Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 29 2014, 07:02 PM   #1
HaplessCrewman
Commander

One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

A pretty good article on how a critically lauded, box office hit can have its reputation change so dramatically over the course of a year.

After the initial blush, how do you see STID a year later? Do you still love it or has contemplation tempered your assessment of the film?

I think Matt Singer at The Dissolve pretty much covers it.

Star Trek Into Darkness is so fast-paced, it actually outruns its own logic problems, another reason why it received such an unusual combination of initial positive reviews and subsequent negative buzz. Almost everyone who saw the movie enjoyed the experience. They only started to see the plot holes after thinking about it, watching it again, or reading the criticism that slowly started to cohere around the film.
http://thedissolve.com/features/one-...into-darkness/
Old May 29 2014, 07:03 PM   #2
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

The film is fine. Nerd rage over it was silly a year ago, as it is now.

As I said the other day:

Star Trek Into Darkness is a superb film.

I had a lot of issues going into it because people had basically spoiled half the damn thing for me in the weeks leading up to the film, but once I got past that I found the story, the characterization and the film itself as a whole to be quite satisfying, relevant to what's going on in the world today and more importantly entertaining.

Now, you guys can debate this till you're blue (or green) in the face, but that's my take on it. Critically and financially, it seems to be the case as well.

EDIT TO ADD:

More importantly: This is just one reviewer doing what all bloggers/reviewers who think they're actual, trained journalists/reviewers do: trying to declare something is one thing and one thing only for everyone else when all the blogger (I hesitate to use the term "writer") has is an opinion.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 07:09 PM   #3
iguana_tonante
Admiral

The idea that the "reputation" of Into Darkness (or ST09, for what matters) has changed over the years is laughable. People who loved it still loves it, and people who hated it still hates it.

The only difference is that people who liked the film simply moved on, while the many of those who disliked it are still seething with the fury of a thousand burning suns. But they are still just a (very) vocal (but tiny) minority.
Old May 29 2014, 07:18 PM   #4
mos6507
Captain

Disagree. On the runup, there are those who love to get swept up in the whole community/social experience of feeling like we're all about to participate in a monumental "event" with these blockbusters. So we want to love it as it helps us feel part of a larger whole in an age where we're otherwise so fractionalized into little special interest silos.

That's a big part of why we still go out to movies in the first place instead of watching it on our flat-screen TVs. But after that dies down, then you have to just judge the thing on its own merits as a creative work, and more often then not, you'll find it wanting.
Old May 29 2014, 07:21 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Between the theater, the Blu-ray and the EPIX replays, I've probably seen it a dozen to fifteen times over the last year. I think it holds up remarkably well from a purely entertainment standpoint though it has its flaws.
Old May 29 2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I've still yet to see it. But I didn't see ST09 until 2012, so there's still time.
Old May 29 2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Dennis
The Man

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
The idea that the "reputation" of Into Darkness (or ST09, for what matters) has changed over the years is laughable. People who loved it still loves it, and people who hated it still hates it.

The only difference is that people who liked the film simply moved on, while the many of those who disliked it are still seething with the fury of a thousand burning suns. But they are still just a (very) vocal (but tiny) minority.
Yep. Vocal and tiny.

Hollywood Doesn't Care About Fanboy Approval
Old May 29 2014, 07:55 PM   #8
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I can't remember precisely, but I saw STID seven, maybe eight times in theatres - and many times on Blu-ray since last September. I was quite honestly exhilarated on my "virgin viewing" - and walked out of my local multiplex on a genuine high.

I really didn't expect that - as a fairly jaded, and sometimes apathetic, middle-aged bloke in my mid forties, to feel that way was refreshing and, well, surprising. My childhood heroes had been brought back to life in a thrilling, exciting and enormously entertaining movie. STAR TREK - back on the silver screen.

I fucking loved it last May, and I still fucking love it now!
Old May 29 2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Dukhat
Commodore

Now that it's on Netflix, I plan to watch it this weekend. I'll let you know if for some reason my feelings about the film have inexplicably taken a 180 degree turn for the worse
Old May 29 2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Mage
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think it holds up remarkably well from a purely entertainment standpoint though it has its flaws.
This, and nothing more.

It's fantasticly entertaining movie, with fast action, loads of humor, some drama, everything we want in a blockbuster. However, some fans want more from Star Trek. And I don't think that what we as fans consider some of the best Trek episodes, will work well for a movie. So we get big blockbustermovies. In a way, STiD is a lot like TWOK. Somehow, fans still adore that one, but can't except this one.

So yeah, I loved STiD when it came out, and I still do. Highly entertaining.
Old May 29 2014, 08:22 PM   #11
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post

Yep. Vocal and tiny.

doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 08:23 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
And I don't think that what we as fans consider some of the best Trek episodes, will work well for a movie.
One day, Paramount will make my big screen treatment of "The Omega Glory"!
Old May 29 2014, 08:26 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

Yep. Vocal and tiny.

The casual moviegoers that propelled Star Trek Into Darkness to $467 million worldwide thought it was an entertaining science-fiction adventure with a fun cast and strong special effects. They didn’t care about the whole “Is Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan?” controversy or the hamfisted callbacks to Wrath of Khan or the 9/11-truther undertones. It was the hardcore Star Trek fans who took to the Internet to proclaim the film to be the “worst Star Trek film ever.” But Paramount (a division of Viacom, Inc.) knows that most of those ”Trekkies” will still show up for Star Trek 3 in summer 2016 no matter how much they disagree with the choice of Roberto Orci as director.
Nailed it.
Old May 29 2014, 08:29 PM   #14
Mage
Commodore

The casual moviegoers that propelled Star Trek Into Darkness to $467 million worldwide thought it was an entertaining science-fiction adventure with a fun cast and strong special effects. They didn’t care about the whole “Is Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan?” controversy or the hamfisted callbacks to Wrath of Khan or the 9/11-truther undertones. It was the hardcore Star Trek fans who took to the Internet to proclaim the film to be the “worst Star Trek film ever.” But Paramount (a division of Viacom, Inc.) knows that most of those ”Trekkies” will still show up for Star Trek 3 in summer 2016 no matter how much they disagree with the choice of Roberto Orci as director.
Nailed it.
I want to have that quote as my signature line for the rest of my life!!
Old May 29 2014, 09:01 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Nailed it.
This will be the most quoted post in the thread, and rightfully so.