MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 22 2014, 02:30 AM   #1
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Imagine the Enterprise, over again!

Hey everybody. Sorry I haven't had anything new over in the 3D printing thread, but everything has been really busy around here.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about something. Warped9's TOS in the 29th century thread got me started: What if TOS had never existed in the 60s, but was a new show starting out in 2014? With no past history, what would the Enterprise look like?

I've been sketching some things, and looking at lots of concept art, real vehicles, and other things but can't quite get going. All my sketches keep looking to much like what we've seen before.

So what do you guys think? I thought it would be cool if we all had some input!

I'm thinking anything goes... but it probably needs at least some kind of saucer part, and some nacelles of some kind.

Can't wait to see what you guys think up.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 02:47 AM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Imagine the Enterprise, over again!

Hmmm, I'll have to think abit. I would be more inclined to go "clean sheet" and not tie myself to saucers, nacelles, or any of that stuff. My first inclination would be to go for something based a little more on current thinking regarding possible future tech. The tough part would be to make something iconic like the TOS design that separates it from the crowd of current day sci/fi ships.
Old May 22 2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

I think it's hard to get those Trek iconic images out of my head when thinking about it. But we could also use the design principles when the ship model design was commissioned. There should be guidelines.

Since it was your idea, how about pretending you're Gene, and give some things you don't want to see (other than what we have already)? I'm going to sketch some ideas at work. Lots of little sketches LOL. Wait, did I say at work? I mean at work.

Damn.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 01:00 PM   #4
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Thanks guys.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Hmmm, I'll have to think abit. I would be more inclined to go "clean sheet" and not tie myself to saucers, nacelles, or any of that stuff. My first inclination would be to go for something based a little more on current thinking regarding possible future tech. The tough part would be to make something iconic like the TOS design that separates it from the crowd of current day sci/fi ships.
True, clean sheet is what would actually happen if this was really happening. I was hoping we could come up with something almost totally different, but when someone were to see it, they'd be like "is that Star Trek?"

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
I think it's hard to get those Trek iconic images out of my head when thinking about it. But we could also use the design principles when the ship model design was commissioned. There should be guidelines.

Since it was your idea, how about pretending you're Gene, and give some things you don't want to see (other than what we have already)? I'm going to sketch some ideas at work. Lots of little sketches LOL. Wait, did I say at work? I mean at work.

Damn.
Ha, I'd never do anything like that at work either. What else am I going to do while I wait for the servers to do what I told them?

Good idea... his original thing was no rockets, and no flying saucers, right? I'd say I don't want anything that looks too NASA, or anything biological. Lots of surface detail, but not junked up like Star Wars.

I'll be back with some more stuff later.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old May 22 2014, 02:38 PM   #5
BK613
Captain

It is damn difficult, because Trek cast a shadow over what came after it, albeit perhaps not as much as Star Wars. So I think you throw up the NASA stuff on the "don't wall," but perhaps you also throw up the saucer/nacelles as well. OTOH, since the OP posits no ST in the 1960s, maybe you end up with them anyway.

And you look at things like the newest tech and science know-how to determine what your ship could look like and how it could work (i.e., perhaps it is constructed of metamaterials and uses a form of Alcubierre drive.)

And do you keep the aviation nods that MJ included?
Old May 22 2014, 04:44 PM   #6
JES
Captain

My first thought was to simply take a saucer, fuse a fuselage, and then attach nacelles using wings for pylons.

I know that it can't be that simple.

A major consideration is just how advanced the engineering is.

Are they advanced enough to the point that aesthetics can come before function, and thus the ships are as much a form of art as they serve a purpose?

Or is the technology still primitive enough to a point where form follows function, and thus aesthetics is the last thing thought of during the design process?

I think that the differences in shape between, say the vessels depicted in Star Trek and Babylon 5, I cannot help but think illustrates this in a microcosm form, and not just because they are from completely different television series, but also because of technology. Earth Alliance in Babylon 5 namely lacks shield and artificial gravity technology, which the Federation has, even though the two series exists in the relatively same time period.
The differences between the Constitution class, and the more sculpt-like Galaxy class further illustrates the part that technology plays in determining how a ship will look.

Seeing as how the prevalent current theory seems to indicate that warp propulsion would use ring shaped unit(s), my current idea is using that, attached to a fuselage via a pair of wings, or even by an additional dorsal and ventral set of tail fins. The command hull would still be saucer shaped, fused directly to the fuselage, due to how great a shape it seems aesthetically, aerodynamically, and space-wise.

A triangular or an oval shape, or deviations thereof, could also work aesthetically as a command hull.

A more primitive technology might use a sphere shaped command hull instead, due to having even more room in it's influence, and being an efficient shape pressure-wise.

The sublight forms of propulsion could be placed on/in the command hull, or in the wings and fins (or both).

Another consideration to take into account is how volatile the power source is, and whether or not the forms of propulsion are hazardous, and if so, how much.

Will the power source and/or warp drive need to be easy separate from the inhabited parts of the ship?
This might determine how much the sections of the ship are all fused and integrated with one another.
This might also determine where most of the living quarters on the ship are.

Our understanding of how a warp drive might work could shape the look of the inside of the propulsion unit. For example, the Casimir Effect might be an essential part of the mechanism, which theorizes enough negative energy needed to warp space could be done by using two parallel plates.
If I understand the theory, the idea would be to place a pair of plates nano-meters apart, and then rotate the two in opposite directions, really fast like. This gives me the idea of these plates being rings instead: one outer, larger ring, and one smaller, inner ring, rotating in opposite directions at very high speeds. This would create the warp field.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 06:26 PM   #7
MadMan1701A
Commodore

BK613 wrote: View Post
It is damn difficult, because Trek cast a shadow over what came after it, albeit perhaps not as much as Star Wars. So I think you throw up the NASA stuff on the "don't wall," but perhaps you also throw up the saucer/nacelles as well. OTOH, since the OP posits no ST in the 1960s, maybe you end up with them anyway.

And you look at things like the newest tech and science know-how to determine what your ship could look like and how it could work (i.e., perhaps it is constructed of metamaterials and uses a form of Alcubierre drive.)

And do you keep the aviation nods that MJ included?
Very good points... I think the hardest part is that the Enterprise is so iconic. If we ditch the saucer and nacelles, I worry we won't have something recognizable, at all.

yep, Aviation nods definitely.

JES wrote: View Post
My first thought was to simply take a saucer, fuse a fuselage, and then attach nacelles using wings for pylons.

I know that it can't be that simple.

A major consideration is just how advanced the engineering is.

Are they advanced enough to the point that aesthetics can come before function, and thus the ships are as much a form of art as they serve a purpose?

Or is the technology still primitive enough to a point where form follows function, and thus aesthetics is the last thing thought of during the design process?

I think that the differences in shape between, say the vessels depicted in Star Trek and Babylon 5, I cannot help but think illustrates this in a microcosm form, and not just because they are from completely different television series, but also because of technology. Earth Alliance in Babylon 5 namely lacks shield and artificial gravity technology, which the Federation has, even though the two series exists in the relatively same time period.
The differences between the Constitution class, and the more sculpt-like Galaxy class further illustrates the part that technology plays in determining how a ship will look.

Seeing as how the prevalent current theory seems to indicate that warp propulsion would use ring shaped unit(s), my current idea is using that, attached to a fuselage via a pair of wings, or even by an additional dorsal and ventral set of tail fins. The command hull would still be saucer shaped, fused directly to the fuselage, due to how great a shape it seems aesthetically, aerodynamically, and space-wise.

A triangular or an oval shape, or deviations thereof, could also work aesthetically as a command hull.

A more primitive technology might use a sphere shaped command hull instead, due to having even more room in it's influence, and being an efficient shape pressure-wise.

The sublight forms of propulsion could be placed on/in the command hull, or in the wings and fins (or both).

Another consideration to take into account is how volatile the power source is, and whether or not the forms of propulsion are hazardous, and if so, how much.

Will the power source and/or warp drive need to be easy separate from the inhabited parts of the ship?
This might determine how much the sections of the ship are all fused and integrated with one another.
This might also determine where most of the living quarters on the ship are.

Our understanding of how a warp drive might work could shape the look of the inside of the propulsion unit. For example, the Casimir Effect might be an essential part of the mechanism, which theorizes enough negative energy needed to warp space could be done by using two parallel plates.
If I understand the theory, the idea would be to place a pair of plates nano-meters apart, and then rotate the two in opposite directions, really fast like. This gives me the idea of these plates being rings instead: one outer, larger ring, and one smaller, inner ring, rotating in opposite directions at very high speeds. This would create the warp field.
Very good points. I'm thinking level of tech would be closer to TOS than Bab5... form should still follow function, but with some aesthetic thought put into it. I definitely don't want the thing to be a flying sculpture.

I like your ideas for the Casimir Effect Engines... we could have something like that for nacelles. two or more rings rotating, in a structure that looks vaguely similar to a warp engine, but hollow all the way through.

Those things would need to be away from the habitation areas, in case of failure and/or radiation. Definitely no red glowing domes on the things, either... maybe some stuff going on inside, though.

Keep going, guys.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old May 22 2014, 06:44 PM   #8
1701TPA
Lieutenant

I AM SURE YOU HAVE SEEN THIS BUT ITS KINDA COOL AND ITS THE ENTERPRISE ; )

Mark Rademaker NASA DESIGN WARP SHIP
http://crowlspace.com/

IMAGE:
http://crowlspace.com/wp-content/upl...terprise-2.jpg

IMAGE http://crowlspace.com/wp-content/upl...terprise-3.jpg
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 07:17 PM   #9
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Yeah, those are cool, for sure.

JES, you said a word earlier that I liked. You mentioned Triangular when you were talking about the command hull, and I like that! I'm thinking of making that a theme along the whole ship.

I'm also thinking Matter / Antimatter will be the main power source... I don't think much else would be enough. I'm also thinking that the reactors should power both the FTL and sublight engines. Speaking of, should they be ion engines?

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old May 22 2014, 08:39 PM   #10
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

1701TPA wrote: View Post
IMG]http://mail.4newrenart.com/s.gif[/IMG]
IMAGE http://crowlspace.com/wp-content/upl...terprise-3.jpg
I can't really draw or use graphics programs very well, but thankfully, someone else was on my wavelength (or I guess I was on theirs, since they did this before I read this thread), because this is very very close to what I was thinking of.
MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
Speaking of, should they be ion engines?
If we're trying to come as close to current tech understanding as possible while still building something that functions more or less as the Enterprise, I would think Alcubierre drive for long distance (warp), and ion engines for "impulse". Our ship isn't going to be pulling any fighter plane maneuvers on ion drive, though - she'll be more like a large naval vessel, for sure.
Old May 22 2014, 09:10 PM   #11
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Ion drives are a terrible choice. They have a tiny TWR and would take months just to leave orbit.

If you want something realistic I would look at Internal Confinement Fusion.
Old May 23 2014, 03:34 AM   #12
Soran77
Lieutenant

Don't Everyone start screaming at me at once. I know this is a total rip off of Warped9's ship, but I wanted to see if I could achieve the same overall shapes and look of the ship. I'm also using Sketchup. Warped9's inspired me to try my hand at this. So this ship is a total compliment to him!

Soran77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 04:03 AM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

In designing something from scratch I think you first have to have some kind of concept in mind. Is it near future, far future, hard science based or speculative in nature? What do you want to reflect in your design?

If I were doing an FTL design non Trek one idea I've had was fitted with what I called jump sails or warp sails. Essentially it was two stylish wing like structures above and below the vessel (or on each side) that functioned somewhat similar to warp nacelles. I got the idea from the notion of a Casimir battery or engine where the sails are the plates creating an area of space allowing the ship to go FTL.

I've got a pic somewhere. I'll try to find it.

My 29th century Enterprise is a speculation on rebooting TOS for 2014 while maintaining certain TOS attributes. While in doing so I also went outside of Trek for added inspiration.
Old May 23 2014, 06:06 AM   #14
Warped9
Admiral

Actually someday I plan to model this design.
Old May 23 2014, 07:55 AM   #15
sojourner
Vice Admiral

OK, here's a really rough sketch using some primitive forms of the direction I've been thinking. Probably over influenced from watching Hunt for Red October yesterday.