TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 4 2014, 12:58 AM   #31
NewHorizon
Captain

Re: BLURAY hype

Melakon wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
That's fair enough Melakon, I upgraded to DVD from VHS some 12 years ago and to blu-ray about 3 years ago.
It's just economics for me. My only income is disability, and that's about a third of what I made in 1990. I loved watching television for decades, but I can't pick up even local channels now.
Bluray players will play all of your old DVD's just fine though, so in terms of economics, you're only shelling out for the player and an adequate player can be bought for around 50 bucks. As an added bonus, most bluray players these days will do some form of upconversion so your old DVD's will look a little bit nicer....though not bluray quality obviously.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:04 AM   #32
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

It's not just a blu-ray player we're talking about here. All I have are old tube type television sets. The one I'm currently using, only because it has the larger screen, is a 19" built in 1992.

I could buy a new tv right now, since my money hit the bank over night. But after paying the rent, a personal loan, phone bill, and making a credit card payment, if I did buy a tv today, I wouldn't be eating for the rest of the month.
Old June 4 2014, 03:54 AM   #33
han solo
Ensign

laser disc or nothing
han solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 05:13 AM   #34
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

Hype? If there's any actual hype, I'd say it was well deserved.

The difference between TNG on DVD and Blu-ray is night and day to me; and that alone makes it well worth the purchase. As someone who purchased the DVD sets as they were first released (often at $100 a pop, young man with more disposable income then, but I should've learned that income should NOT be so easily disposed!), the Blu-rays are a relative bargain. Yes, Paramount has long held the tradition of being able to milk Trek fans on home video purchases, but it seems CBS is giving more bang for buck. I ended up selling my TNG DVDs, so I made my own "rebate" when it came to the Blu-ray purchases.

Besdies, even if you can't afford the sets now, they will go down in price, and eventually, you'll be able to enjoy them for "free" down the line (Amazon Prime Instant Video already has seasons of TNG in HD for streaming), and I can see cable TV picking these up eventually too. Watching TNG on Netflix, BBCAmerica of SyFy is almost painful once you've seen the beautiful job done on the high def sets.

"That being said..." I still have warm memories of tuning in to TNG on a ridiculous tube TV that while hooked up to cable, looked to be more at home with rabbit-ear antennas with tin foil on top. So I can't begrudge anyone who doesn't think the upgrade is worth a double dip or can't afford them.

I look forward to seeing a DS9 blu-ray announcement someday soon. Heck, I might even consider Voyager, my least favorite of the Trek shows, but I guess that really would be the completist in me...
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 05:19 AM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TNG HD started on BBC America tonight.
Old June 4 2014, 05:46 AM   #36
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
TNG HD started on BBC America tonight.
High Def Trek trickles down!
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 10:22 AM   #37
Robert Comsol
Commodore

It's not just a blu-ray player we're talking about here. All I have are old tube type television sets. The one I'm currently using, only because it has the larger screen, is a 19" built in 1992.
A general word on CRT Tube TV sets: They still have a couple of advantages over modern flat screens. Black will be solid black and not just some shade of grey, and color fidelity usually is better than with most flat screens (of course, the wear of the phospors over time will no longer yield the rich original colors but most older programs - not yet remastered in HD - usually still look better on CRT TV than on a flat screen, i.e. CRT TV hides deficiencies in the image sources that flat screens will brutally reveal).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 10:31 AM   #38
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Blurays do look better, but personally the difference is not great enough to get me to double-dip. I can see it on DVD, it looks fine that way, it's good enough for me.
Old June 4 2014, 10:59 AM   #39
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I did not give a crap, perfectly happy with dvd's. But then one day I was in jbhifi and there on a big beautiful new tv (mine is ancient and would kill you if it fell on you) they were playing Empire Strikes Back in bluray and I actually got tears in my eyes it was so beautiful.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 11:37 AM   #40
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ If I were able to show you EMPIRE on Blu-ray mastered from a 4K scan, with correct brightness levels (current setting deliberately to dark to hide still unfixed VFX traveling mattes) and the correct color spectrum (another serious issue), I'd believe those tears would start running down your cheeks.

Seriously, Star Wars on Blu-ray is unfortunately still far from being the optimal presentation and currently entirely relies on the increased HD resolution and picture Detail to make an impression.

I recently gave my old (Japanese) LaserDisc ("New Hope") a spin. The color spectrum was so vibrant and natural, I thought I was looking at a different film (okay, it also was the theatrical edition ).

Bob
Old June 4 2014, 11:43 AM   #41
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
That's exactly my reason as well, the eyesight. I was in a Sony Store looking at the 4K TVs. Yes, it was very good, but the difference between that and Blu-ray, IMHO, was negligible. I'm in my 50s now and my eyesight will only continue to get worse as the years fly by.
The difference between HD and 4K is actually quite large. The problem is, unless you have a 70" TV, you can't see it.

4K will be amazing if you have a mansion and a private theater. Not so much for your standard living room HDTV. Hell, most TV's refresh rate probably isn't high enough, either.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 12:15 AM   #42
Salinga
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
A general word on CRT Tube TV sets: They still have a couple of advantages over modern flat screens. Black will be solid black and not just some shade of grey, and color fidelity usually is better than with most flat screens (of course, the wear of the phospors over time will no longer yield the rich original colors but most older programs - not yet remastered in HD - usually still look better on CRT TV than on a flat screen, i.e. CRT TV hides deficiencies in the image sources that flat screens will brutally reveal).
That all only goes for TFT screens. I use a plasma flatscreen from Panasonic because I switched from a very good tube and plasma is the best compromise between tube and flat screen: It has the same solid blacks (because a black plasma pixel is inactive like on a tube and not just blocks the light like with a TFT). It has almost the same reaction time like a tube, so watching sports programmes is not much of a problem - the details on green grass during camera pans are visible. And it also hides deficiencies, because the plasma picture has a slight grain that dithers the image slightly (without loosing any sharp edges).

The only disadvantages of plasma: It uses up more energy and you have to avoid static images since otherwise the pixels burn in (like station logos). Fortunatly plasmas offers options to prevent that (like switchting off the screen and have sound only, if you run it in the background or a scrolling white border to smoothen out burned in images).

Oh, and the plasma image flickers a little, because the pixels light up by fire them up. But if you come from a tube, you wont have a problem with it, because you are already used to the flickering.

Here is one scene of ENT on the Plasma from BluRay:

http://i.imgur.com/Ng6BNxh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GGOOo0j.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/vg7yI

Last edited by Salinga; June 5 2014 at 12:40 AM.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 09:30 AM   #43
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

If increased clarity was a positive no matter how clear you go, 48 FPS would have become the standard after The Hobbit. At some point the gains from greater resolution will hit a point of diminishing returns hard.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 09:47 AM   #44
MacLeod
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Bob
Doesn't that depend on the type/age of the HD TV?

Black looks black on my HD TV, no hint of grey in it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 11:03 AM   #45
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Salinga wrote: View Post
That all only goes for TFT screens. I use a plasma flatscreen from Panasonic because I switched from a very good tube and plasma is the best compromise between tube and flat screen
It is the best compromise, indeed, but since Panasonic is now stopping production and most flat screens on the market are TFT, CRT TVs still have the upper hand in reproducing the best black levels.

The moment you switch off the lights and just look at the images on a flat screen will brutally reveal how "black" the blacks actually are (admittedly, I prefer to watch films in a home theatre enviironment so I don't get distracted from anything else in the room). It may not be an issue for most flat screen users watching with ambient daylight.

The opening scenes in "Master and Commander" are a good visual test to visualize how important solid black levels can be. On my DLP front projector it just looks "flat" (no depth because of insufficient black level reproduction) and my old Sony CRT front projector lacks capability to reveal HD resolution.

Bob