IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 2 2014, 01:51 PM   #1
BruntFCA
Commander

Best of Bantam?

Which of the Bantam books are worth reading? Thanks.
Old June 2 2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Best of Bantam?

My favorite Bantam novels are Planet of Judgment by Joe Haldeman and The Galactic Whirlpool by David Gerrold. James Blish's Spock Must Die! is also worthwhile, though very strange. Stephen Goldin's Trek to Madworld is a zany comedy that's kind of fun, although the funniest part may be David Gerrold's introduction.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 03:32 PM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I have a soft spot for Death's Angel, although it's a blatant Mary Sue story. If ultra-cheesy aliens turn you off (think bipedal crocodiles that talk, and man-size beetles) avoid it, but I had plenty of fun. Spock Must Die! was the first adult Trek novel, and well worth a look. I also liked The Starless World, because we get a little bit of Uhura's background and meet her father.

A warning (or not, if it's your cup of tea), the novels by Marshak and Culbreath -the two Phoenix novels and Triangle- are thinly veiled K/S. And the latter is also the most blatant Mary Sue story in Trek.
Old June 2 2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Cicero
Admiral

I can't speak for anyone else, by my favorites were The New Voyages, The New Voyages II, The Price of the Phoenix, and The Fate of the Phoenix (though I never finished the latter for reasons unrelated to the book). I never noticed the K/S slash elements in the Phoenix books.
Old June 2 2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
A warning (or not, if it's your cup of tea), the novels by Marshak and Culbreath -the two Phoenix novels and Triangle- are thinly veiled K/S. And the latter is also the most blatant Mary Sue story in Trek.
Just to clarify, Triangle was actually M&C's second novel for Pocket, the first being The Prometheus Design. Only the Phoenix duology was from Bantam.

Old June 2 2014, 10:14 PM   #6
ClayinCA
Commodore

For me, New Voyages 1, Spock Must Die!, The Price of the Phoenix (if you squint your eyes and avoid the K/S stuff), and Vulcan! (it's also a Mary-Sue story, but I like the focus on McCoy).
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 12:42 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Of the two Phoenix novels, I prefer Fate. The last time I tried to read Price, I couldn't even get through it. But Fate has some interesting ideas, even though little is done with them. It's the first Trek novel that tried to do something with the idea of the Prime Directive, to address and question the ethics of it, although there's no payoff to that.

I don't much care for Vulcan! or Death's Angel. Not only are they both built around blatant Mary Sues (especially the latter), but the main cast members are badly out of character (for instance, in Vulcan!, Spock is irrationally stubborn about an incorrect conclusion about an alien race, just so the heroine can be smarter than he is and prove him wrong).

Old June 3 2014, 01:03 AM   #8
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

The Galactic Whirlpool is the overwritten first draft of something that could've been a great novel. Sadly, it was published that way. Still an interesting book, but self-indulgent and digressionary in far too many spots.

Having said that, it's probably the best of the Bantam books, mostly by process of elimination, though both Spock Must Die! and Planet of Judgment have their moments (and great pedigrees).

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:25 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Spock Messiah! is nothing short of awesome. It is lurid. It is trashy. When you're nine years old and you think Barsoom is the place you want most to visit in all the universe, this is the Star Trek novel you want. I love it unreservedly.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 03:14 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

KRAD wrote: View Post
The Galactic Whirlpool is the overwritten first draft of something that could've been a great novel. Sadly, it was published that way. Still an interesting book, but self-indulgent and digressionary in far too many spots.
Oh, but the digressions are my favorite parts! Some lovely bits of worldbuilding of a totally alternative version of the Trek universe. They have nothing to do with the story, but that's their whole charm. They kind of anticipate the Guide entries in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, these weird little anecdotal interludes in the narrative.

Old June 3 2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I agree with Chrstopher about The Galactic Whirlpool. Gerrold at his quirky best and a darned good Star Trek story, too. Have always enjoyed the bit about the would-be galactic emporer and his very short reign.
Old June 3 2014, 06:09 PM   #12
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh, but the digressions are my favorite parts! Some lovely bits of worldbuilding of a totally alternative version of the Trek universe. They have nothing to do with the story, but that's their whole charm.
When the thing that has nothing to do with the story is the best part of the book, it bespeaks a serious flaw in the book, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it should've been so much more....

They kind of anticipate the Guide entries in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, these weird little anecdotal interludes in the narrative.
Neat trick given that HHGTG predates The Galactic Whirlpool.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

KRAD wrote: View Post
They kind of anticipate the Guide entries in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, these weird little anecdotal interludes in the narrative.
Neat trick given that HHGTG predates The Galactic Whirlpool.
Well, okay. But only by a couple of years. And Adams was emulating Robert Sheckley anyway...

And I didn't mean the digressions were the best part, just that they're what stand out for me about its style. There's a lot I love about it.

Although it does have a major continuity error, in that a divide between the populations in the inner and outer levels of the cylindrical space habitat is later changed to a divide between those in its fore and aft halves. So I'll agree that parts of it needed more editing.

Wasn't Frederik Pohl the editor of the Bantam Trek novels?

Old June 5 2014, 05:08 PM   #14
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Spock Messiah! is nothing short of awesome. It is lurid. It is trashy. When you're nine years old and you think Barsoom is the place you want most to visit in all the universe, this is the Star Trek novel you want. I love it unreservedly.
Oh, god this book was bizarre. I think I was horrified the entire time I read it (although I did finish it). I was seriously starting to wonder if this book I'd picked up very cheap second hand was even an official ST book

Spock Messiah! and the Price/Fate of the Phoenix books are, to this day,the only Star Trek books I bought and then didn't keep. SM was disturbing and the Phoenix books I couldn't even get through.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 01:21 AM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dark Knight Rises by Greg Cox is a great Batman novel.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote