Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 29 2014, 10:36 PM   #16
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu
Re: Levar Burton, does not age

Nichelle Nichols also looks amazing for her age. I mean yeah, she's aged, but out of all the original series cast (esp. out of those i've met recently) she's definitely showing the least signs of getting up there.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:38 AM   #17
urbandefault
Captain

Asians, Native Americans, Hispanics, and Pacific Islanders can also look much younger than their chronological age, as can a lot of Caucasians. I don't see anything racist in the observation, but it isn't really necessary to point out race in saying someone looks good for their age.
Old May 30 2014, 12:51 AM   #18
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Why do we even need to mention "age" at all, instead of the much more complimentary, "s/he looks good!" minus qualifiers?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:22 AM   #19
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Obviously, it's the VISOR. While left unstated, an ancillary function of the device is to emit a periodic stream of er, Hrumphs, that transversely penetrate the corneal membrane and, through a not entirely understood process, eventually permeate the vast majority of blood cells throughout the body. The process has been observed to foster a prolonged state of superior general health, harmony, and satisfaction in most humanoids.
Old May 30 2014, 03:24 AM   #20
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Many valid points. I guess I would sum it up this way. It's not what you say, but how you say it.
Old May 30 2014, 04:24 AM   #21
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

There is a physiological, and non-racist, basis for all this: people of recent African descent (all of us are descended from Africans, after all) have more collagen and melanin in their skin, which makes it more resilient.

And yes, Reading Rainbow was a great show. It would be wonderful if children could experience it again.
PhoenixClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 04:42 AM   #22
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Good news then. Burton and Rainbow met their goal...yesterday. It is coming back.
Old May 30 2014, 01:17 PM   #23
2takesfrakes
Commodore

LeVar Burton has, indeed, aged, as have all of the cast. It's kind of hard to believe and accept, I know, when there are celebrities like Demi Moore, for instance, who've been going to a good plastic surgeon, or whatever they've been doing. But even with that going for her, Demi would never be assumed to be under her late 30s, or under 40 even. I guess the TNG cast decided to age gracefully, for the most part, I don't know. But LeVar had a cool look when he was in TNG and there's just no way he could try that, now. It's a shame and it's not anybody's fault. Even actors get old and die eventually ...
Old May 30 2014, 02:01 PM   #24
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
But LeVar had a cool look when he was in TNG and there's just no way he could try that, now.
I'll just be thankful if he never tries the look he went with in the video for Cameo's "Word Up" again.

Completely aside from some races maintaining youth longer, there's something in the water in Hollywood. Think about how many female celebrities from 25 years ago look like they haven't aged - and if they have, it was only to add a little character to their appearance and look even hotter. Cindy Crawford has only within the last couple of years really started to look a day over 25. It's very odd - and I want in on whatever it is.
Old May 30 2014, 02:18 PM   #25
Shat Happens
Captain

^^^ that's righta. Actors are not average-looking people to begin with.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:26 PM   #26
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I didn't realize he is 57. Really, I didn't know how old he is. But, he looks good for 57!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 03:14 PM   #27
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Alrik wrote: View Post
Good news then. Burton and Rainbow met their goal...yesterday. It is coming back.
They've even gone twice as high.
Old May 30 2014, 03:55 PM   #28
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

PhoenixClass wrote: View Post
There is a physiological, and non-racist, basis for all this: people of recent African descent (all of us are descended from Africans, after all) have more collagen and melanin in their skin, which makes it more resilient.

And yes, Reading Rainbow was a great show. It would be wonderful if children could experience it again.
THIS!

People need to remember that visible aging is a function of gravity and sun damage. People of color have more melanin in our skin, which helps to impede the aging process. Ontop of that celebrities have access to the best food, medical care and beauty treatments that money can buy, as well as living lives that are high in luxury and low on stress. All of that results in the prolonged appearance of youth...even without plastic surgery.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 04:02 PM   #29
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

I am glad I dipped into this minefield thread, because it helped me discover Reading Rainbow is coming back. I LOVED!!!!! that show, and so did most of my peers. It was a show you could watch as a kid and no one would call you a nerd.
Old May 31 2014, 03:13 AM   #30
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

About to go thrice as high...