RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 391
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Dark Mirror.
Outstanding 23 50.00%
Above Average 17 36.96%
Average 4 8.70%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2014, 02:35 AM   #121
Tarheel
Lieutenant

View Tarheel's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Dark Mirror by Diane Duane Review Thread (Spoilers!)

E-DUB wrote: View Post
Compliance is voluntary
Haha. I like that
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 02:45 AM   #122
Christopher
Writer

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I once had the idea for a TV series that would have been kind of "Star Trek" crossed with "Sliders"...
I've had the thought that if Roddenberry had decided from the start to do a show about alternate histories rather than space travel, it would've been a much more sensible explanation for all the parallel Earth cultures they kept using. No need for Preservers or Hodgkins' Law or cultural contamination to explain the gangster planet or the Roman planet or the Nazi planet or whatever, just do Sliders a few decades early.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:14 AM   #123
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Sliders is desperately due a reboot. That show had SO much potential.

A Sliders Trek, on the other hand, I think would be far too niche and insider for anything more than a Myriad Universes story or fanfiction. Outside of the core fanbase, who really cares enough about subtle differences in Trek's future history? Certainly less than would a real-world set version.
Old May 16 2014, 10:16 PM   #124
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I liked Sliders up until the gimmicky one where they went to "Communist Earth" where the money was red.
Old May 16 2014, 11:07 PM   #125
Christopher
Writer

Stevil2001 wrote: View Post
I liked Sliders up until the gimmicky one where they went to "Communist Earth" where the money was red.
Um, that was part 2 of the pilot. Unless I'm forgetting a second communism-themed episode later.

Old May 17 2014, 07:45 PM   #126
E-DUB
Captain

I think that was a "whoosh".
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 05:32 AM   #127
CaptainJon
Captain

I voted Outstanding because I thought it was much better than Above Average. I think it's a really good book that I haven't read in a long time and will need to revisit. I think my only real complaint about Dark Mirror was that I found the climax a little underwhelming. I was hoping for Picard and his mirror self to go head-to-head in a more "clash of the bald titans". It didn't need to be all-out action but maybe a little more of them trying to outwit one another.
CaptainJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:26 AM   #128
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

I just recognized another, major, divergence between Dark Mirror and the current novelverse. Duane's novel is one of the last books to feature a native civilization at Alpha Centauri. (Dark Mirror's Terrans end up exterminating the Centaurans and taking their worlds, the first act of genocide against another species they commit.)
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 08:02 PM   #129
Enterprise1701
Captain

^Don't forget that Dark Mirror says that the Terran Empire conquered their entire Milky Way Galaxy. How does that make any sense? They're never said to have any quantum slipstream drive, coaxial warp drive, jaunt drive, transwarp conduits, subspace tunnels, or anything that would conveniently allow them transportation throughout the galaxy. And how could they conquer everyone in two completely unexplored quadrants in a matter of only one century?
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 08:49 PM   #130
E-DUB
Captain

It's admittedly been a while since I read it, but my recollection is that the Empire had conquered our section of the galaxy but lacked the capability to expand any further due to not having the tech to get to the really far away places fast enough to make conquest feasible. It would be like conquering North America but not having boats or planes to get you to Europe or Asia.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 10:33 PM   #131
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, my impression was more that they'd grown as large as it was feasible for an empire to get. It's not so much about travel distances -- after all, the worlds on the fringes of the empire would still have plenty of uncharted worlds next to them -- but more about the empire's lines of communication, supply, and administration being stretched to the breaking point by the sheer size of it. Although I haven't read it in a while either.