Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 22 2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Redfern
Commodore

The "Bride" of the "M'Ress Appreciation Thread"

Wha...?! Am I suggesting something about the Caitian comm' officer's personal life? Hmm, that would probably prove popular in some cicrles, but that might be more appropriate for this site's adult forum. Nah, this is merely a sequel to my earlier thread "Post your M'Ress Masterpieces". that thread seems to have been the victim of a general culling due to age and activity (or lack thereof). Fortunately, the art forum's moderator, Ptrope, stated he would permit me to start another. Keeping it more in the spirit of Trek, maybe I should have titled it, "The Appreciation Thread II: the Wrath of M'Ress".

Anyway, as before, the theme is simple. I invite fans to post their artwork relating to M'Ress or even Caitians in general. The material can be drawn, painted, sculpted, rendered, whatever. It can be dramatic, humorous, futuristic, contemporary, historic...well, you get the idea.

I'll start with a couple of pieces some of you have seen, but hopefully will be new to other people's eyes.

This was a portrait I made for a fan site providing some on-line fan novels focusing upon M'Ress. The background came for a Corel clip art disk, but the figure itself I drew from scratch. At the time when I did this, I did not have a decent photo editing suite like PaintShop or PhotoShop. I matted the figure onto the background by using, would you believe it, a 3D modeling and rendering program, TrueSpace.

This more recent effort demonstrates just how versatile the 3D meshes from www.daz3d.com can be. The base figure is an Anime inspired character named Aiko. Using a variety of morphs, props and textures, I was able to transform the Manga type figure into the anthropomorphic felinoid Caitian comm' officer. She even possesses elongated canines though you can't see them in this specific render.

Now, who'd like to share their art?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Q2UnME
Commodore

Re: The "Bride" of the "M'Ress Appreciation Thread"

Ahhh, Bill. Good to see you around these parts again. Saw that "little humor" number you did over at Ptrope's Remastered site. Pretty funny actually. Perhaps you could be persuaded to post the full blurb with "film" scene over here? Perhaps Ptrope will post his M'Ress too. Don't forget to post the M'Ress in slave girl outfit picture too. William Thesis (sp?) would be proud of that one.

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Redfern
Commodore

Q2UnME said: Perhaps you could be persuaded to post the full blurb with "film" scene over here?
My original intent was to tag that image and blurb to the existing thread. The only problem, the thread no longer exists. That's why I started this new one.

Q2UnME said: Don't forget to post the M'Ress in slave girl outfit picture too. William Thesis (sp?) would be proud of that one.

This one? Uhm, that's meant to be Caitian equivalent of a formal evening gown. I don't see her panting all day in the hot sun picking Kaferian apples in fancy garb like that.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 22 2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Q2UnME
Commodore

Hey Bill, borrowed this from your post. Hope I got it right. This was a little bit of humor over Bill's M'Ress being replaced by Ptrope's version. All ment in the spirit of fun...

Redfern wrote: (elsewhere; and very well)

Upon hearing the news, Kioki K'Tee is crushed.

"What?! Someone else is getting the part?! Let me guess, she's a 'friend' of the producer! No, you're right. I shouldn't just assume that. It's me, isn't it? they found out about those films I did, didn't they?

"Look; I was broke! Waiting tables wasn't enough to pay the rent! I didn't 'perform', if you know what I mean. They were just a few 'topless' scenes. Besides, my fur hides 'everything'.

"You're right; you're right. They'll be other auditions. I understand they want to team the Doctor with Novice Hame as his new time traveling companion. The original actress doesn't want to wear the make-up again; I should be a 'shoe in'! you think I'll look good in a habit?"

Sincerely,

Bill

and...Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2007, 03:50 AM   #5
Ptrope
Agitator

Well, since I was invited (and it's relevant to the last post ) ...

I need to do another angle that shows how cat-like her profile is - at this angle and in this light, she could easily be thought to be little more than makeup (except for those legs, of course ).

Wait 'til I lay her out across the table in the Klingon briefing room I'm working on ...
Old August 23 2007, 04:46 AM   #6
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Meeee-Owwww!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2007, 05:05 AM   #7
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile

So is it against Caitian custom to wear a bra?
Old August 23 2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Ptrope
Agitator

The clasp catches in the fur ...
Old August 23 2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Redfern
Commodore

Ptrope said:
The clasp catches in the fur ...
*Snicker!* Clever!

Remember when DC Comics had the publishing rights for Star Trek in the mid '80s? The title, taking place aboard the Enterprise after Khan's self destructive wrath, went through a number of writers until Peter David signed onto the project. By the time of his arrival, DC had obtained a broader license to include material from the animated series. Peter took advantage of this to create a subplot involving M'Ress. At a bachelor party, several crewmembers get drunk because Bones, Scotty and Chekov each give the punch a lil' extra "kick". M'Ress and Sulu are seen strolling away arm in arm before the excess booze incites a brawl.

While we never see exactly what happens, we can pretty well guess. Afterwards, we see M'Ress wanting to cozy with Sulu while the helmsman seems uncomfortable with the situation. M'Ress eventually becomes frustrated with Hikaru's aloof attitude and so she "corners" in in a turbo-lift, demanding an explanation. I liked the encounter, but to be frank, I was not satisfied with the art. I won't say it was bad, but the style wasn't really suited for Trek. You know the ol' expression, "Yeah? Well, can you do any better?" I decided to see if I could.

I won't be so arrogant as to claim I did better, but I will say I opted for a variety of cinematic styled angles. The original comic art had a series of somewhat static side by side poses. You can see my version below.

Why didn't I complete it by inking and coloring the illustration? I was fortunate enough to have George Takei autograph my layout. I presented him with the still just penciled selections. Afterwards, I felt I shouldn't alter or update the material. Fortunately, Mr. Takei signed his name below my panels as opposed to across the drawings, so I was able to crop and paste the two drawings into a cohesive whole.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 23 2007, 06:39 PM   #10
regemet
Lieutenant Commander

Could you possibly do a pic of M,ress in Nemesis uniform as I first found out about het in New Frontier and love her as a charecter.
regemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2007, 07:11 PM   #11
Redfern
Commodore

As I have not seen "Nemesis", could someone point me to a decent reference of the uniform?

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 24 2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Redfern
Commodore

Regemet, I accessed TrekCore and saw it had screen-caps from "Nemesis". The characters wore several uniform styles. It so happens I do have a Caitian portrait sporting the "standard duty" uniform depicted in that production. (Actually, didn't that variation appear several movies earlier, also to be used in the later episodes of DS9?) Regardless, here ya' go.

I hope a conventionl graphite illustration is satisfactory, at least until I can track down some appropriate clothing textures.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 28 2007, 08:59 PM   #13
uss_griffin
Lieutenant Commander

A little off-topic:

Is there a Caitian / Kzinti connection? Or are they just two completely different species of cat-people with no relation?

What about that silly three-breasted cat creature in TFF?

Wasn't there also a cat-person in ST IV?

I'm curious about all types of Trek cat people.

Back on topic:
M'Ress's hands in the first (and perhaps the last) pictures in this thread (so far) look the most believably cat-like. The human-like hands in the others don't really work for me, especially in contrast to her feline feet.

I'd also like to see more of her tail (that sounded wrong -- or did it? ) I'm curious to see how the feline tail joins the more human-looking derriere.
uss_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2007, 02:12 AM   #14
Masao
Fleet Captain

I apologize in advance for her being out of uniform: THE REAL M'RESS
Old August 29 2007, 02:54 AM   #15
Ptrope
Agitator

uss_griffin said:
Back on topic:
M'Ress's hands in the first (and perhaps the last) pictures in this thread (so far) look the most believably cat-like. The human-like hands in the others don't really work for me, especially in contrast to her feline feet.
I'll go back to my old standby 'argument': M'Ress is an alien, not a cat that became a person. If she and her species vary in detail from felines, such as having hands instead of paws, I'm okay with it - it makes more sense to me that an evolved tool-using species which has gotten to the point of interstellar space travel (supposedly a condition of membership in the Federation) doesn't have to fumble with switches and controls, rather than preserving big, fluffy padded mitts. And I can even reconcile that with more classically-styled cat feet, as long as they aren't also supposed to be prehensile - we humans get along pretty well with short, stubby toes and long, solid feet, as opposed to, say, apes that have long fingers on their feet that they can grip and climb with.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :thumbsup:. My name is Ptrope and I approved this message.