RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 428
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 17 2014, 01:03 AM   #76
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: Fridge horror for The Apple

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I believe they were feeding it the explosive rocks, but otherwise, yeah, totally.

Plus, the episode suffers from what I think of as "small planet syndrome": everything relevant to the entire planet takes place around the one beam-down site.

That's right, it was explosive rocks Vaal needed so often. To be fair, they were only "five hour energy" explosive rocks.

And I didn't have a name for it, but small planet syndrome is a peeve of mine. It happens whenever we're dealing with pre-industrial natives. In "Errand of Mercy" and "Friday's Child," village elders are treated like planetary rulers and preposterously given the right to decide things they do not understand.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 01:05 AM   #77
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Pretty sure no highly complex piece of machinary is going to react well to throwing the equivalent of dynamite down it's throat.
Old May 17 2014, 04:38 AM   #78
Christopher
Writer

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
And I didn't have a name for it, but small planet syndrome is a peeve of mine. It happens whenever we're dealing with pre-industrial natives. In "Errand of Mercy" and "Friday's Child," village elders are treated like planetary rulers and preposterously given the right to decide things they do not understand.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Pre-industrial doesn't mean stupid. Besides, we give Congress the right to decide things they don't understand, whenever scientific issues come up for a vote.

And what was it exactly that the Teers of the Ten Tribes of Capella were incapable of understanding? The Federation's agreement with them was for the rights to mine ore in their territory. Anyone beyond the Stone Age can understand that. Presumably they negotiated with that particular population because they had the land where the topaline mines were.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 07:11 PM   #79
Marsden
Captain

I know there really isn't anything to support this, but I always thought the natives were geneticly engineered and grown by Vaal. If they need a replacement, it clones out another one.

But of course that isn't the writer's premise, otherwise of all of the thousands of things that Kirk could have noticed when seeing the village, first thing out of no where is " where are the children?" I find that assinine. Then the whole "biology" discussion in the hut. Ugh. Those parts really kill this for me, whether it's stones or melons the horned gorn eats (Vaal).
Old May 19 2014, 09:20 PM   #80
foxhot
Fleet Captain

The look on Spock's face as he drops from the thorns rather takes the drama out of it. One of Nimoy's few unintentionally silly moments.
Old May 20 2014, 03:24 AM   #81
drt
Commander

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Plus, the episode suffers from what I think of as "small planet syndrome": everything relevant to the entire planet takes place around the one beam-down site.
In this particular case, I thought that site was chosen because of strange sensor readings they'd detected, so it makes sense they arrived near Vaal as I'd assume it was the cause of said readings..
drt is offline   Reply With Quote