Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 16 2014, 08:05 PM   #46
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: What it means to be a trekkie

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
AtoZ wrote: View Post

Odd thing about those that were doing the ridicule. They, in almost all cases, were the ones lining up to go see The Muppet Movie...something I would never have done if even under the threat of death. And I was "the nerd"?
Hey, "The Muppet Movie" is great!

Trust me, you can be a Trekkie and still enjoy the Muppets.
I agree too.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 12:07 AM   #47
AtoZ
Commander

bbjeg wrote: View Post
AtoZ wrote: View Post

Odd thing about those that were doing the ridicule. They, in almost all cases, were the ones lining up to go see The Muppet Movie...something I would never have done if even under the threat of death. And I was "the nerd"?
Hey, "The Muppet Movie" is great!

Trust me, you can be a Trekkie and still enjoy the Muppets.
I agree too.
I agree you can be both, but that wasn't my original point.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 02:27 PM   #48
Vandervecken
Commander

How about Trekker vs Trekkie? I make that distinction, and I'm the first. If folks want to wear Spock ears with other folks who learn Klingon, and go to conventions everywhere or even eventually model their homes on the Enterprise or 24th-century earth, that's fine, but it's not my thing. I just like watching Trek in most of its incarnations, and knowing a lot about episode minutiae and chewing over stuff with peeps on this site. That's enough for me.
Old May 18 2014, 02:28 PM   #49
Vandervecken
Commander

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Sports teams represent the pride of entire communities, towns and cities. Olympic sports represent entire countries. Perhaps, that's why?
My husband isn't from the city that his football team represents. He's never lived there. Maybe its different in the US.
Dallas fan?
Old May 18 2014, 02:36 PM   #50
Vandervecken
Commander

HIjol wrote: View Post
It's odd. I hear a lot about the "stigma," and I've heard the jokes on TV, but I can't say I've ever experienced it personally. Maybe this is an issue if you're still in high school and trying to fit in, but, in the adult world, I honestly can't remember anyone ever giving me a hard time about being a Trekkie. Not my friends, not my family, not my neighbors . . . .

And I'm hardly secretive about it.
...my home has a certain ST look about it...if you look, you will find things...I am not ashamed, either...but I have experienced the eye rolls and the. "...you gotta be kidding me..."

...there does not seem to be a gender or age or geography to it...but, interestingly enough, if I were to stereotype the unwashed
-er...sorry...um, ....those that do not like Star Trek (and cannot see the light and feel the rapture...oo, damn keyboard...what the hell) if I were to do that! I would say the majority of the Rollers of Eyes lack that spark of child and wonder and imagination...I am sure they have other fine, valuable qualities...seriously...

...I do not mean those that like SW over ST, or Dr. Who forever or one genre over another...I mean those that do not care for the whole thing...those who are more serious, less willing to suspend the disbelief...get into the fiction cum reality of it...starting to babble now, but I hope I have managed to explain without offending...

But, I'd bet a good percentage of even those folks are watching Game of Thrones and/or True Blood, and probably a bunch have watched the Harry Potter movies (the third of which I have less than zero interest in, myself; and I was sort of dragged into watching GoT and TB by my girlfriend, although I've ended up enjoying both). Your point does resonate---I feel there's some validity to it too--but it does also seem that there can be exceptions. Maybe water-cooler syndrome would explain why there seem to be some exceptions? Office mates are talking about it, so they want to as well?
Old May 18 2014, 03:03 PM   #51
Let the Good Times Roll!!

^ Please learn to use the multi-quote function.

Thanks.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 03:16 AM   #52
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
How about Trekker vs Trekkie? I make that distinction, and I'm the first. If folks want to wear Spock ears with other folks who learn Klingon, and go to conventions everywhere or even eventually model their homes on the Enterprise or 24th-century earth, that's fine, but it's not my thing. I just like watching Trek in most of its incarnations, and knowing a lot about episode minutiae and chewing over stuff with peeps on this site. That's enough for me.
A Trekker is what a Trekkie calls himself when he's embarrassed by the word "Trekkie".

I've never worn Spock ears, don't speak Klingon and can count the number of cons I've been to on one hand. A movie poster is the most visual piece of memorabilia in my home. I'm a Trekkie because I enjoy Star Trek. That's all it takes. How you express that enjoyment is up to the individual fan.
Old May 19 2014, 07:14 AM   #53
Mario de Monti
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
A Trekker is what a Trekkie calls himself when he's embarrassed by the word "Trekkie".
Or when he/she thinks, they´re something "better" than the average Star Trek fan.

I've never worn Spock ears, don't speak Klingon and can count the number of cons I've been to on one hand. A movie poster is the most visual piece of memorabilia in my home. I'm a Trekkie because I enjoy Star Trek. That's all it takes. How you express that enjoyment is up to the individual fan.
This

Although I recently bought a bathrobe in the style of a TOS science uniform and I can´t wait to wear it the next time I go to the sauna and see if I get some reactions from people

Mario
Old May 19 2014, 01:45 PM   #54
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I wore Spock ears to a formal dinner once. To annoy people. Got some laughs.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 02:22 PM   #55
Vandervecken
Commander

Nope and wrongo. I'm not "embarrassed [to be called] a Trekkie"--it's simply inaccurate; no more accurate than calling a reform Jew a Conservative Jew, for example. A Trekkie does all the extra stuff I just mentioned. That you don't and still choose to call yourself a "Trekkie" simply makes you unorthodox and/or unwilling to accept certain consensus definitions; it doesn't disqualify the distinction. A Trekker just watches the shows/movies, loves them, and knows a lot about them. That's a distinction, and it's one with a difference. You can all yourself whatever you want, but sometimes nomenclature does expand to encompass more nuance, and this is one of those sometimes.

Last edited by Vandervecken; May 19 2014 at 02:42 PM.
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 02:26 PM   #56
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Kristi wrote: View Post
My name is Kristi and i am writing a final paper on Trekkies/ star trek fans. i need to answer these three questions:

-Why is there still a stigma around the star trek fandom when their fandom is so large and popular today?
Not sure the fandom is that popular outside us trekkies. We are certainly popular amongst ourselves and trek is a wonderful community, but probably still aren't accepted by the masses. The commitment of this fanbase is really pretty astounding though. Just go online and see ho many Trek conventions are held each year around the world. You'll see nothing like that for any other single franchise. COMIC CONS are popular, but they include a few genres. The Trek Vegas con for instance draws about 25,000 fans each year. That's pretty amazing if you think about it. Trek has been off TV for almost 10 years.

-How does the mainstream fuel the stigma to the trekkie fire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

-How do trekkies see themselves in contrast to how everyone else does?
I'd say the lions share say it's no different than supporting a sports franchise. "Football fans can dress up and it's cool"... same thing for Trek conventions.

Any thoughts or comments or thoughts? I would really appreciate some feedback! Thank you guys for helping!
Hope your research proves fruitfull

Last edited by Yanks; May 20 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 02:27 PM   #57
Vandervecken
Commander

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Or when he/she thinks, they´re something "better" than the average Star Trek fan.
Some insecurity/defensiveness here, it seems, in more than one case.

Take a look at what I wrote. I made no value judgments. I wrote "that's fine" regarding what I consider the general hallmarks of Trekkies as opposed to Trekkers. I don't think I'm better than the average Trek fan; I think I AM an average Trek fan. One who fits one of two broad subcategories. Both of equal worth, if the meaning of "worthiness" in some general sense even has any relevance when discussing a fandom.
Old May 19 2014, 02:53 PM   #58
Mario de Monti
Captain

Sorry if you feel offended; my remark wasn´t directed at you. It is merely an observation I made when talking to various Trek fans over the years.

Personally, I think whether you call yourself (or someone else) a "Trekkie", "Trekker", "Star Trek fan", or whatever is a matter of personal preference and really makes no difference whatsoever in "categorizing" fans. YMMV of course

Mario
Old May 19 2014, 03:07 PM   #59
Robert Comsol
Commodore

That is not the original distinction I remember from the "veterans" of our fanzine back in 1980.

Back in the 1970's and 1980's you had fans interested mostly in the concepts of Star Trek ("Trekkers") and you had fans mostly interested in the actors ("Trekkies").

Over the years "Trekkies" became the dominant nickname for the general public, but I don't like the "cute" connotation.

After all, "Trekky" sounds rather like a name for a pet or a nickname for a child. YMMV.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 05:04 PM   #60
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'm fine with "Trekkie." I'm also inclined to think that a "Trekker' is just a Trekkie who is putting on airs. And insisting that "No, I'm a Trekker, not a Trekkie" is just going to make most people roll their eyes . . . which is probably the opposite of what you're going for.

I'm a Trekkie and proud of it.