the inspiration for the OP and Locutus... )
Nothing gets by you, Bob.
You did a great job paraphrasing Hooper-X by putting it into a satirical Star Trek context ("skinhead" ), but I felt the urge to share Kevin Smith's little masterpiece with everyone who hasn't seen it yet.
That's fine. I just thought the roll-eyes after my name in your previous post meant that you didn't like that I used the parody in this instance. My apologies if that wasn't the case.
Old June 4 2014, 06:05 PM   #70
scotpens
Vice Admiral

(C-3PO acts a lot like an African American stereotype in early films and series)

Huh?? C-3PO talked and acted like a fussy English butler. You must be thinking of a different robot.
Old June 4 2014, 06:08 PM   #71
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

I know this wasn't your intent, and that you meant it positively as in everyone should be treated equally (and we should strive for that), so forgive me for using your post as a starting point, but while it makes a nice soundbite, being "color blind" doesn't actually solve anything or address the very real problem of racial inequality we face in the world today. It sweeps uncomfortable issues under the rug by pretending that race (artificial construct though it is) is not a major or even the dominant factor in the continuing interpersonal and institutional inequality and injustice faced by minorities around the world.
I don't think he meant it that way. He meant that you should be color-blind when dealing with anyone. You shouldn't factor in race at all when you speak to, do business with, or employ someone. I don't think he meant that you should ignore how races are treated in various parts of the world.
Old June 4 2014, 06:11 PM   #72
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
you should be color-blind when dealing with anyone. You shouldn't factor in race at all when you speak to, do business with, or employ someone.
That's harder than you think.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 06:15 PM   #73
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
I don't think he meant it that way. He meant that you should be color-blind when dealing with anyone. You shouldn't factor in race at all when you speak to, do business with, or employ someone. I don't think he meant that you should ignore how races are treated in various parts of the world.
Read my first sentence again.
Old June 4 2014, 06:16 PM   #74
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
(C-3PO acts a lot like an African American stereotype in early films and series)

Huh?? C-3PO talked and acted like a fussy English butler. You must be thinking of a different robot.
It's satire. OP wasn't serious. Or doesn't genuinely believe his claims.

Read my first sentence again.
I saw this, but thought you just meant that said that without thinking about it. I could say what he said meaning it the way you explained, but not have thought it fully through and noticing the racist slant.

I was implying that the poster had an entirely different meaning entirely.

I hope that makes some sense. My words are kind of convoluted, here.
Old June 4 2014, 06:23 PM   #75
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Plus or minus a likely apocryphal story about Nichelle Nichols and Martin Luther King -- what BigJake said.
At this point I really don't care if that MLK/Nichelle thing even happened. The point is she did get to play the part, and did it well. Let her embellish the retelling of it all she wants.
Nichelle's MLK story is like the prize fish someone claims they caught but you never see -- it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.