RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 497
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2014, 11:52 AM   #421
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Well, it was only a matter of time. With the new SKU, owning both consoles will be a much more streamlined experience from the perspective of my wallet.

The only real impact of the new Xbox SKU for me personally is that the decision on which platform to get first has become all about the software now (as was inevitable).

As attractive exclusives still aren't available and my gaming PC does a great job of overshadowing any appeal of available current-gen console titles, it'll probably come down to my never-quite-subsided Halo fanboyism.
Old May 15 2014, 03:37 AM   #422
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

So the Kinect thing was all just a scam...
Old May 15 2014, 09:36 AM   #423
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

No.. it was MS attempt to force something down the throat of the customer that they didn't want so they could have their vision fulfilled.

Customer said screw you (one of the rare instances) and MS has no basically rolled back all the crap they tried to pull with the XOne so the ship doesn't sink further. It remains to be seen if the XOne now gets some more units sold but the damage to the public perception is done and may prove irreversible for a long time.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 06:59 PM   #424
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Now see, here's what I'm wondering in all this. The mandatory Kinect meant a 10% overhead in the overall processing. That had to account for some of the sacrifices they've made to things like framerate and general performance, and I wonder if now they'll tweak things to reallocate that 10% where it's really needed. The Kinect is like a resource-intensive antivirus program, always in background, and I think anybody who's tried to game in the past with one of them knows what I'm talking about.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 07:22 PM   #425
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Kinect sucks for the most part. The microphone/voice command aspect of it is kind of cool for certain things. As far as games go... they never came up with anything good for the damned thing. Maybe they really really thought Kinect Sports Rivals would be an awesome showcase that got the casuals interested in parting with their $500. Now that its come out to zero hype and middling reviews they've finally given up.

It's so weird how committed they were to the concept without ever coming up with a true 'killer app' across two generations of the thing.
Old May 15 2014, 07:36 PM   #426
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Kinect is far better suited for other, non-game applications anyways.

Kinect input simply makes no proper sense for game controls. That's why there hasn't been a "killer app" for it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 08:00 PM   #427
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Now see, here's what I'm wondering in all this. The mandatory Kinect meant a 10% overhead in the overall processing. That had to account for some of the sacrifices they've made to things like framerate and general performance, and I wonder if now they'll tweak things to reallocate that 10% where it's really needed. The Kinect is like a resource-intensive antivirus program, always in background, and I think anybody who's tried to game in the past with one of them knows what I'm talking about.
MS is already talking to publishers about these available 10% power and how to utilize them, they've noticed.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The Kinect is far better suited for other, non-game applications anyways.

Kinect input simply makes no proper sense for game controls. That's why there hasn't been a "killer app" for it.
Because you need the controls to work perfectly 99.9% in a non-perfect environment (i.e. standard living room).. Kinect doesn't.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 12:56 PM   #428
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Now we just need Nintendo to follow suit and release a $199 Wii U without the tablet controller.
Nintendo can't do that because it would break every single game that has tablet-specific features.

Besides, that wouldn't help move a lot more Wii Us.
Old May 16 2014, 05:30 PM   #429
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

John Lewis in the UK put the Wii U basic model on sale with a game for £119 this morning and sold out in less than half an hour. I think things like that prove that all the Wii U needs is a price cut.
Old May 16 2014, 08:01 PM   #430
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
MS is already talking to publishers about these available 10% power and how to utilize them, they've noticed.
Good to know. I'm curious to see where it will lead for them.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Now we just need Nintendo to follow suit and release a $199 Wii U without the tablet controller.
Nintendo can't do that because it would break every single game that has tablet-specific features.

Yeah, not to mention that doing so would bring them right back to square one. They'd likely have to abandon the hardcore gamers and focus on the casual users which were a big part of the success of the original Wii. The problem being, those users don't see a reason to upgrade from a Wii to a Wii U, and would need a compelling reason for doing so and Nintendo would have to do a far better job at marketing it than it did the first time around. It's a bit late in the game to be doing that though and would likely cost too much to try to rebuild momentum.
Old May 17 2014, 03:46 AM   #431
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Mario Kart is getting pretty good reviews and will be out in a couple of weeks. C'mon Nintendo, cut your console price, advertise the shit out of Mario Kart and get some consoles out there. I mean, I already have mine, but I don't want the platform to up and die.
Old May 17 2014, 04:03 AM   #432
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Mario Kart is getting pretty good reviews and will be out in a couple of weeks. C'mon Nintendo, cut your console price, advertise the shit out of Mario Kart and get some consoles out there. I mean, I already have mine, but I don't want the platform to up and die.
They may not be able to lower the price. I know that unusually for them, the Wii U was being sold at a loss; given their traditionally low attach rate, they can't necessarily count on game sales making that up if most people are only going to have 3-4 games (Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and a Zelda or two).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 04:57 AM   #433
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, cutting the console price would just cost them more money. Their best bet is to cultivate the small (but hopefully loyal) following they have with the Wii U and try to get as many titles sold through as possible. The system is a failure in terms of market share as well as Nintendo's expectations. At this point, all they can do is damage control.
Old May 17 2014, 05:08 AM   #434
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

I know. I just want a Wii U for $199 and a controller that doesn't make my hands tired. At least the Pro Controller is pretty cool, but you have to buy it separately.

All Nintendo can do at this point is slow their bleeding and hang on until the next generation. They have more than enough money in the bank and the 3DS is very profitable, so they won't be pulling a Sega any time soon. And given their modest sales forecast for 2014 (something like 3 million Wii Us world wide) even they have accepted this fate. Maybe this new Quality of Life stuff will work out for them. Who knows.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 05:55 AM   #435
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

If I were Nintendo, I'd be pushing trailers onto the original Wii to show what people are missing by not getting a Wii U. Then again, lots of those never have connected it to the internet.

If the console business doesn't work out for them anymore, there's always the playing cards they could go back to doing originally