Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 31 2014, 03:12 PM   #46
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

^ Well, no big deal. IIRC in that movie Kirk Douglas had a meeting of departments heads, about a dozen or so officers. But each of them would have a couple dozen officers in their departments.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 06:42 PM   #47
Timo
Admiral

Would you happen to have any insight into the command issued at the Enterprise first sighting Gorkon's ship, "All officers to the bridge"? Is it something more appropriate for the sailing ship era (before bridges were invented, yeah, but anyway)? Something one would expect in a WWII setting? Something we would encounter even later on?

Why does Kirk want his officers to the bridge anyway?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 06:50 PM   #48
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ IIRC, it wasn't Kirk who summoned the officers to the bridge. It was a female voice, perhaps an automated computer command triggered to go off in certain emergencies.
Old May 31 2014, 07:57 PM   #49
Timo
Admiral

Yup, but Kirk would supposedly be issuing the command for that PA to be sent.

And I trust it wasn't automated, as Kirk didn't even have his shields set on auto-raise; they'd tiptoe around this Klingon encounter, avoiding hasty or stereotypical reactions in every respect. Until booze entered the picture, of course.

(Why would even an emergency call for officers to leave their duties and instead have a bridge get-together, though?)

Timo Saloniemi
Old June 1 2014, 12:26 AM   #50
J.T.B.
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
Would you happen to have any insight into the command issued at the Enterprise first sighting Gorkon's ship, "All officers to the bridge"? Is it something more appropriate for the sailing ship era (before bridges were invented, yeah, but anyway)? Something one would expect in a WWII setting? Something we would encounter even later on?
The thing is, even on a big ship the bridge is pretty small and confined, and everyone there is working, so it's not a good place to confer with more than a couple of people. On a carrier there is a room in the island with a conference table, and I believe another one for the admiral. I imagine battleships had something similar, maybe cruisers, and smaller ships would probably just use the wardroom. But Star Trek has always used the bridge as a combination bridge and combat information center, so there's more room and more reason for various officers to be there. But wanting "all officers" to come to the bridge seems far fetched. I think maybe what they meant was "all officers who should be on the bridge, you know who you are..."
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 01:13 AM   #51
Sran
Fleet Captain

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
My main question: after Decker left Kirk's quarters and conveniently ran into Ilia who just happened to make herself available in the vicinity of Kirk's quarters (unless she was on break, I suppose), the scene returns to Kirk's quarters.
There's a brief cut to Ilia watching them leave the bridge, as she obviously sensed the change in Kirk's mood and knew what was coming. Although I can't imagine she left the bridge solely for the purpose of finding out what happened in Kirk's quarters, it's not surprising that she ran into Decker as the latter was on his way back to the bridge.

McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room.
McCoy's last line of dialogue before the scene change was, "He may be right, Jim." It's likely he spent the intervening moments rehashing Kirk's mistakes before moving onto to the larger issue of Kirk being obsessed with the Enterprise to the point that he was competing against the officer on whom he should have been relying more than any other person on his senior staff.

Kirk admitted as much when he cited Decker's familiarity with the ship as the reason he was staying aboard, but that didn't stop him from demanding the impossible the moment the Enterprise left drydock, nor did it prevent him from taking offense when Decker dismissed his phaser order--until the latter pointed out that using the phasers would likely have resulted in the ship's destruction, as they would have not fired properly, and Enterprise would have collided with the asteroid.

I think you're right on the money there. That fits perfectly, and spares us the viewer of having to hear essentially the same information twice. So, cut ti Decker and Ilia standing in front of the orange door, then switch to McCoy and Kirk talking in front of a giant Chekov.
Indeed. It reminds me of Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips, which aired almost three decades ago. There's an episode that features an enormous depiction of Mr. Chip's face. I remember laughing hysterically as a child when I saw it.

--Sran

Last edited by Sran; June 1 2014 at 01:38 AM.
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 02:38 PM   #52
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
It would be interesting to know whether the original plan was to have a large number of different color-panels for distinguishing the "different decks" represented by the corridor set; just the one panel and then set lighting to create the differences, in true 1960s television style; or whether the color coding thing is complete bunk and the intent always was to just go for padded vs. bare... (In-universe, I'd assume Starfleet would have wanted the latter.)
The TMP corridors were done for the film, not p2, so distinguishing between the decks was done when the director wanted it. TMOSTTMP and/or Sackett's STARLOG column mentioned that set decorator Linda DeScenna brought in colored fabric to differentiate the corridor for the Decker/Ilia scene, so it sounds like that was a fairly late call, probably well into shooting.

Doesn't really fit into any 'grand plan' type thinking at all, and kind of flies in the face of the production designer's stated approach to differentiate things or futurize them through lighting. So, in addition to providing some much needed visual snap, the fabric also warms up the scene between the pair, which is probably a big part of the choice, since it is on paper a pretty conventional personal/emotional exchange.

I do wonder about how & why they dulled down the roddenberium metal walls after TMP. Only thought is that like the pearlescent exterior of the miniature, it was just too difficult for ordinary gaffers and cinematographers to light for. As much as I dislike most of the art direction calls for TMP, those metal-like walls are pretty damn impressive.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 07:10 PM   #53
Timo
Admiral

Ditto - but in-universe, we can rather nicely argue that the ship left dock before proper paint had been applied on the interior or the exterior.

Timo Saloniemi