Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 1 2014, 04:54 AM   #331
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

It's Rotten Tomatoes score has dropped steadily for the last week, now in the low 60's
Old May 7 2014, 01:06 AM   #332
Servo
Rear Admiral

I finally saw this tonight. My review is more of a plea, really...

Dear Sony,

Please do us all a favour and just give the Spider-Man rights back to Marvel. They know how to handle their characters/universe. You do not.

And, while you're at it, please also quit this crap about stand-alone Venom and Sinister Six films. Nobody wants to see them, and you'll only cock them up anyway.

Cheers.
Old May 7 2014, 05:08 AM   #333
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I watched the review below. It gave away every aspect of the film, spoilers and all, but it was mercifully shorter, and more entertaining than the film could ever be.
Old May 7 2014, 01:56 PM   #334
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Ethros wrote: View Post
Well, keep in mind the people who make the movie and the people who make the trailers are usually two different groups and the people who make the trailer want to get you to see the movie so they're going to go with shots/scenes that will most likely get butts in the seats, spoilers be dammed.
Old May 7 2014, 02:07 PM   #335
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I like how Max's apartment is lit by lightbulbs from 1924.
Old May 20 2014, 12:07 AM   #336
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

With a gross of $172 million-plus so far, I don't know if this movie is exceeding expectations or turning out to be a disappointment.
Old May 20 2014, 02:20 AM   #337
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

It's the latter.

The reboot, TASM, did $262m US domestic, down from the Raimi saga where all entries tallied $300m+

TASM2 isn't going to make $225m US domestic, probably closer to $210-215m and several global territories are underperforming vs TASM.

I fully expect to hear several things:
1- That TASM3 is being pushed back for creative reasons.
2-That the Sinister Six and Venom spinoff movies are placed on hold if not outright cancelled.
3-That someone(s) is fired at SONY
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 02:30 AM   #338
Christopher
Writer

Servo wrote: View Post
Please do us all a favour and just give the Spider-Man rights back to Marvel. They know how to handle their characters/universe. You do not.
Actually I think this movie handled Spider-Man himself better than any previous live-action movie ever has. The action, the banter, the personality, the fact that they let him keep his mask on -- it was perfect. And it handled Gwen fantastically (except that the climax wasn't as good as the version Gerry Conway wrote). It just didn't handle the villains well.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 06:07 AM   #339
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Spidey himself was almost the only thing in the film worth my time and money. As much as it would pain me for Spidey to crowd out another Marvel project, I do now wish Marvel could get him back.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 06:09 AM   #340
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I fully expect to hear several things:
1- That TASM3 is being pushed back for creative reasons.
2-That the Sinister Six and Venom spinoff movies are placed on hold if not outright cancelled.
3-That someone(s) is fired at SONY
I don't know if anyone's going to get fired at the studio. But did they really think that the tragic turn of events near the film's end would be rewarded with repeat viewings? My own reaction was "Screw this! I will not watch Gwen die again."
Old May 20 2014, 07:59 AM   #341
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Rumor-- Sony has signed Andrew Garfield for FOUR MORE Spidey films until 2020!

My question (if true) is-- are these all Spidey solo movies, or does this include the otherwise iffy Sinister Six and Venom movies?
Old May 20 2014, 12:28 PM   #342
Mr Light
Admiral

I think it would be really cool if they do do a Sinister Six or Venom movie to have it be from the POV of the villain and then Spider-Man is the "villain" they fight at the end of the movie.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 04:38 PM   #343
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Christopher wrote: View Post
Actually I think this movie handled Spider-Man himself better than any previous live-action movie ever has. The action, the banter, the personality, the fact that they let him keep his mask on -- it was perfect. And it handled Gwen fantastically (except that the climax wasn't as good as the version Gerry Conway wrote). It just didn't handle the villains well.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think Garfield is a fantastic Spider-Man.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 08:58 PM   #344
Servo
Rear Admiral

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think Garfield is a fantastic Spider-Man.
Ok, sure, I can't argue with you guys about Garfield. His Spidey/Peter Parker, and Emma Stone's Gwen Stacey, were by far the best things about this film. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough.

Everything else seemed too forced and contrived. The relationship and conflict between Peter and Harry was completely unbelievable, and paled in comparison to their Raimi-verse counterparts. The performances from Garfield and DeHaan were as good as they could be, given the material, but it was too rushed. In what felt like 10 minutes they'd gone from not having spoken for years, to best buds skipping stones down by the river. As a consequence, I felt there was no emotional impact at all from the conflict that arose between them.

And staying on the topic of Harry, I thought the whole journey of being told about the disease, searching for a cure, and becoming the Goblin escalated far too quickly. This should have been something that progressed over a couple of films, rather than being crammed into one.

Electro was just poor. Which was a massive shame, since I was really looking forward to seeing what Foxx could do with a villain in a Superhero film.

All in all, it felt like Spider-Man 3 all over again. Poorly executed villains, and too much happening too quickly. At least that film had the luxury of the character groundwork done by the previous two films to fall back on.

Columbia and Sony have had their shot now. I'd like to see what Marvel can do with the character, given the stellar job they've done with their other properties.
Old May 20 2014, 09:08 PM   #345
Christopher
Writer

By the way, I recall that there was an attempt made by the makers of The Avengers to include ASM's Oscorp Tower in their digital Manhattan, but the timing didn't work out so the implied crossover couldn't happen. And now it seems that the makers of ASM2 have abandoned any possibility of such a stealth crossover, because there was a shot of Oscorp Tower just a few blocks to the northwest of the MetLife Building -- which in the MCU has been rebuilt into Stark/Avengers Tower, but is clearly its old self in the Sony Spideyverse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote