Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 11 2014, 04:23 PM   #31
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Re: The BBC should be given the chance to make a new star trek

The BBC wouldn't be able to afford to do Star Trek. Compared to Doctor Who it'd require a much bigger regular cast, far more special effects and far more standing sets.

RakuraiStryker wrote: View Post
If Russell T Davies writes, it would be super mega awesome !
Not sure if serious.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 06:00 PM   #32
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Oh god no, try and watch some UK TV on a daily basis and although the BBC has a few quality shows, just like ITV/CH4/5, now and again, its vast bulk is unadulterated rubbish, unless you like Soaps, selling your junk, moving home, and cooking.

No leave ST were it has prospered since it's inception, on American TV, i watch vastly more US TV shows than i watch UK TV through the year.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 03:01 AM   #33
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I was under the distinct impression that NuTREK was being promoted in and catered to the UK and European countries mostly, anyway. If that's true, then CBS partnering with the BBC makes even more sense to me. In general, American television sucks just as bad as it does in any other country, with 6000 channels and nothing on. But a unique partnership such as this, would bring out the best of each entity ... there's no doubt of that. CBS Executives ... "suits" as I believe you like to be called ... if you are reading this, please contact the BBC and close the deal on joint production of new STAR TREK product as soon as possible. We, the fans, are growing impatient ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:59 AM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I was under the distinct impression that NuTREK was being promoted in and catered to the UK and European countries mostly, anyway. If that's true, then CBS partnering with the BBC makes even more sense to me. In general, American television sucks just as bad as it does in any other country, with 6000 channels and nothing on. But a unique partnership such as this, would bring out the best of each entity ... there's no doubt of that. CBS Executives ... "suits" as I believe you like to be called ... if you are reading this, please contact the BBC and close the deal on joint production of new STAR TREK product as soon as possible. We, the fans, are growing impatient ...
Promoted yes, but catered? Don't think so. Traditionally Star Trek has performed poorly overseas. so they have tried to push it a little more and it seems to be working. STID has the highest foreign box office for any Trek film. Not sure that translates into interest by the BBC or any other non-American TV network.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 06:05 AM   #35
2takesfrakes
Commodore

"Catered" basically referring to the casting of Brits in the Guest Spots. I'm trying to remember, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure that Alice Eve didn't even bother "Americanizing" her accent, at all, perhaps with this in mind.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 06:28 AM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
"Catered" basically referring to the casting of Brits in the Guest Spots. I'm trying to remember, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure that Alice Eve didn't even bother "Americanizing" her accent, at all, perhaps with this in mind.
Hardly usual in Hollywood or Star Trek. Tom Hardy and David Warner are British. Alexander Siddig, Marina Sirtis and Patrick Stewart are British. Malcolm McDowell is British.

They decided to go with Eve's natural accent. She's played Americans before. Though Bibi Besch (the original Carol) is not a native born American, she was born in Austria and moved to America as a child.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old May 12 2014, 10:23 AM   #37
MacLeod
Admiral

^As is Dominic Keating.

As for Star Trek underperforming at the International Box Office, I think they did ok in English speaking countries it was the non-English speaking ones they underperformed at (though I'm sure they'll be at least one exception i.e. Germany)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 11:19 AM   #38
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
If the BBC did it, we'd probably only see the Bridge for the first few years, perhaps streching to a corridor by the 6th season.
Well, if the BBC did it, we'd probably have a sum total of fifteen episodes by the sixth series. If they even made it that far.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:33 PM   #39
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
If the BBC did it, we'd probably only see the Bridge for the first few years, perhaps streching to a corridor by the 6th season.
Well, if the BBC did it, we'd probably have a sum total of fifteen episodes by the sixth series. If they even made it that far.
Yes, but it would be spread out over two decades.
Old May 12 2014, 06:59 PM   #40
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
Its all about quality, not quantity--Trek has certainly learned that lesson in VOY and ENT, ramming many mediocre and just plain awful episodes down our throats because they're expected to have over 20 a season.
Old May 12 2014, 11:10 PM   #41
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
. Not sure that translates into interest by the BBC or any other non-American TV network.
Star Trek did well for BBC2 in the 90s - you had three series airing a week always in the top 5. But since digital/satellite channels took off a few years later imports ceased, there was no need for the BBC to buy them, and the new channels outbid them anyway. That happened with Enterprise - the only Star Trek series never shown by the BBC.

I think the last US import on BBC TV was Heroes. They don't touch Sci-Fi these days. Even Red Dwarf had to go off to (commercial channel) Dave.

BBC1 does still try the odd Who like (13 part) commission - the last I think being Atlantis, but even that is co-financed with BBC America. But series of that length really are the exception
Old May 13 2014, 03:47 AM   #42
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Why? So we could get 4 seasons with 3 episodes seemingly aired at random?
Old May 13 2014, 07:32 AM   #43
HIjol
Fleet Captain

I think it was Neyrs who mentioned it back-thread (forgive me if I got the credit wrong) but I think a British-Made "Upstairs-Downstairs"-like Star Trek is inspired...the stories of the crew (and families?) belowdecks...what it really takes to run a Startship, other than asking Scotty for more power...more stories in whatever equivalent to 10-Forward there would be...not getting that promotion...not getting that woman/man...screwing up in the astrophysics lab...sure, Command would figure, but the bulk of the storycarrying would rest on the crew's shoulders...a BIG thumbs up to this, IMHO...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 11:40 AM   #44
Pingfah
Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
6.17pm Saturday Evenings is Star Trek time!
Old May 13 2014, 04:34 PM   #45
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
6.17pm Saturday Evenings is Star Trek time!
Every third Friday in October. Don't miss it! There won't be many.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote