Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 24 2014, 03:53 PM   #31
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Re: Writing Women

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It does however, need to be taken with a large handful of salt, given the time it was made, when female characters were always behind men, there as basically eye-candy or damsels in distress, and when the miniskirt was a sign of women's liberation. All things that should've been corrected in NuTrek but unfortunately aren't.
Sometimes it's irresistible to take shots at the way TOS shows women because it should know better. A lot of the times the portrayals are just plain funny.

I have a theory that NUTrek is intentionally making fun of the miniskirt idea and exploiting it at the same time. It does look hot the way it is designed, especially as a dress uniform.

I think they're saying 'what's wrong with a sexy uniform design?'.

Here's another gem from TOS;

Sulu: Keep back! Stop or I'll shoot! I don't want to have to kill a woman!.
Technically what he says is right, but at the same time it sounds so not-right.

Last edited by Nightdiamond; May 25 2014 at 01:26 AM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 05:01 PM   #32
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Definition of bitchy: When a woman does something that men get congratulated for doing.

Though I suppose you could say the reverse about men getting called wussy or implied to be homosexual.

Most of the time female characters are written in terms of their relationship with male characters, and written around getting the male part of the audience aroused. You always see undesirable men land attractive women because, of course, he's a good person and thus deserves it just by being so darn nice. But you never seen undesirable women land attractive men. And whenever a female character is portrayed as anything but happy and warm especially toward the protagonist they've been manipulated to root for, the audience turns against her immediately.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 07:03 PM   #33
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

QuarkforNagus wrote: View Post
So far, you seem to be the only one that hasn't offered an opinion, opting only to go back and forth with me, by proving that there are also annoying male characters.

Well, duh...
Dial back the antagonism or your stay at TrekBBS will be a short one.
Old May 24 2014, 07:14 PM   #34
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant

Lighten up.

Wasn't trying to antagonize anyone with my observation.
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 09:41 PM   #35
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Lighten up.

Wasn't trying to antagonize anyone with my observation.
Your "observation" was nothing but snark. Any further comment regarding this can be taken to PM.
Old May 25 2014, 07:43 AM   #36
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Sometimes it's irresistible to take shots at the way TOS shows women because it should know better. A lot of the times the portrayals are just plain funny.
There probably are a few things they wanted to do differently with the occasional female character, but would probably never be allowed to get away with due to studio interference and demands. I always keep in mind that in the first draft of TOS the XO was a woman, a pretty major statement for the time--even more so the fact they made the pilot with her still in place.

Not a thing wrong with that, so long as men are seen wearing the sleeveless and 'skant' uniforms too--who wouldn't want to see NuKirk flashing his legs from the big chair?
Old May 26 2014, 05:38 AM   #37
Lance
Commodore

I like that the OP assumes that 'Whoopi Goldberg' was a character in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

(A surprisingly common stance, actually. I had friends at school who would see my TNG action figures and could identify them all by character name... except Guinan, who was always just called 'Whoopi'.)
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 05:52 AM   #38
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Well, in a sense, 'Whoopi Goldberg' is a character, though she was created by Caryn Johnson and not Star Trek.
Old May 26 2014, 05:50 PM   #39
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Vash - basically Dennis the Menace.
Oh, No. We simply can not have an intelligent, independent (This isn't a starship, Jean-Luc. I don't follow orders.) woman that dares to shake things up a bit. That just won't do.

I love the fact that Ira Steven Behr gave us with Vash a wonderfully written character that personifies the old saying, "Well behaved women don't make the history books." Vash is a fun character!

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old May 26 2014, 05:54 PM   #40
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

I don't understand the point of this thread. Weren't there lots of times when MALE characters were whiny, irritating, impatient, overbearing, ridiculously emotional, etc?

Why is it when FEMALE characters do all of those things, they are suddenly "bitchy"?
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 05:30 PM   #41
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Janeway, Seven, Kira, Jadzia, Ro, Guinan and Torres were all well-written characters, in my opinion.
Jadzia was not a well-written character. She was tolerable at first, but soon turned into the character who was an expert in everything, had done everything, knew everyone, and had an annoying habit of giggling and reminiscing about everyone she knew, everything she had done, etc. She was just so perfect, I hated her. And that was before Worf came along and turned the show into the Worf/Dominion Soap Opera. I was glad when she got killed off - pity it couldn't have been both of them.

Not a thing wrong with that, so long as men are seen wearing the sleeveless and 'skant' uniforms too--who wouldn't want to see NuKirk flashing his legs from the big chair?
No, thank you. And he should also wear a paper bag over his head. I don't enjoy looking at his eyes that are too close together, and I don't like his puffy lips.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 06:04 PM   #42
Metryq
Captain

They fair better than TOS's version-- All the women wear skimpy skirts
THESE ARE THE VOYAGES: SEASON ONE attributes the mini-skirts to Grace Lee Whitney. Prior to that—including the second pilot—the women wore pants.
Old May 27 2014, 06:16 PM   #43
Dennis
The Man

Seven was a great character, and easily the best-known (okay, only-known) Voyager character amongst the public-at-large.
Old May 27 2014, 07:44 PM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Vash is more like a female Indiana Jones.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 09:00 PM   #45
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Vash is more like a female Indiana Jones.
That was exactly who Vash intended to be - a female Indiana Jones.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie