Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 31 2014, 01:21 PM   #61
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Re: The Federation / Klingon Alliance

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And like I said, it never forces anyone to join, so there's no downside to this.
In "A Taste of Armageddon" it was Ambassador Fox's mission to obtain a treaty port on Eminiar Seven.

Fox: "... if the Federation had a treaty port here. We mean to have that port and I'm here to get it. "

No, Eminiar Seven wasn't being force to join, but the Federation apparently wasn't above employing force to get Eminiar Seven to let them in.
Old May 31 2014, 01:42 PM   #62
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Fox wasn't going to use force. Not literally. He's there to persuade the Eminians. That, by definition, is never force - if he gets them to LET the Federation in, then that can't be force. He has the right to talk them into it, so to speak. That's not forcing anything.

Persuading the other side to see things the way you do, is allowed.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 04:34 PM   #63
Timo
Admiral

I doubt you'd find any support for the argument, either in court or in public, that saying "Pay or I'll break your kneecaps" is not forcing...

Fox no doubt would have many arrows in his quiver; he need not coerce with military force or violence alone. But negotiation often equals blackmail, and "forcing" and "use of force" should be valid terms for describing the process.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 05:18 PM   #64
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

Fox was a dick, true, but there's no evidence he would have employed blackmail or anything kneecap-related in his methods. He's an ambassador. It's his job to be diplomatic. And diplomacy is, by definition, not force.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old May 31 2014, 06:38 PM   #65
Timo
Admiral

I say that diplomacy is, by definition, force (and indeed nothing else). And I'm right, you are wrong, nyah nyah.

...Or is there something more to this "definition" business?

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 31 2014, 07:06 PM   #66
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

I'm just saying, there is no evidence Fox intended a military takeover or any overt use of force. Indeed, he tries to order the shields lowered as a gesture of good faith. And it also seems clear that Fox has no Starfleet training nor has he ever been a soldier (in fact I'm sure he specifically says that he was not). The only indication that I can see is, Fox is on a mission to get the Eminians to *agree* to his request by their own will. Think about it: If you agree to something - if you're convinced that you want it and it's in your best interest - how can you have been forced to do it?

Kirk does invoke General Order 24, yes. But he is a Starfleet officer attempting to defend his ship and crew. Whatever force Kirk might threaten, Fox isn't involved at all.
Old May 31 2014, 07:57 PM   #67
Elvira
Vice Admiral

^ You might want to look up the term "treaty port."

Old May 31 2014, 09:40 PM   #68
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

I think the Klingon Empire does have a lot of hypocrisy, but it has decreased over time because I'd think that by the TNG era they are committed to protecting their conquered worlds and populations. And military protection is something the Klingons probably excel at.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 10:01 PM   #69
Timo
Admiral

Think about it: If you agree to something - if you're convinced that you want it and it's in your best interest - how can you have been forced to do it?
At gunpoint, say? It would certainly be in my best interest to have no more than five major openings to my head.

Timo Saloniemi
Old June 2 2014, 11:03 AM   #70
MacLeod
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
And like I said, it never forces anyone to join, so there's no downside to this.
In "A Taste of Armageddon" it was Ambassador Fox's mission to obtain a treaty port on Eminiar Seven.

Fox: "... if the Federation had a treaty port here. We mean to have that port and I'm here to get it. "

No, Eminiar Seven wasn't being force to join, but the Federation apparently wasn't above employing force to get Eminiar Seven to let them in.

But that could just be Fox talking tough. For all we know his actually instructions were more like

"Ambassador Fox, the Federation Council has decided it would like a Treaty Port in the Eminiar system go and negotiate a mutally beneficial treaty that will permit one"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 12:30 PM   #71
Timo
Admiral

Yielding to a treaty port demand means Eminiar is giving up a major element of its sovereignty, allowing a foreign power to establish extraterritoriality ("we do just as we please here, your laws don't apply") and to operate military hardware from former Eminian turf to its own strategic ends. Or at least this is what the concept means today. Unless we assume a futuristic redefinition, it's difficult to see how Anan 7 could sign an agreement, unless Federation pressure really was so overwhelming it overrode Anan 7's concerns about being accused of treason.

Sure, there could be compensations. But "mutually beneficial" would still be but a pretty wording for the beginning of Eminiar's slow slide from a sovereign power to a vassal state.

It does pique my interest whether the disappearances were due to the local war, or merely something external that a forward base of operations (be it a forced treaty port or a friendly haven) would alleviate. If the Eminian system is a lone rock of safety in an extensive space wilderness, it would make sense for shipping to seek refuge there (either because threatened by this external force X, or simply for the universal lure of civilization), and thus fall victim to the local madness.

OTOH, Eminiar could be isolated from the wider galactic civilization not by distance but rather by this factor X, which is why no Kirk before ours came and forced them to quit their idiocy: it took an altruist and powerful organization (UFP/Starfleet) to start caring about the problem of factor X when the default solution would simply be not to go to this dangerous place.

I agree that the computers waging the war might well have targeted visiting spacecraft specifically, either in a strategic gambit to put the opposition to a difficult position, or then rather because they wanted to maintain status quo and stop outsiders from interfering. But there's one thing to consider: when computers wage war against each other, surely things would spiral out of control very fast, and escalate to literally inhuman levels where sneakiness and ruthlessness much beyond the firing of the occasional tricobolt warhead would be the norm? That the fighting is as "humane" as we see, not that different from how humans would do it, indicates that there are safeties and limiters in place - to keep the computers from switching from Eminiar vs. Vendikar mode to pure computer vs. computer mode, a switch that would both escalate the conflict and shift its focus away from the humans, whom the original arrangement was designed to intimidate. The balance of terror is maintained only if humans remain at the focus; otherwise, it soon becomes united humans vs. computers, and unity is what the arrangement was designed to prevent. Clearly, neither Eminiar nor Vendikar would agree to the war ending in something else than their respective victories!

Timo Saloniemi
Old June 2 2014, 12:36 PM   #72
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

^ Fox wasn't going to use force. Not literally. He's there to persuade the Eminians. That, by definition, is never force - if he gets them to LET the Federation in, then that can't be force. He has the right to talk them into it, so to speak. That's not forcing anything.

Persuading the other side to see things the way you do, is allowed.
Not going to use force? I suppose you don't need to use it. The battleship itself is threat enough.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 04:49 PM   #73
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post

But that could just be Fox talking tough. For all we know his actually instructions were more like

"Ambassador Fox, the Federation Council has decided it would like a Treaty Port in the Eminiar system go and negotiate a mutally beneficial treaty that will permit one"
That seems very likely. Fox is obviously a blowhard with a tendency to exaggerate. He does it pretty much every time he speaks at all.
Old June 3 2014, 08:24 AM   #74
Elvira
Vice Admiral

^ But then, again there's his use of the term "treaty port."