RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 545
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 11 2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Zane1108
Ensign

Regeneration question...

So I just wanted to make one thing clear the Borg in this episode were the ones Picard dealt with in First Contact right? So why didn't Picard scan the surface before he left and see that there were still Borg down there? I remember him saying he didn't want to contaminate the timeline, but didn't he do just that? The episode implied that Picard through a paradox set the wheels in motion for the Borg attack right? Can anyone explain why Picard would leave Borg down on the surface before returning to his time?
Zane1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 08:48 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Regeneration question...

The Enterprise was more than half Borgified at the time. I doubt much was left in proper working condition.
Old May 11 2014, 09:38 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Another possibility is that the debris didn't strike Earth immediatly after the Borg Sphere was destroyed but was Debris that they thought would burn up in the Atmosphere but it somehow managed to survive entry.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 03:26 AM   #4
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The Enterprise was more than half Borgified at the time. I doubt much was left in proper working condition.
On the other hand, given the catastrophe that would result if Borg seeds were overlooked, and that there's no time constraints on when the Enterprise goes back, it's hard to see why the ship couldn't take the time to repair enough sensors to be confident that no Borg equipment had survived.

Maybe Picard believed his Locutus Sense when it told him there wasn't any further workable Borg Stuff on the planet.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:50 AM   #5
Tiberius
Commodore

It didn't pollute the timeline. Picard knew the drones in the wreckage would be discovered, and he made sure that history would play out the way his history books said it had to.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I bet he wishes he'd read those history books before taunting Q that one time. Or maybe actually asked Guinan WHO she was fleeing from back in 2294?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Nebusj wrote: View Post
there's no time constraints on when the Enterprise goes back
I don't know if there's any evidence of that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

Actually, I could see a severe constraint there: the Vulcans arrive. And while they miss the E-E, thanks to "the Moon's gravitational field", what they miss is the hasty escape of the starship. Had she remained behind for a minute longer, she could have been subject to thorough Vulcan scans - the species is known for being anal-retentively methodical, after all.

(Also, I could well see the Vulcans immediately thinking "There are only drunken monkeys down here - where did that warp technology really come from?", meaning it would be very important to hide the starship very quickly!)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Zane1108
Ensign

Tiberius wrote: View Post
It didn't pollute the timeline. Picard knew the drones in the wreckage would be discovered, and he made sure that history would play out the way his history books said it had to.
I have to disagree with this there is no way Picard would leave drone Borg on the surface intentionally.
Old May 15 2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Unless Picard had full knowledge that this was a natural part of the timeline and should not be interfered with. Which is a stretch, but possible.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old May 15 2014, 11:49 PM   #11
Mytran
Fleet Captain

It wouldn't be the first time that Picard felt he had the right to try and tamper with history (see also Yesterday's Enterprise)
Old May 16 2014, 12:03 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ That was *restoring* history, not tampering with it.
Old May 16 2014, 07:07 AM   #13
Tiberius
Commodore

Zane1108 wrote: View Post
I have to disagree with this there is no way Picard would leave drone Borg on the surface intentionally.
Really? Even if he knew that to remove them would mean that history would play out differently and could change the future?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Zane1108
Ensign

Zane1108 wrote: View Post
Really? Even if he knew that to remove them would mean that history would play out differently and could change the future?
How could Picard possibly know that is my question? He had no knowledge of the events that would take place once the Borg were discovered by the scientists. Why would he think this is the natural part of the timeline? The episode implies that Picard in a weird Star Trek way set the wheels in motion for the eventual Borg attack 200 years later and that rubbed me the wrong way.
Old May 16 2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ That was *restoring* history, not tampering with it.
That was just Picard's bit of spin to try and convince his senior staff to go along with the word of a bartender. In reality, he had no way of knowing whether the last 20 years of history were "correct" or not, since he had lived every day and they were very real to him!

Call it what you will, this War-Picard had made the unilateral decision to try and change history for everyone.