Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 4 2014, 11:41 AM   #31
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Haha, good one, almost fell for it.

Your mentioning Uhura almost set me off on a tirade at how ironically wrong you were.

Better be careful, though. I've discovered that outside of Reddit, internet-go'ers aren't as good at detecting Trolls.

I'm kind of surprised that trolling is allowed on this board, but, hey, I'm new.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 12:01 PM   #32
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Trolling? "A troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people."

If as Star Trek fans we no longer accept discussions about issues that should or could interest us, than the Star Trek community as a whole is in danger, IMHO

The OP has presented food for thought, so I couldn't possibly find fault with that. But, then again, discussing Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C has become a forbidden topic in two sections of this forum, so I don't know anymore.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 12:15 PM   #33
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

If as Star Trek fans we no longer accept discussions about issues that should or could interest us, than the Star Trek community as a whole is in danger, IMHO
Very true. It would be a dull place without good discussion, especially when Trek at its best brings those topics to the fore.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The OP has presented food for thought, so I couldn't possibly find fault with that. But, then again, discussing Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C has become a forbidden topic in two sections of this forum, so I don't know anymore.

Bob
What could be a problem about discussing ship designs? I don't go to the art forums much, but what could be a problem with the subject?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 12:19 PM   #34
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Oh come on, aside from the TNG episode Code of Honor I can't think of ANY instance in which Trek has been racist. Trek has always gone above and beyond when showing people of diversity holding respectable and important positions.

In TOS, not only was an important bridge officer black, but also a woman. That was UNHEARD of. Nichols tells the story of how MLK told her how important her role in Star Trek was, saying that it was the only TV he and his family watched as it showed a future where all sorts of different people could work together. TOS also was the first show to have an on-screen interracial kiss (between Kirk and Uhura).

It's obvious that OP is not serious or is doing this to incite a flame war, as he uses points that actually disprove his argument to back up his claims.
Old June 4 2014, 12:27 PM   #35
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

The glorified switchboard operator? 'I Spy' was a much better show so far as race was concerned in having a Black lead opposite Robert Culp. TNG forward wasn't much better. The show has often done controversial issues, but usually not till other shows have paved the way. Trek is a safe liberal show. It will wave the flag of progressiveness, but not till others have taken the hill.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old June 4 2014, 12:28 PM   #36
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
Better be careful, though. I've discovered that outside of Reddit, internet-go'ers aren't as good at detecting Trolls.

I'm kind of surprised that trolling is allowed on this board, but, hey, I'm new.
Be careful about making accusations of such here. The mods frown on that.
Old June 4 2014, 12:49 PM   #37
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post

Be careful about making accusations of such here. The mods frown on that.
I was not trying to say that this board isn't particularly good at detecting trolling, just that a lot of the internet is. I wasn't trying to level any accusations at the forum-goers here and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
Old June 4 2014, 12:56 PM   #38
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Afrika Bambaata wrote: View Post
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan – This is one of the most despicable and racist of the Star Trek films. An African Starfleet captain played by the late Paul Winfield is captured by an evil white man and controlled like house slave with an alien slug placed in his brain. Later, after failing his “master”, Winfield’s character kills himself in shame for failing to serve the commands of his white master.
By describing Khan Noonien Singh as a "evil white man" you're showing your true colours and your own racist beliefs.

Khan was a Sikh from the Republic of India who was fighting the continuing oppression and exploitation of his people by the white western powers and is as such a true hero of the people in the Eugenics Race War. And when he was awakened after 200 years of deep hibernation he continued his heroic fight against the supremacist James T. Kirk. Inserting that Ceti eel into Capt. Terrell's ear was nothing else than an act of liberation from the white master Kirk and not one of enslavement.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:08 PM   #39
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
By describing Khan Noonien Singh as a "evil white man" you're showing your true colours and your own racist beliefs.

Khan was a Sikh from the Republic of India who was fighting the continuing oppression and exploitation of his people by the white western powers and is as such a true hero of the people in the Eugenics Race War. And when he was awakened after 200 years of deep hibernation he continued his heroic fight against the supremacist James T. Kirk. Inserting that Ceti eel into Capt. Terrell's ear was nothing else than an act of liberation from the white master Kirk and not one of enslavement.
This one made my jaw drop, as well.

Ironically, the people who cast Cucumberpatch as Khan in STiD allegedly did so because thought that "demonizing anyone of color" would be in poor taste. Now, that's racism.
Old June 4 2014, 01:18 PM   #40
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

This one made my jaw drop, as well.
Damn, I though the spoof was getting across. Ah, never mind...
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:21 PM   #41
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I wasn't trying to level any accusations at the forum-goers here and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
It didn't offend me. I was only wanting to urge caution, because just last week someone asked another user 'Are you trolling me?" and a mod stepped in explaining just asking that could be interpreted as flaming.

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; June 4 2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: decided my use of the word warn was too extreme
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:39 PM   #42
EvilAgentCoop
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View EvilAgentCoop's Twitter Profile

That opening post...that's satire, right? Please tell me it's satire.
"How's Annie?"
EvilAgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:41 PM   #43
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Satire, that works for me.
Old June 4 2014, 01:44 PM   #44
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
Damn, I though the spoof was getting across. Ah, never mind...

I got your satire, but his classification of Khan as caucasian in addition to the Uhura comment really surprised me at first, before I realized he wasn't serious.

Melakon wrote: View Post
It didn't offend me. I was only wanting to urge caution, because just last week someone asked another user 'Are you trolling me?" and a mod stepped in explaining just asking that could be interpreted as flaming.
Oh, I thought you were talking about something else.

I mean, are people really taking OP seriously? Unless he is actually flame-baiting, then this is purely satire. However, given his follow-up comments, it would appear that he's trolling.

I'm not calling anyone a troll to insult them....I don't understand why that's even something to consider. A troll is simply a poster who makes loaded statements in an attempt to make someone explode with rage and get themselves banned. These accusations would naturally incite the anger of a lot of Trekkers as they defend the show which is known for it's progressive and forward thinking that tries to make social statements and further the rights of the oppressed (whether the oppressed be civil rights groups, LBGT, civilians under the rule of overreaching government, etc. etc).

The tone of the original comment is obviously over-the-top and most of the accusations are baseless, meaning that it is either total satire or an attempt to stir the pot.

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
I thought so, until OP defended it in a reply. Though that may have just been an extension of the satire.
Old June 4 2014, 01:55 PM   #45
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I was sort of surprised to find that Afrika Bambaata is a real person, so if the post is mimicking his style it's lost on me because I'd never heard of him before.