Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 16 2014, 06:04 AM   #31
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Race & Spider-Man: Sony Confirms a Glass Ceiling for Miles Morales

BigJake wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Have black Peter Parker beat up racists just to make a point?
Yes. Yes. With lots of Parliament Funkadelic playing in the background.
I'm torn. On the one hand, I love Parliament and think any excuse to get their music to a wider audience is worth it. But considering this particular idea, I feel the need to revise my statement to almost any excuse.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 06:26 AM   #32
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

So Sony will shove a Sinister Six Prequel (ASM2) and a Sinister Six movie down our throats. But they won't pick up on a Spider-Team Up? There loss.

Imagine 2 Spider-Men vs this Oscorp Legion of Doom! lol

M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 12:30 PM   #33
Mr Light
Admiral

<< Personally, if there ever was one, I'd rather keep them separate...but I can see the appeal of that approach.>>

Separate but equal was overturned in '54

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:50 PM   #34
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
How about a rebooted Spidey series where Parker Parker (as an already well-known Spider-Man, ie: no origin story needed) dies very early on in the first film and inspires the newly powered Morales to take up the mantle? ...Or I can see that back-firing if fans rage against being tricked into seeing a Spidey movie "where he's barely in it".
No, all that they have to do is have the same accident happen to Miles (who's an employee of Peter's new company Parker Enterprises), have Peter realize this fact, team up with Miles later on, fight alongside him, and then die, passing the torch. Just like what happened in the recent Zorro movies.

What would be even better is if at the same time, May Parker also decides to help out and be Spider-Girl, with both becoming a duo and fighting crime in New York (along with Arana, the other Spider-Girl.)
Shaka Zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 09:04 PM   #35
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I can *almost* see the logic in this in a, "the unfamiliar public only knows Peter Parker as Spider-man" sort of way. But I don't see why that need completely rule Miles Morales out. They could introduce him as a secondary character/side-kick in a movie, have Peter die or retire in the same movie (or next one) and let Miles then carry the torch.

Introduce him slowly enough and over the course of maybe a couple of movies and you could get the audience familiar with the character.
Old May 16 2014, 09:39 PM   #36
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The thing is, Peter Parker is such a neutral character, his skin color makes no difference.

Black Superman would be very different. A black kid ("adopted" by white parents perhaps?) growing up in a small town in Kansas...
Are you under the impression there are no African-Americans living in rural or smalltown America? Kansas was actually a destination for freed slaves before and after the Civil War.
Old May 16 2014, 09:44 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

This character has only existed for three years to less than stellar sales, I'm not sure why he would be expected to be part of the Spider-Man films at this point.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 10:31 PM   #38
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
This character has only existed for three years to less than stellar sales, I'm not sure why he would be expected to be part of the Spider-Man films at this point.
That's not entirely accurate. Before Marvel "killed" 616 Peter off and replaced him with the "Superior Spider-Man". Ultimate Spider-Man was outselling his mainstream counterpart. Superior Spider and Amazing Spider (now that Peter is alive again) sales are were/are stronger than Ultimates now, but in 2012 Miles was the main man.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 10:31 PM   #39
tighr
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I would question whether or not Sony would have the rights to Miles Morales as a specific character in the first place. The movie rights were sold to Columbia (who was then bought by Sony) back in the 90s, and I harbor doubts that the contract would be worded so vaguely that Sony would automatically hold the rights to a character created within the last five years.
This is likely a huge reason.
I am not a lawyer, but I would imagine the contract Columbia originally signed probably included the entire Spider-Man universe, past, present, and future. This would allow them to make films based on upcoming Spider-Man comics that hadn't been released at the time of the comics. The fact that Miles Morales wasn't around at the time doesn't matter, because he's part of the universe.

Although I agree that it would be cool for a spider character to show up in the Avengers as a huge eff-you to Sony.
Old May 16 2014, 10:49 PM   #40
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Well, the 'whole universe' thing seems unlikely, given that Kingpin and Ben Urich appeared in the Daredevil film (Fox owned that character at the time, IIRC).
Old May 16 2014, 11:08 PM   #41
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
That's not entirely accurate. Before Marvel "killed" 616 Peter off and replaced him with the "Superior Spider-Man". Ultimate Spider-Man was outselling his mainstream counterpart. Superior Spider and Amazing Spider (now that Peter is alive again) sales are were/are stronger than Ultimates now, but in 2012 Miles was the main man.
Only because the book was riding the hype from them killing Ultimate Peter Parker and replacing him with Miles in the first place much like the stunt with SSM.
Old May 16 2014, 11:19 PM   #42
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I was glancing at the 2012 sales calculated on this site and I'm seeing various 616 Spider-Man titles in the top 25 and the Ultimate title in the 30-40 range.
Old May 17 2014, 02:11 AM   #43
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
That'd be hilarious if Marvel owned the rights to Miles Morales, so they could put HIM in the Avengers films but not Peter Parker
He would have to have a different code name -- Arachnid, Iron Spider, something that wasn't "Spider-Man." But then it would get tricky, because Sony could argue in court that Marvel was diluting their film rights to an arachnid-powered super-hero.
Arachnid-powered? Here's Marvel's rebuttal — "Sony never argued that The Scorpion King diluted the first Spider-Man."
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 05:00 AM   #44
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
(who's an employee of Peter's new company Parker Enterprises)
Old May 17 2014, 05:15 AM   #45
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Parker Enterprises was established by Doc Ock while crashing in Peter's body. Ock also got a doctorate while in Pete's body, so he is technically now "Dr. Parker."