Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 31 2014, 06:05 PM   #16
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Re: Manned Dragon

I am surprised by this. One more delay caused by a total overhaul? To get a launch escape system ready, it's not enough to build a helicopter for landing on Mars, you need to remake your entire capsule too. I am grateful they are busy throwing out the "when it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle out of the window, we need less of it to really get into space. And there was I, ready to hitch a ride on the Dragon V1 with no extra life support, no launch escape system or seats, let alone tablets.

I never thought that a capsule could look appealing to the eye. By going back to rockets and capsules, I was beginning to think that practical space exploration is going to look ugly.

And Spaceflight with printed engines? Didn't expect that.

(Don't remember to ship one of them DMLS printers to Mars one day)
Old May 31 2014, 06:29 PM   #17
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Perhaps the "Cycling Spacecraft" would be closer to the mark..
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3408800354.html
Old May 31 2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Metryq
Captain

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Well, pretty much all they really have in common is that both are phallus shaped. The Orion was supposed to be nuclear powered IIRC and the wings on the Hydra are really solar panels
I understand the "wings" on the Hydra/MCT are solar panels. I simply meant the rendering reminded me of renderings of the Orion shuttle from the movie 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.

As for being nuclear, that is not mentioned in the movie, nor is the name Orion. All of that appeared in the model kit and other behind-the-scenes material.

One must also be careful when dropping the name "Orion" in regard to spacecraft, as NASA has one in development, and Dyson's proposal was definitely nuclear powered.

varek wrote: View Post
But, it's a two-edged sword, because who could control an unanswerable CEO, if she/he gets lured to the "dark side"?
You're right. No government would ever run amok. It's always those foaming-at-the-mouth CEOs.

varek wrote: View Post
Personally, I don't understand what the difference is between a mission to the Moon and a mission to Mars, other than distance and duration.
As Sojourner already noted, the relationship between planets is dynamic. Even if we ignore that for a minute, how does a space station somewhere in between help? The station needs to be routinely supplied; it's not another Earth that is independent. Roadside inns don't work in spaceflight.

Perhaps you are suggesting some sort of supply convoy, which has been addressed in many studies. A fleet of ships might be sent, or a supply vessel might be sent on ahead to wait at Mars, or even be intercepted along the way as part of a complex navigation scheme.

Creating a Moon colony first has many advantages. It is much closer, affording the possibility of an abort back to Earth if anything catastrophic happens. The proximity also means there are potential financial returns, while Mars is just too far away with current technology. And there's the experience factor. Long duration missions on the Moon, or even a permanent colony could be very valuable in testing various survival technologies.