Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 22 2014, 04:35 AM   #1156
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Caesar753 wrote: View Post
Anyone get their Bajoran lightship or U.S.S. Dauntless? I got mine today and they both look pretty great. The lightship is actually quite large - definitely the biggest model so far. One of the mainsails was broken off, but hopefully a little superglue will fix that.
One of my Solar Sail Ship's wings was broken off too, but from what I observed is that from where it was broke, there's really no way that it could be glued back on in the right position with the way the piece was formed. It would literally just be a tip or edge where the contact point would be, instead of a flat spot.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 12:31 PM   #1157
Yanks
Fleet Captain

I received the Bajoran lightship and the NX-01-A yesterday.

Very impressed with the Bajoran lightship. Wow, very intricate work. I didn't take it out of the box. Won't do that until I find it's final resting place.

Mine didn't appear to be broken.
Old May 22 2014, 01:38 PM   #1158
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

spacedock1 wrote: View Post

The flaws not insignificant.these partworks arre marketed as accurate replicas but riddled with inaccuracies.The playmates uss defiant did not have the star fleet pennant the wrong way round. the eaglemoss one did.The cardassian galor class did not have the right shade of yellow.The micro machine did have correct colour.The stargazer has wonky nacelles.The furuta didn't.the bajoran solar sailor is badly put together.

At this price point, and at this size, these ships are not bargains they are very expensive for a partwork publication.each regular issue costs 9.99 the model is only about 5 inches in length and the magazine contains information which is available for free elsewhere. the specials so far are twice the price and only margially bigger.for example the jjprise is only about 8 inches and badly put together.contrast the eaglemoss jjprise with playmates jjprise.the playmates jjprise was a bargain.contrast eaglemoss jjprise with the hot wheels jjprise.the hot wheels jjprise was a bargain.both are no longer being made.so, fair play, these are now relatively expensive.when you compare and contrast this partwork publication by eaglemoss with a rival diecast partwork you see this publication is not a bargain. example in tesco if you wanted to collect a regular issue 'helicopter monthly' you could have got a helicopter replica measuring nearly 12 inches and a glossy factual magazine for £7.99. That is a bargain.even the star wars official starships collection by deagostini was a bargain.
please dont misunderstand me.i like my eaglemoss trek models.i dont mind the 'flaws'.i just dont agree with the marketing which states that these models as highly accurate replicas when they are not.
if you are happy with your purchases, then all well and good.if you want to justify and make excuses for the 'flaws', then please do so.
i am only suggesting that (i) there is a 'bubble' secondary market for some of these models which has nothing to do with supply bottlenecks and nothing to do with the market dynamics of partwork publications and (ii) that the marketing promises more than the model can actually deliver
The Playmates USS Defiant was 20x bigger than the EM one and made entirely of plastic.

The Color of the Galor is off, but it's not green or purple. Looking at pictures of it on Ex Astris Scientia, it's not a million miles from the CG and studio model under unlit conditions.

Well, my Stargazer had straight nacelles.

And finally yeah, the solar sailer was flimsy, but that is entirely down to the design of the ship. They made the model as big as they could to compensate.

The £10 price point for die cast/plastic replicas is fantastic, especially when I was paying £8 per blind box of Japanese Futura toys at conventions, or twice that if I wanted to know what I was buying. And there is literally no competition between the quality of these models. And the JJPrise? The playmates one was £30 new and twice the size. The Hot Wheels one is barely 2 inches long and has terrible detailing. The JJPrise is missing one reg decal on the underside. Mine had wonky nacelles which I managed to pry off and re-glue in under 2 minutes. These are flaws, but in comparison to the rest of the model? I'm sorry, but they are insignificant. The only comparison to be made to existing models are those made in a similar scale and price point, and those are only the Japanese F-Toys/Futura and Johnny Lightning ships. Which were not sold in the shop down the street from me, had to be imported from Japan and (admittedly this is a small thing) you had to build yourself. And the quality varied wildly. 20 issues in to this collection, there has not been that level of quality change.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 01:51 PM   #1159
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Dac wrote: View Post
spacedock1 wrote: View Post

The flaws not insignificant.these partworks arre marketed as accurate replicas but riddled with inaccuracies.The playmates uss defiant did not have the star fleet pennant the wrong way round. the eaglemoss one did.The cardassian galor class did not have the right shade of yellow.The micro machine did have correct colour.The stargazer has wonky nacelles.The furuta didn't.the bajoran solar sailor is badly put together.

At this price point, and at this size, these ships are not bargains they are very expensive for a partwork publication.each regular issue costs 9.99 the model is only about 5 inches in length and the magazine contains information which is available for free elsewhere. the specials so far are twice the price and only margially bigger.for example the jjprise is only about 8 inches and badly put together.contrast the eaglemoss jjprise with playmates jjprise.the playmates jjprise was a bargain.contrast eaglemoss jjprise with the hot wheels jjprise.the hot wheels jjprise was a bargain.both are no longer being made.so, fair play, these are now relatively expensive.when you compare and contrast this partwork publication by eaglemoss with a rival diecast partwork you see this publication is not a bargain. example in tesco if you wanted to collect a regular issue 'helicopter monthly' you could have got a helicopter replica measuring nearly 12 inches and a glossy factual magazine for £7.99. That is a bargain.even the star wars official starships collection by deagostini was a bargain.
please dont misunderstand me.i like my eaglemoss trek models.i dont mind the 'flaws'.i just dont agree with the marketing which states that these models as highly accurate replicas when they are not.
if you are happy with your purchases, then all well and good.if you want to justify and make excuses for the 'flaws', then please do so.
i am only suggesting that (i) there is a 'bubble' secondary market for some of these models which has nothing to do with supply bottlenecks and nothing to do with the market dynamics of partwork publications and (ii) that the marketing promises more than the model can actually deliver
The Playmates USS Defiant was 20x bigger than the EM one and made entirely of plastic.

The Color of the Galor is off, but it's not green or purple. Looking at pictures of it on Ex Astris Scientia, it's not a million miles from the CG and studio model under unlit conditions.

Well, my Stargazer had straight nacelles.

And finally yeah, the solar sailer was flimsy, but that is entirely down to the design of the ship. They made the model as big as they could to compensate.

The £10 price point for die cast/plastic replicas is fantastic, especially when I was paying £8 per blind box of Japanese Futura toys at conventions, or twice that if I wanted to know what I was buying. And there is literally no competition between the quality of these models. And the JJPrise? The playmates one was £30 new and twice the size. The Hot Wheels one is barely 2 inches long and has terrible detailing. The JJPrise is missing one reg decal on the underside. Mine had wonky nacelles which I managed to pry off and re-glue in under 2 minutes. These are flaws, but in comparison to the rest of the model? I'm sorry, but they are insignificant. The only comparison to be made to existing models are those made in a similar scale and price point, and those are only the Japanese F-Toys/Futura and Johnny Lightning ships. Which were not sold in the shop down the street from me, had to be imported from Japan and (admittedly this is a small thing) you had to build yourself. And the quality varied wildly. 20 issues in to this collection, there has not been that level of quality change.
Exactly. Looking at the ships I've brought (All the Starfleet vessels so far including the JJPrise and DS9) and I don't have any problems with any of the ships looking over them.

Yes, my DS9's lower pylons seem to be a bit more of a jaunty angle than my mates, the Excelsior is really rather small (as will the Enterprise E and B when they're released) which is down to the original designs of those ships and the only (semi) major problem is Defiant's port delta emblem is pointing in the wrong direction which are all things I can live with.

They're a tenner, and for a tenner, they're bloody good value for money.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 02:52 AM   #1160
mswood
Rear Admiral

They made the Enterprise E actually longer then typical, that makes it almost in scale to the Galaxy class. I really wish they would have done the shame with the Excelsior, as it really does seem wee.
Old May 23 2014, 02:01 PM   #1161
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Behind the scenes from StarTrek.com
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 12:11 PM   #1162
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

There bound to be errors in the models which there shouldn't b and like they say they got blueprints of the ships and shouldn't be any mistakes in the official starships collection.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 04:06 PM   #1163
drt
Commander

mswood wrote: View Post
They made the Enterprise E actually longer then typical, that makes it almost in scale to the Galaxy class. I really wish they would have done the shame with the Excelsior, as it really does seem wee.
Yeah, I got my Solar Sailer and Dauntless yesterday, and was surprised at how huge the former was, as I had been operating under the assumption that the fortnightly release versions all had to fit into the same sized box. Wondered why they didn't do the same for Excelsior.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 07:49 PM   #1164
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

drt wrote: View Post
Yeah, I got my Solar Sailer and Dauntless yesterday, and was surprised at how huge the former was, as I had been operating under the assumption that the fortnightly release versions all had to fit into the same sized box. Wondered why they didn't do the same for Excelsior.
Now I'm wondering if "too small for much detail" will be an issue at all anymore in this line? Will the E-B be small like the Excelsior was or will it be a new, larger mold?
Old May 26 2014, 12:46 AM   #1165
Dac
Commodore

About the size of the Solar Sailer, I imagine it's because the SS is thin and weighs nothing as its 95% plastic. That allowed the ship to be bigger at the same cost level. The Excelsior on the other hand has a heft to it, so thats why its the size it is, thanks to having a larger metal content.

That being said, I don't think the Excelsior is THAT small. It's just the way it's designed. I can't imagine the Enterprise-B would be any bigger because it really doesn't "need" it. I mean, did anyone grab the F-Toys Excelsior? That thing is TINY. Sure, the Futura Ent-B was bigger, but its still only roughly the same size as the EM Excelsior.
Old May 27 2014, 09:45 PM   #1166
Sans
Lieutenant

Got the email notification today, status: out for delivery!
Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 10:49 PM   #1167
Markonian
Captain

Today saw the arrival of four more ships, acquired from Ebay.

Voyager has the same scale as the Furuta model but is longer. It reminds me of the comparison between the basic Intrepid class and Mark Rademaker's slipstream drive refit. The EM wins in detail and overall look but, as has been noted elsewhere, the ventral saucer section lacks in detail.

I applied glue to the connector between main hull and saucer section of Defiant because it felt wonky. Excellent model, even with the mirror universe arrowhead.

The D'deridex is something I've been waiting for, for ages, a medium sized Romulan warbird. I do have the AMT model, which is descent but too large to handle comfortably in one hand. I can't wait for the other Romulan ships in the series.

Last but not least, the Stargazer model succeeds in magically turning one of the ugliest ST designs into eye candy. While the trimmed saucer may be insufficiently accurate to the source, it is a definite improvement visually. Good thing I didn't skip that model!
Old May 29 2014, 08:24 AM   #1168
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I managed to pick my copy up of the Enterprise E yesterday and it is a very pretty ship! Right next top the D, it looks tiny though.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 02:26 PM   #1169
Dac
Commodore

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
I managed to pick my copy up of the Enterprise E yesterday and it is a very pretty ship! Right next top the D, it looks tiny though.
Which is how it actually is. :P
Old May 29 2014, 02:49 PM   #1170
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Got my Dauntless and Bajoran Solar Sailor. Shouldn't it be "sailer", BTW? A "sailor" is someone who serves as a member of the crew on a sea-going vessel. Must be a Brit spelling...can't explain it otherwise... These things continue to impress. For a "fake" Fed starship, the Dauntless looks great and fits right in with the rest of them. Even though I generally dislike the newer "arrowhead" designs the Feds came out with in the mid-24th, it still looks nice for what it is.

And as for it being a "fake" Fed ship, the accompanying magazine does mention a passing appearance of another vessel resembling the Dauntless during the battle in Enterprise's "Azati Prime" (forgot about that one). So it could be argued that Starfleet eventually did find value in the design and probably began using the quantum slipstream tech by the time the Enterprise-J came around.

The Solar Sailor (Sailer) is large and beautiful, but extremely fragile-looking. I received it without damage, but kept it in its box for fear that its tiny splines may snap if I removed or replaced it, especially since others here have complained of such damage occurring in shipping.

Looking forward to the Stargazer next month. Not too concerned about its relative thinness in the main hull. Like others have mused, I think it actually looks better that way, and less bulky. So glad I got in on the ground floor with this subscription. I know it's a bit more pricey than most, but I've never experienced buyer's remorse with it, even with the first shoddy refit model, as I knew they would get better.