Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your grade?
A+ 25 36.76%
A 20 29.41%
A- 4 5.88%
B+ 2 2.94%
B 9 13.24%
B- 4 5.88%
C+ 2 2.94%
C 2 2.94%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 18 2014, 07:29 PM   #196
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

^^True, but let's face it...her big sister's a pretty blond who brings snowmen to life and makes ice castles by gesturing and stomping her feet. No amount of niceness and pluckiness is competing with that.

Dream wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
At this point somebody should start organizing "The Church of Elsa." We'd give Scientology a run for its money.
I think it has become more of a cult now.
But "church" sounds nicer, and it would be tax exempt!

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 03:48 AM   #197
Dream
Admiral

Frozen passed Transformers 3 and Return of the King to become the sixth biggest movie worldwide

Big thanks to Japan!

The 400 million domestic milestone should be reached by next weekend. Captain America is doing great too!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 03:51 AM   #198
Dream
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Anna really deserves more attention than she gets though, she was a great character as well.
All the Anna dolls have been sold out in all the stores around me for weeks now. To be fair, many girls probably settled for her since Elsa has always been nearly impossible to find.
Old April 21 2014, 04:02 AM   #199
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

My mom got my niece an Elsa doll for Easter and I was like "Do you realize that you have gold right there?" lol.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 09:42 PM   #200
Dream
Admiral

Frozen has crossed $400 million at the domestic box office

As you look at that top-grossers list, you don’t find very many female-centric pictures. You’ve got the Leonardio DiCaprio/Kate Winslet-starring Titanic, the action-centric The Hunger Games, and male-skewing films that played well to both genders (pretty much anything that goes that high needs gender-neutral appeal). Frozen is the only unapologetic “chick flick” on the $400m list that had no male heartthrob, mass destruction, or hard action to sell. It is a film not just about a lone woman in a (stereotypically) male-centric genre (war, action, etc.), but about women and with little to entice the male gender beyond its quality.

So yes, Frozen should be celebrated as a box office milestone, both in terms of its final gross, in terms of how it made its money (slowly, fueled by word of mouth), and how it bucked conventional wisdom (it’s an unapologetically female-centric fairy tale). It’s proven yet again that a female-centric film can reach just as high on the blockbuster scale as a conventionally male-centric one.
Frozen has done it!
Old April 27 2014, 12:39 AM   #201
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Awesome I double dipped and got the full Bluray version not long ago. Still hasn't beat Brave in that respect (got the DVD/BR/iTunes although the DVD was a birthday present).
Old April 29 2014, 11:16 AM   #202
Dream
Admiral

I found an amazing interview with director/screenwriter Jennifer Lee about the making of Frozen! Every fan should give it a listen/read.

http://johnaugust.com/2014/frozen-with-jennifer-lee
Old May 14 2014, 07:23 PM   #203
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

So...Elsa's gonna be on Once Upon A Time:

Okay...Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda like Disney spiking the ball? It's like someone in Corporate HQ said, "Okay, not only do we have the number one animated film in history, not only do we have a character so popular soccer moms are fighting police actions over her dolls, let's put that character on the hit TV fairly tale show...on the network we own! "

Me, I love Elsa to death, but I've never seen more than one or two eps of OUAT all the way through, and I don't think even her presence is gonna make me watch it regularly in the fall.

But, I could be wrong...

Old May 14 2014, 08:20 PM   #204
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
So...Elsa's gonna be on Once Upon A Time:

Okay...Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda like Disney spiking the ball? It's like someone in Corporate HQ said, "Okay, not only do we have the number one animated film in history, not only do we have a character so popular soccer moms are fighting police actions over her dolls, let's put that character on the hit TV fairly tale show...on the network we own! "

Me, I love Elsa to death, but I've never seen more than one or two eps of OUAT all the way through, and I don't think even her presence is gonna make me watch it regularly in the fall.

But, I could be wrong...
I don't watch OUAT at all, but I will this next season solely because of adding Elsa.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 08:34 PM   #205
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It might get some OUAT fans to go see the movie as well.

I so wished I like OUAT better, I love the idea but find the show too soapy for my tastes.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 08:40 PM   #206
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

While they will call her Elsa and allude to Frozen, I think if they are looking for an antagonist that she will be more like the Snow Queen in the original H.C. Anderson tale.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 08:54 PM   #207
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I'd never heard of the show until that clip, might watch any episodes shes in just to see what its like.
Old May 14 2014, 11:15 PM   #208
Dream
Admiral

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post that OUAT clip of Elsa.
Old May 14 2014, 11:24 PM   #209
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
While they will call her Elsa and allude to Frozen, I think if they are looking for an antagonist that she will be more like the Snow Queen in the original H.C. Anderson tale.
This is most likely. They introduced the Wicked Witch of the West this way last season and i think she was a villain...

oops...okay, missed this interview:

http://www.eonline.com/news/540908/o...-elsa-and-more

Elsa was locked away in Rumple's dark chamber of horrors, does this mean that our Ice Queen is next year's new villain?
AH: I would say with Elsa that one of the great things about that character and that we loved so much is that she was misunderstood and that is something that we definitely want to carry over into our interpretation.
How true are you going to stay to Elsa's character in the movie? Could we see that classic Once Upon a Time twist with her as well?
AH: Well, it's funny, we're not going to redo the movie, because we just don't feel like it's in anyone's interest for us to redo it. But what we are going to do, we're not ready to tell you. But what we can say is we're very aware of what we think makes this character from Frozen so special and we want to honor that and make sure that what we do is in the universe of everyone fell in love with this past year.

Old May 15 2014, 12:34 AM   #210
Dream
Admiral

I wonder if the OUAT showrunners themselves are fans of Elsa and want her there, or if this is just a mandate to have her on the show from the higher up Disney executives? When the new season starts, Frozen will have been out for almost a year so this doesn't seem like much of a cross promotion, but the movie is not old enough to be grouped with the more classic Disney films. Not new enough, but also not old enough to be a classic. Frozen finds itself in a funny situation as a film.

I heard the OUAT writers really wasted Rapunzel, they didn't give her much to do, so fans shouldn't get their hopes too high for Elsa.