To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2014, 12:28 PM   #1
EmoBorg
Captain

Fate of Orcs in LOTR

I was wondering what happened to the Orcs after the one ring was destroyed and Sauron defeated. Is there any source material that covers this? Were they put in reservations camps like in the events leading up to Warcraft III or were they hunted down and made extinct by Men and Dwarves.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 01:07 PM   #2
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Fate of Orcs in LOTR

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that with Sauron destroyed, the Orcs and Trolls literally became mindless. Without Sauron to control them the Orcs and Trolls lost any ability to organise themselves . It's possible some managed to make their way far east and hide there, but for the most part they were eventually hunted down and killed.

Tolkien toyed with the idea of writing a sequel to LOTR called 'The New Shadow' which would have involved people starting some type of orc cult. However Tolkien only wrote 13 pages before quickly abandoning it.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

I believe the ROTK Appendices mention Aragorn ceeding the land of Mordor to the Orcs / evil humans as long as they remained demilitarized and didn't cross the border.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

The Captains bowed their heads; and when they looked up again, behold! their enemies were flying and the power of Mordor was scattering like dust in the wind. As when death smites the swollen brooding thing that inhabits their crawling hill and holds them all in sway, ants will wander witless and purposeless and then feebly die, so the creatures of Sauron, orc or troll or beast spell-enslaved, ran hither and thither mindless; and some slew themselves, or cast themselves in pits, or fled wailing back to hide in holes and dark lightless places far from hope. But the Men of Rhn and of Harad, Easterling and Southron, saw the ruin of their war and the great majesty and glory of the Captains of the West. And those that were deepest and longest in evil servitude, hating the West, and yet were men proud and bold, in their turn now gathered themselves for a last stand of desperate battle. But the most part fled eastward as they could; and some cast their weapons down and sued for mercy.
RotK, "The Field of Cormallen"
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

Orcburgers...
Old May 12 2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Velocity
Commodore

and barbecued Orc-ribs and fried Orc-loin sandwiches.
Old May 12 2014, 05:55 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

Much like William Shatner, they were typecast and found it very difficult to get any work.

"Ah, yes, Mr Orgblatt, I see you've applied for a job working with the disabled. Unfortunately, I don't think you're the right person for this position."

"But I have all the qualifications!"

"I'm sure you do, but a heavy hand is not what these people need right now."

"What are you talking about? I can be as gentle as a kitten!"

"And add to that the fact that you disabled quite a few of these people yourself..."
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 08:09 AM   #8
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Whilst I find this discussion fascinating, I was wondering:
Can any of you RINGERS recommend a decent LOTR Forum?
Thanks, alot!
Old May 12 2014, 08:10 AM   #9
EmoBorg
Captain

Orcs are like the fantasy world's ultimate villainous race.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 08:10 AM   #10
HIjol
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Orcburgers...
Velocity wrote: View Post
and barbecued Orc-ribs and fried Orc-loin sandwiches.
...with that sassy Sauron Sauce!...fer dippin'...Mmm mmm and ooo wheee, thems good eatin'

"One Ring to Fry Them All"

...we deliver...call our Hobbiton Location!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 12:49 PM   #11
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Whilst I find this discussion fascinating, I was wondering:
Can any of you RINGERS recommend a decent LOTR Forum?
Thanks, alot!
Have you not been to theonering.net? The folks there are generally quite knowledgeable about Tolkien.
Old May 12 2014, 01:38 PM   #12
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Thanks Ancient Mariner! I was not only unaware of theonering.net, but of any LOTR sites, honestly. I've never read the books - not one. In fact, I didn't even start watching the movies until late in '05, or so.

I only got into it that much in a very roundabout way, because of my being an artist, actually. I am interested in Art Nouveau and through conversations about that and, in particular, its resurgence in the Sixties, LOTR was somehow thrown into the mix as having a huge influence over the Hippie Movement. That really compelled me to look into the LOTR, but only superficially. That Tolkien's work could've - especially indirectly - been almost singlehandedly responsible for an entire generation's statement as to what they were about and how that, in turn, found itself reflected in the art of the period was something I wasn't about to just gloss over.

As far as the movies proper go, I found them to be absolutely stunning, visually. "Enchanting" comes to mind, as how I would describe it. And I did fall in love with owyn - I could not help myself! She was very charming and I was disappointed that she didn't get with Aragorn, as the movie seemed to suggest she was going to. But my interest in LOTR didn't go that far. Until recently, because of a documentary called "RINGERS," I believe, I wasn't particularly interested in the modern-day fan perspective. But this project brushed on so many aspects that intrigued me, that I have to admit, I find myself being charmed by the love the fans have for LOTR. How TREKKIE-like they are, in their own way. So, anyway ... there it is.
Old May 12 2014, 04:14 PM   #13
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

In that case, enjoy the site! And, if I'm not mistaken, that documentary originated with some of the people at TORn.
Old May 12 2014, 10:38 PM   #14
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Small favour's greatly received! Yes! This is the very documentary of which I speak. It's interesting how this fairy tale about Wizards and ... and so forth ... can capture the imagination of people whose daily lives would seem beyond mythical to any of these characters in Lord of the Rings. And yet, there's still some part of these RINGERS that wants to believe in Magic, the way ancient peoples might have. The escapism that fantasy offers is at least as interesting as the genre, in my opinion. And when I come across explorations into that, such as the documentary we have here, I'm right there along with them, popcorn and all ... Thanks again, for the link(s).