A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 28 2014, 05:23 AM   #856
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

^ Wow, Star Trek's Earth must have had more ships, probes and satellites flung out into deep space than they had end up where they were actually supposed to go!
Old May 28 2014, 08:06 AM   #857
Markonian
Captain

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
^ Wow, Star Trek's Earth must have had more ships, probes and satellites flung out into deep space than they had end up where they were actually supposed to go!
Trek-Earth lost more ships than the "Trek is just fiction"-universe Earth! I'd like to combine their budget with our space agency's competence. We'd be on Mars in no time.

Last edited by Markonian; May 28 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 08:36 AM   #858
Villordsutch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Villordsutch's Twitter Profile

My review of Star Trek #33 over at Flickering Myth -

I don't want to give to much away but I wasn't a fan.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...r-trek-33.html
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 09:43 PM   #859
Enterprise1701
Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post
Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Trek-Earth lost more ships than the "Trek is just fiction"-universe Earth! I'd like to combine thier budget with our space agency's competence. We'd be on Mars in no time.
Don't forget that in Star Trek, humans are at least partially the result of biological engineering from spacefaring species (TNG: "The Chase") and Earth has been visited by spacefaring species (TOS: First Frontier, TOS: "Who Mourns for Adonais", VOY: "Tattoo", ENT: "North Star", TNG: "Time's Arrow", DS9: "Little Green Men", etc.) before humans thought spaceflight and warp flight to be possible.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 05:32 AM   #860
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I just read the Khan mini-series and liked it quite a bit. Better writing and art than most of the Ongoing Trek comic. (Though, the middle two issues have a weird habit of a small amount of panels floating in the middle of the page with about a 1.5" margin of purplish-black.) There's a little bit of "massaging" of some of the continuity points and logical problems of STID, too, which was a bit unexpected. (Mainly just the rather confusing logic of why the other Augments were put in the torpedoes and how Khan knew and why Robocop would send all of them to Qo'nos.)

I also notice that there's a bit of a "He could also be lying about actually being Khan, too" from Kirk at the ending. Not quite that explicit, but tied in to his "He's just telling us his version of history."
Old May 31 2014, 12:02 PM   #861
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
There's no real reason Nero showing up and destroying the Kelvin should have motivated Chekov's parents to have a child sooner but there we are.
Ripple effects aren't always straightforwardly recognizable. There's no telling how many dominoes could've fallen between the cause and the effect. Say, the Kelvin's destruction by an advanced Romulan ship puts Starfleet on more of a defensive footing, so they increase their shipbuilding efforts, and they need more personnel, so Andrei Chekov takes a job on Earth instead of the offworld gig he would've taken, and that keeps him closer to home so he and his wife can start a family four years earlier.
Given that the Nerada and Spock's ship arrived at different points in the timeline, theres nothing to say that something else didn't get sucked into the black hole and arrive at an earlier point than what we saw...so it's possible that ripple effects had already started much earlier as well.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 05:11 PM   #862
Enterprise1701
Captain

I think this has been raised before I'm just not sure where, but since Kirk and the U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1701) are obviously different, then it must mean that "Tomorrow is Yesterday" as the original episode stands cannot have happened in the Abramsverse, right? 1968/2268 in the Abramsverse must have happened a different way.
Old June 1 2014, 05:35 PM   #863
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I like to think that if AU Kirk and co. went back to 1968, they'd bump into their TOS counterparts. I can't see that actually happening should the episode be adapted, but it would be fun.
Old June 1 2014, 05:41 PM   #864
Pauln6
Commodore

I enjoyed this month's opener but if it's only going to be a 2-parter then there is going to be a lot of build-up for very little pay-off. The plot is a bit vague on how they managed to lose track of the crew's bio-signals (as seen when Robau beamed over on the Narada) and why they don't have a standard practice of trying to re-establish comms and then beaming down a standby rescue team as soon as the bio-data goes off-line.

I like the notion that crewmen go on landing parties on a rota since it means that the writers can introduce new characters who have mission specific skills while also rotating which recurring characters get a bigger role to play in each story. However, in this instance they wasted quite a bit of dialogue on the concept before sending down the same recurring characters, none of whom were qualified in planetary surveying, unless and until they confirm that NuSulu still dabbles in botany...

It is nice to see Zahra and Kai again but they are so generic they could be rotated out quite easily or split into the the second security team that otherwise consisted only of white human males, so while they are improving, they still need to keep a grip on how they feature supporting characters. Zahra is still pale and blonde sadly, which just makes me miss Janice. I hope Rand isn't being left out deliberately; she hasn't featured for a while now.

So overall, like so many of the stories, it was an enjoyable start but I'm expecting a rather simplistic conclusion.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 05:56 PM   #865
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
I think this has been raised before I'm just not sure where, but since Kirk and the U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1701) are obviously different, then it must mean that "Tomorrow is Yesterday" as the original episode stands cannot have happened in the Abramsverse, right? 1968/2268 in the Abramsverse must have happened a different way.
I don't think so. Remember, the Abrams timeline and the Prime timeline coexist side by side. It's not a case of one "replacing" the other -- the timeline branches into two parallel tracks, like a fork in the road. (Well, many more than two, but only two concern us at the moment.) So if time travelers from either timeline go back to before the fork, they'll end up in the same original track -- at least until their actions in the past cause a different timeline to branch off from that earlier point.

So the event of the Prime Enterprise going back to 1969 in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (along with going back to 1968 in "Assignment: Earth," going back to 1930 in "City on the Edge," going back to 1986 in The Voyage Home, etc.) is still there as part of history. If the Abrams Enterprise went back to that exact same moment, they might run into their counterparts; but if they went back at all, odds are that they'd arrive at a different time and their differing actions would cause them to branch onto a different track.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 06:03 PM   #866
Enterprise1701
Captain

So you're saying that if Federation starship Enterprise-E and Commonwealth starship Enterprise both time travel to the Big Bang, then they could run into each other?
Old June 1 2014, 06:39 PM   #867
Christopher
Writer

Well, any starship traveling to the Big Bang would run into the entire universe, so I think they'd have bigger problems to worry about.

Old June 1 2014, 06:47 PM   #868
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

DaiMon Bok did it.

Maybe "Ferengi did it" can be the Trek verse's version of "The Simpsons Did It".
Old June 2 2014, 12:45 AM   #869
Pauln6
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Remember, the Abrams timeline and the Prime timeline coexist side by side. It's not a case of one "replacing" the other -- the timeline branches into two parallel tracks, like a fork in the road. (Well, many more than two, but only two concern us at the moment.) So if time travelers from either timeline go back to before the fork, they'll end up in the same original track -- at least until their actions in the past cause a different timeline to branch off from that earlier point.

So the event of the Prime Enterprise going back to 1969 in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (along with going back to 1968 in "Assignment: Earth," going back to 1930 in "City on the Edge," going back to 1986 in The Voyage Home, etc.) is still there as part of history. If the Abrams Enterprise went back to that exact same moment, they might run into their counterparts; but if they went back at all, odds are that they'd arrive at a different time and their differing actions would cause them to branch onto a different track.
That's not quite correct. There is no 'fork' per se; the timelines are separate even if they appear to be exact so no, NuKirk cannot go back and meet TOS Kirk in 1930. He could, however, go back and meet a Kirk who up until that point has had an identical existence that TOS Kirk.

Of course if you accept that premise then McCoy was not changing the past at all in the original episode but rather causing those in the vicinity of the Guardian to 'jump tracks' along with the person that has been sent back. In that respect the time traveller is changing the history of the observers by making them part of the alternate timeline.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 12:55 AM   #870
Christopher
Writer

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
That's not quite correct. There is no 'fork' per se; the timelines are separate even if they appear to be exact so no, NuKirk cannot go back and meet TOS Kirk in 1930.
You're stating a variant fan interpretation as though it were gospel fact. The intent of the filmmakers, as we know for a fact, was that the Abramsverse diverged from the Prime history as a result of the Narada's arrival in 2233. Prior to that moment, they were the same timeline. Certainly I've heard many people argue that it could have been a separate timeline to begin with, but that's just a supposition, not a proven fact. Therefore, I am sticking with the presumption intended by the filmmakers, until I'm given canonical evidence to the contrary. (The comics don't count.)

Of course if you accept that premise then McCoy was not changing the past at all in the original episode but rather causing those in the vicinity of the Guardian to 'jump tracks' along with the person that has been sent back. In that respect the time traveller is changing the history of the observers by making them part of the alternate timeline.
I think you're making the mistake of assuming that alternate timelines are just near-identical parallels that have always coexisted alongside each other. That's not the way it works, quantum-mechanically speaking or fictionally speaking. They only run in parallel after the event that causes the divergence, not before it. So yes, there is a fork in the road.