Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 31 2014, 06:14 PM   #16
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle
Re: What Should Be Done for Star Trek's 50th

Melakon wrote: View Post
NASA should launch their first warp capable spacecraft.
YES!

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 02:10 PM   #17
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Thing about Doctor Who though is that it's been back in TV production since 2005 and has been really popular, while Trek has really just had the two movies recently.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 07:12 PM   #18
CRM-114
Lieutenant Junior Grade

CBS/Paramount will do whatever they think will generate buzz for the franchise. I personally expect:

-the next movie, of course.

-some type of merchandising push marking fifty years of Trek.

-maybe something for TV, the best (and yet most extreme) option being a new series, but probably some kind of retrospective. It could even be a series of small retrospectives, one for each series, ala The Captains on Epix.

Last edited by CRM-114; June 1 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Error in writing
CRM-114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 03:07 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
JohnChod wrote: View Post
If you're talking pie-in-the-sky, go ahead and dream all you want. In reality, your plans are far too expensive with insufficient payback to make it plausible. Further, it is rather unlikely that you could get enough key members of the old casts to make this happen.

I seldom watch it and don't follow it much, but does your Trek suggestion really follow Doctor Who's approach? Is Doctor Who planning four TV movies and a mini-series that require extensive set creation and the attempted re-assembly of numerous casts and crews? And a major theatrical motion picture?

In a more practical vein, I would like to see the next Trek movie released in 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary. It would be a completely new adventure and not derivative of anything that has gone before. It would open with a splash screen of a terrifically designed 50 year logo. Perhaps a montage of scenes from all of the old series and movies could be assembled and shown as a 'trailer' after the end of the film? I think even that would have some rights issues to deal with.
Doctor Who had one 50th special that did bring back a couple of previous doctors. They probably had some tv interviews or whatnot, but on BBC America I remember just the 50th Anniversary Special. Of course merchandise too.
Would that be The five(ish) Doctors reboot?

Which was actually quite good, it's a shame it was on the Red Button instead of being broadcast on one of the BBC TV channels.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
JohnChod wrote: View Post
If you're talking pie-in-the-sky, go ahead and dream all you want. In reality, your plans are far too expensive with insufficient payback to make it plausible. Further, it is rather unlikely that you could get enough key members of the old casts to make this happen.

I seldom watch it and don't follow it much, but does your Trek suggestion really follow Doctor Who's approach? Is Doctor Who planning four TV movies and a mini-series that require extensive set creation and the attempted re-assembly of numerous casts and crews? And a major theatrical motion picture?

In a more practical vein, I would like to see the next Trek movie released in 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary. It would be a completely new adventure and not derivative of anything that has gone before. It would open with a splash screen of a terrifically designed 50 year logo. Perhaps a montage of scenes from all of the old series and movies could be assembled and shown as a 'trailer' after the end of the film? I think even that would have some rights issues to deal with.
Doctor Who had one 50th special that did bring back a couple of previous doctors. They probably had some tv interviews or whatnot, but on BBC America I remember just the 50th Anniversary Special. Of course merchandise too.

Which was actually quite good, it's a shame it was on the Red Button instead of being broadcast on one of the BBC TV channels.
Nah I mean the 50th Anniversary special that they aired on BBC (in my case BBC America).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Doctor

Tom Baker was really the only "before new" doctor to be featured. But they showed images at the end of them all if I recall correctly.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old June 2 2014, 08:55 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
Thing about Doctor Who though is that it's been back in TV production since 2005 and has been really popular, while Trek has really just had the two movies recently.
Remember howe ver that DW went for 16 years with only a single TV Movie produced.

Nah I mean the 50th Anniversary special that they aired on BBC (in my case BBC America).

Tom Baker was really the only "before new" doctor to be featured. But they showed images at the end of them all if I recall correctly.
In addition to the above the BBC also did

An Adventure in Time and Space about the making of DW.

Night of the Doctor which had the Doctor in just not the one we were expecting.

The difference however was DW was in production on TV at the time had it not been I expect we wouldn't have had much.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 2 2014, 10:33 PM   #22
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
Remember howe ver that DW went for 16 years with only a single TV Movie produced.

In addition to the above the BBC also did

An Adventure in Time and Space about the making of DW.

Night of the Doctor which had the Doctor in just not the one we were expecting.

The difference however was DW was in production on TV at the time had it not been I expect we wouldn't have had much.
Oh yes.. I saw Night of the Doctor.

I did not see the making of though! I'll have to find that someplace online.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old June 2 2014, 11:22 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

An Adventure In Space and Time was quite good and did feature several actors who had apeared in the show during the it covered circa 1963-1966.

I'd also recommed The Five(ish) Doctor's Reboot.It's actually quite impressive who they managed to get to appear in it. But then again maybe not.
Old June 3 2014, 12:35 AM   #24
Doctorwhovian
Commander

All the Doctors appeared in Day of the Doctor, although some due to stock footage/dialogue and some CG copy and pasting over body doubles at the end.

The episodes which bookended the seventh season-Asylum Of The Daleks and Name Of The Doctor-likewise featured a good chunk of Daleks from all of the Dalek stories over the last 50 years and Name of the Doctor also did the stock footage/body double stuff which featured all the Doctors.

In a way it was a bit like Star Trek's 30th which also utilized some clever stock footage manipulation (Trials and Tribbleations) and a returning actor (George Takei in Voy's Flashback).

Doctor Who did have some anniversary stuff when it was off the air-the awful 90's 3D special Dimensions In Time and the decent documentary 30 years in the TARDIS; the 40th anniversary did have another documentary I believe and also the announcement of the new series, as well as audio and novel stuff.

There were plans for a more elaborate 30th special called The Dark Dimension, but those fell through.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 12:47 AM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Would love to have a special edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture with the theatrical, director's and special longer editions all on one disc with seamless branching.
Old June 3 2014, 12:50 AM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Trek 3 and the four cancelled Abramsverse novels are all I need.
This.
Old June 4 2014, 04:44 AM   #27
han solo
Ensign

has it been 50 years allready , wow wish gerogre lucucs was alive to see this day
han solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 05:56 AM   #28
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Uh, he's still alive...
Old June 8 2014, 06:57 AM   #29
Dukhat
Commodore

han solo wrote: View Post
has it been 50 years allready , wow wish gerogre lucucs was alive to see this day
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Uh, he's still alive...
Well, George Lucas is still alive. Whoever the hell Gerogre Lucucs is, he might be dead
Old June 26 2014, 11:23 PM   #30
Dryson
Lieutenant Commander

I think a rather interesting 50th Anniversary show would be to have some of the members from the TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voy go into a dream state where they wake in the new Trek Universe and interact with the new cast members on a one to one basis where Veteran Trek cast member thinks they are dreaming but are in fact in the new Trek timeline.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote